Digital Image Transfer

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hey Everybody.
A few of us were talking about different ways to transfer a trace or line drawing before painting. I have used Procreate on the iPad to trace the lines, then drop the opacity so they’re pretty faint and then print. But because I do most of my work on Aluminium panels, I don’t often do this. Anyways, I thought it would be a good talking point as no doubt some of you have genius methods that my feeble brain hasn’t thought of yet lol.
So help a brother out and let me know your digital methods. Or any transfer method come to that!

I print and use graphite paper to transfer it.
Also have an Artograph Tracer. for larger surfaces. (but a digital would be better)
I've been thinking about using the Cameo for tracing On synthetic paper.
Ordinary pencils wear out too quickly.
But 2 layers of paper on the mat with graphite paper in between and a ballpoint pen might work. haven't tried it yet.

I scan the sketch, then divide it into severa a4 sheets, print the sheets, quickly cover the back sheet with a pencil / graphite, stitch the sheets in the substrate (cardboard), and then transfer the major proportions by tracing them.

I use graphite paper and hand trace the ref photo , to me tracing a ref by hand is a major part in studying the ref finding all shapes and shades I need

I print and use graphite paper to transfer it.
Also have an Artograph Tracer. for larger surfaces. (but a digital would be better)
I've been thinking about using the Cameo for tracing On synthetic paper.
Ordinary pencils wear out too quickly.
But 2 layers of paper on the mat with graphite paper in between and a ballpoint pen might work. haven't tried it yet.
Using the Cameo is a really interesting idea. I often don’t think of the drawing capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to add to this thread.

This is for cameo

silhouette-marker-holder-size.jpg

silhouette-marker-holder.jpg

https://www.craft-e-corner.com/blogs/project-inspiration/how-to-draw-with-your-silhouette-cameo

I wonder where can I get one of these :whistling:

Anybody owns original cameo pen holder? I wonder if it can hold a pencil as well.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/PEN-HOLDER2-3T

Also , there are also washable markers on the market.
https://www.michaels.com/primary-fi...5e08f11ec81b7903a0a180513&cjdata=MXxZfDB8WXww

Last edited:
Yes, you can also put pencils in the original.
But the pencil wears out with large designs or with a lot of detail.
I had too dark lines in the beginning and almost nothing at the end.
Especially with soft pencils.
IMG_20220531_064035 (Medium).jpg

Anybody owns original cameo pen holder? I wonder if it can hold a pencil as well.

My plotter has pen holder, why yours can not do the same? Actually, it holds not the whole pen, but inner thing that hold ink in it. I'm a bit lazy to search for translation of the thing:) I think, you understand what I'm talking about.
I saw tons of holders for different plotter models on Ali, you could search there. More likely, you'll find what you search for.

My plotter has pen holder, why yours can not do the same? Actually, it holds not the whole pen, but inner thing that hold ink in it. I'm a bit lazy to search for translation of the thing:) I think, you understand what I'm talking about.
I saw tons of holders for different plotter models on Ali, you could search there. More likely, you'll find what you search for.
I didn't get an idea there are pen holders available. I don't know how that slipped my mind :lipssealed:

Hey Everybody.
A few of us were talking about different ways to transfer a trace or line drawing before painting. I have used Procreate on the iPad to trace the lines, then drop the opacity so they’re pretty faint and then print. But because I do most of my work on Aluminium panels, I don’t often do this. Anyways, I thought it would be a good talking point as no doubt some of you have genius methods that my feeble brain hasn’t thought of yet lol.
So help a brother out and let me know your digital methods. Or any transfer method come to that!

If they're flat, you can use a computer projector to project an image onto the substrate.

If you're painting on a curved aluminum surface, you might consider printing the line drawing on vellum, then spraying a coat of low tack adhesive onto the back of the vellum drawing and then placing that directly onto the subtrate.

Other options for smaller drawings could be to used a traditional Camera Lucida or the Camera Lucida app for the iPhone. It's a really effective way to transfer drawings for small projects.

Back