Direction Direction?

A

Arty

On a previous post I mentioned that I was given an airbrush kit for a present of which I am very grateful. I have been practicing my dots and daggers etc and I am now at that stage of having to make decisions. The kit I have is not a quality one and seeing that I am a budding artist and progressing well with brushes and different media I would like to do the same with airbrushing. I must admit I have been watching so many videos and reading so many articles I have got what's known as "Information Overload". The compressor I have gives me a max 20psi and I have been told an artist needs 40-50psi?. I know I will also need a good airbrush as I will need to be doing very fine lines and blends. The art I will be starting with will be on canvas & board etc and then hopfully progressing on to metals as well. So I would greatly appreciate it if you could recommend the type of airbrushes and compressors I should be buying at this stage.
Thanks
Arty

40-5o psi is only really necessary for syphon feed brushes, or gravity our side feed if you where to use them for th shirts ad you have to rally hammer down the paint. if you over reduce your paint you can spray as low as 3-5 psi.....don't forget that is pounds per square inch, you are spreading through a nozzle which is a fraction of a millimetre so the pressure is still there enough to force paint through.....compressor wise, you want something with a tank, obviously the bigger the tank the better and bigger the motor the better but with a bigger motor comes bigger noise.....maybe save your money til you can get a nice silent compressor like bambi (of nose will be a factor) if nose is no trouble then world is your oyster......badger make a great range of brushes, I would highly recommend the renegade series....I have the renegade velocity myself and its so great detail brush.....high spec and great value

Buy a cheap 25 litre compressor from any big hardware store m8 if noise ain't an issue. The general ab PSI range is anywhere between 15 PSI up to 40 or so PSI but depends a great deal on type of paint, type of gun etc etc. So a newie may be warranted..On the guns, if you want a good allrounder I'd suggest a Badger 150, it comes with three different needles for different uses, will go really detailed if required or really coarse. Its a syphon feed but you can mount a side cup so for me its a great starter gun with lots of options to supe it up (IE A bullet tip for even tighter detail), but any good brand gun be it syphon or gravity should get you a good start, you can always upgrade later but stick with a well known brand to avoid any dissapointment..GL and enjoy the hobby..

40-5o psi is only really necessary for syphon feed brushes, or gravity our side feed if you where to use them for th shirts ad you have to rally hammer down the paint. if you over reduce your paint you can spray as low as 3-5 psi.....don't forget that is pounds per square inch, you are spreading through a nozzle which is a fraction of a millimetre so the pressure is still there enough to force paint through.....compressor wise, you want something with a tank, obviously the bigger the tank the better and bigger the motor the better but with a bigger motor comes bigger noise.....maybe save your money til you can get a nice silent compressor like bambi (of nose will be a factor) if nose is no trouble then world is your oyster......badger make a great range of brushes, I would highly recommend the renegade series....I have the renegade velocity myself and its so great detail brush.....high spec and great value

Many thanks Ad fez. I appreciate your helpful comments, I will check out the Renegade and Compressor and get myself back on track.
Thanks again
Regards
Arty

have a look, the velocity and krome both are able to take a .21 and a .30 nozzle/needle (ultra fine and fine) so its a god one to progress with.....if I can be any more help let me know

Buy a cheap 25 litre compressor from any big hardware store m8 if noise ain't an issue. The general ab PSI range is anywhere between 15 PSI up to 40 or so PSI but depends a great deal on type of paint, type of gun etc etc. So a newie may be warranted..On the guns, if you want a good allrounder I'd suggest a Badger 150, it comes with three different needles for different uses, will go really detailed if required or really coarse. Its a syphon feed but you can mount a side cup so for me its a great starter gun with lots of options to supe it up (IE A bullet tip for even tighter detail), but any good brand gun be it syphon or gravity should get you a good start, you can always upgrade later but stick with a well known brand to avoid any dissapointment..GL and enjoy the hobby..

Many Thanks RebelAir for your advice. I will be more focused when I check everything out. The wife is threatening to throw me out into the garage to do my airbrushing, so perhaps it's a good excuse to go much BIGGER on the compressor!
Cheers
Arty

Don't get one that is loud. i have destroyd a couple of drawing when the compressor starts, gets scared and the result becomes
full flow with paint , not a nice result :p

I'm in the garage, I've just got a little ebay special....it didn't warrant being expunged in the garage.

I sense I may of used wrong word using expunged but hey I like it

I let my loud as hell 20gallon fill up to 155 psi and turn it off.. The tank lasts a real long time shooting in the 20-30 psi range.

Back