Disaster stroke me!! :)

Dimitris

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hey everybody!,
as the title says, complete mess up!

I was working on a guitar themed jimi hendrix-purple haze and was complete with the artwork and graphics.
The plan was to cover the whole surface with purple candy. As I started applying the layers of it, the vinyl that was adhered (for the star stripes) began to show up! How was that caused? The artwork was set to dry for at least 8 hours, haven't seen that happening before!

And to get things worst, after I've noticed that, I thought I was pouring cleaner to check it better while I was pouring solvent cleaner!!

:eek::alien::cry::cry:

forum examplr.jpg

the vinyl that was adhered (for the star stripes) began to show up! How was that caused? The artwork was set to dry for at least 8 hours, haven't seen that happening before!
View attachment 60744
Vinyl or glue? I tried to understand what are you trying to explain, but screw me I am bad with english... What happened when you removed the vinyl?

When Devil has kids, he has many of them at the same time :eek:

oh I figure it out. Paint went under the vinyl.... What vinyl do you use?
no paint gone under the vinyl, but wherever the vinyl was placed left onto the surface (onto the under layer) the rectangle shape you see... But it showed up only when I applied the candy (hope I explained it better..). It's Orafol

how do you press your vinyl on that guitar ? by hand?

When I use vinyl I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TECKWRAP-Pla...?keywords=vinyl+scraper&qid=1570719482&sr=8-4

or this:
396286.jpg

no paint gone under the vinyl, but wherever the vinyl was placed left onto the surface (onto the under layer) the rectangle shape you see... But it showed up only when I applied the candy (hope I explained it better..). It's Orafol
is candy solvent? If so I guess your vinyl is not solvent proof.

try using oramask
ORAMASK 813 Paint Mask Stencil
This rigid, transparent blue PVC film has been formulated for stencil applications, especially spray and paint techniques. ORACAL 813 features a low-tack, water-based adhesive. It is ideal for water-based paint applications; smooth, flat, rigid substrates and surfaces; large area capabilities; and applications requiring background visibility.

got few different options:
https://www.orafol.com/en/europe/products/oramask-810-stencil-film

orafol is a business which makes vinyl. So your info is not good enough , cause orafol has many different vinyl you can chose from :D

https://www.orafol.com/en/europe/

https://www.orafol.com/en/europe/products/category/graphic-innovations-cad-cam-vinyls

For stencil they have:

The compatibility of the selected lacquers and paints should be tested by the user, prior to application of the material. Furthermore, the application information published by ORAFOL must be considered. The batch traceability according to ISO 9001 is possible on the basis of the rol

Last edited:
I'm buying the 810, that's what I'm used to, just can't figure out why this happened... Have done this numerous times.
I edited my post a little. Added some info. I would take some vinyl put it on a paper, grab some candy and spray over it again to see what is happening. Is candy solvent?

Couple things look like they happened at the same time - the first is that it looks like your vinyl left an adhesive residue behind when you removed it. If you used a bleed checker, or clear coat between your artwork, and candy, it looks like whatever you had your candy mixed with ate through it where it laid on top of the adhesive residue. The adhesive residue may have prevented the paint laying on top of it from curing completely. If you did not have a bleed checker, or clear coat down, well - you should have. There are product that will remove adhesive residue while not effecting the paint around it, but I m not real familiar with the stuff... perhaps others will have a name brand recommendation.

Experience comes from painful steps...

I edited my post a little. Added some info. I would take some vinyl put it on a paper, grab some candy and spray over it again to see what is happening. Is candy solvent?

Nope, it's candy2o husky.

Couple things look like they happened at the same time - the first is that it looks like your vinyl left an adhesive residue behind when you removed it. If you used a bleed checker, or clear coat between your artwork, and candy, it looks like whatever you had your candy mixed with ate through it where it laid on top of the adhesive residue. The adhesive residue may have prevented the paint laying on top of it from curing completely. If you did not have a bleed checker, or clear coat down, well - you should have. There are product that will remove adhesive residue while not effecting the paint around it, but I m not real familiar with the stuff... perhaps others will have a name brand recommendation.

Experience comes from painful steps...

Thanks DaveG, I'll have to run some experiments with the vinyl, it's a new batch I just purchased. What still bothers me is that when I applied the pearl I wanted and pulled off the vinyl, no signs of damage or defects were noticed on the artwork... Only when I applied the candy were shown...

That sucks Buddy! I feel for you. Only thing I can think of is that the vinyl left a small amount of adhesive. Did you clean after removing the vinyl and before spraying the candy?
I feel you my friend, I hope you can find a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excrementty situation!:( What you've described gives me not mere guess what that can be.
There's only one thought, that using normal urethane materials are not giving such surprises. How can that happen with WB paint I have no idea (never used the material you've used here). Maybe additives containing in that paint caused this to the tape?
How much time have you spent already? But what time... that sucks.

excrementty situation!:( What you've described gives me not mere guess what that can be.
There's only one thought, that using normal urethane materials are not giving such surprises. How can that happen with WB paint I have no idea (never used the material you've used here). Maybe additives containing in that paint caused this to the tape?
How much time have you spent already? But what time... that sucks.
the material he used is exactly for what he is using. I am using the same and no problems here. But I don't use candies. Even if I try to flood that vinyl, not a drop of paint will go true that vinyl and on surface under the vinyl.

I'll try to salvage as much as I can and try to fix it. But I'll do some test pieces to see what's going on.

Back