dilution of colors Wicked

D

Domes

Looking for:
In what ratio is diluted with standard color Wicked Detail?
water: color
Thanks for the information

you dont use water to dilute wicked colors, at least i dont, they make a wicked thinner especially for wicked paints, i dont think it is a water based paint

Wicked is a water born paint. I believe you can use water if you have to, but I have never and wouldn't. You need to get you some of the reducer, it is great!! As far as ratios, 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer is a good mix with the wicked detail, but some you can use straight out of the bottle and be fine.

I would put some paint in the airbrush and reduce as needed to get it flowing to how you will like it. The more you practice, you will learn more than just how to paint. There is no standard ratio it's all how you like to reduce it to fit your style of painting.

Wicked is a water born paint. I believe you can use water if you have to, but I have never and wouldn't. You need to get you some of the reducer, it is great!! As far as ratios, 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer is a good mix with the wicked detail, but some you can use straight out of the bottle and be fine.

I would put some paint in the airbrush and reduce as needed to get it flowing to how you will like it. The more you practice, you will learn more than just how to paint. There is no standard ratio it's all how you like to reduce it to fit your style of painting.

just like the man said, u can reduce wicked paint up to 100 percent and it still looks good, it all up to the user,

I think you can reduce it with water specialy if you only do practice stuff. It should be also no problem to reduce with water when you only work on paper,
but if you wanna spray on a hard surface or when your project will be exposed to sunlight then you need to use the reducer. With the reducer the colors remain
more lightfast and also will have more grip on a hard surface then reducing with water.

I think you can reduce it with water specialy if you only do practice stuff. It should be also no problem to reduce with water when you only work on paper,
but if you wanna spray on a hard surface or when your project will be exposed to sunlight then you need to use the reducer. With the reducer the colors remain
more lightfast and also will have more grip on a hard surface then reducing with water.

well said, you should probably goto to wicked web site, or createx site, for specs, or ask mitch, he made a vid on thinning paint

I tried it out yet 2:1 reduction and it looks good. I'll try and see. Tomorrow I would like to embark on his first, a color image. Wish me luck :)

good luck , i usually go 6 to 1 reducer to color ratio on wicked colors so if i screw up it wont be to hard to correct, you will figure it out, just mess around with it and dont get to serious, its just paint, air, and pressure,

the thing about wicked colors is you can reduce them quite a bit and they still perform well, just mess around on a piece of scrap paper

pete, the helpful guy from createx uk informed me you can pretty much reduce wicked paints as much as you like, the whole point of reducer is it gives the paint something to bind to, which water alone does not. you can pretty much reduce opaques until they become trans-parents using the intended reducer. I could be 100% wrong as i havnt tried reducing all the way to transparent but i may give it a go with a small amount of paint/test piece

pete, the helpful guy from createx uk informed me you can pretty much reduce wicked paints as much as you like, the whole point of reducer is it gives the paint something to bind to, which water alone does not. you can pretty much reduce opaques until they become trans-parents using the intended reducer. I could be 100% wrong as i havnt tried reducing all the way to transparent but i may give it a go with a small amount of paint/test piece

Hi there,
If you wanna make the opaques transparent its even abit better to also add the Transparent Base to the colors and not only the reducer. The transparent Base is like the body of the color without the pigments.
So with this one the colors wont be too thinn as if they would be when you only use the reducer.

I'm having problems using wicked detail black paint.
i get a nice even spray line to start with, then it won't spray any paint unless I pull right back on the trigger, then it splurges, runs ok for a few seconds, and then no paint will come out. I'm using 0100 wicked reducer, but on the back of the label it say's to reduce it with w100 reducer.which is a bit confusing.
I'm using a iwata cm-sb, all my other colours are working ok.
Any help will be much appreciated,
regards
Adam

ps. I've strained the paint twice using a tea bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having problems using wicked detail black paint.
i get a nice even spray line to start with, then it won't spray any paint unless I pull right back on the trigger, then it splurges, runs ok for a few seconds, and then no paint will come out. I'm using 0100 wicked reducer, but on the back of the label it say's to reduce it with w100 reducer.which is a bit confusing.
I'm using a iwata cm-sb, all my other colours are working ok.
Any help will be much appreciated,
regards
Adam

ps. I've strained the paint twice using a tea bag.

Hi Adamn,
the problem how you describe it sounds alot like tip dry on the top of the needle. If it wont spray good anymore and you have to pull back more and more to get paint, unscrew the needle cap
and have a look if there is dried paint on the needle tip. If so, gently zip the paint off with the fingers or a paper towel or even a soft paint brush. Just be very careful not to bend the needle or damage
the nozzle. I do have alot of problems with tip dry when i use the Wicked colors, cause those paints dry up very fast. And the reducer that you have is the correct one, its the same that came with my
Wicked colors.

Andreas

Hi Andreas,
I thought it might be tip dry at first as well, but I have been cleaning the tip of my needle. and tried increasing and decreasing my air pressure.
My coloured paints are runing through the brush with no problems at all. I use magic colour acryllics, which don't need any reduction. The quasar black won't go through my brush either, I originally thought that it was coz the paint is quite old and might have gone off, which is why I bought the wicked stuff.
I do get some bubbling in the paint cup as well when trying to spray black. Could my O-ring need replacing??
Adam

Hi Andreas,
I thought it might be tip dry at first as well, but I have been cleaning the tip of my needle. and tried increasing and decreasing my air pressure.
My coloured paints are runing through the brush with no problems at all. I use magic colour acryllics, which don't need any reduction. The quasar black won't go through my brush either, I originally thought that it was coz the paint is quite old and might have gone off, which is why I bought the wicked stuff.
I do get some bubbling in the paint cup as well when trying to spray black. Could my O-ring need replacing??
Adam

Hmmm thats hard to tell from here. Usualy bubbling also can happen when the tip of the needle is blocked with dry paint, i have that sometimes too. I would think if the O-ring would be
broken you should have problems with all colors then. Is white working good? Usualy white is giving more problems then black. Is your Iwata using the 0.18mm nozzle setup?
If so then you might need to thinn out the black even more since it usualy is thicker then other colors. I have a H&S Evolution with a 0.15mm nozzle, and there is have like tip dry
every 10 seconds or so, since such a small nozzle gets clogged up in front very fast. Then it results in bubbling. My bet is still on tip dry or maybe even slightly clogged nozzle
with the black color.

Andreas

Yes it's the 0.18 set up.
The wicked detail white runs great through it, with only the need for a few drops of reducer. I do get tip dry quite badly, it makes a kind of squeaking sound just before it's going to spit, so I know when to give the needle a clean. I have had a look at the nozzle, I have a very small sable brush that just fits it, I've given it a good clean with thinners so that you can see the sheen of the metal right down to the tip.
Thanks greatly for your help Andreas, I'll try reducing it even further and see how I get on. Could even be a dodgy bottle of paint at a guess.

Yes it's the 0.18 set up.
The wicked detail white runs great through it, with only the need for a few drops of reducer. I do get tip dry quite badly, it makes a kind of squeaking sound just before it's going to spit, so I know when to give the needle a clean. I have had a look at the nozzle, I have a very small sable brush that just fits it, I've given it a good clean with thinners so that you can see the sheen of the metal right down to the tip.
Thanks greatly for your help Andreas, I'll try reducing it even further and see how I get on. Could even be a dodgy bottle of paint at a guess.

No problem Adam, i just hope you get the problem sortet out. Usualy i mostly read that people have a problem specialy with white.
Since white works great then your O-ring is fine for sure in my opinion. My only guess right now is big pigments in the black paint for now.

Back