DIY AB Cleaning Pot

Vladimir

Detail Decepticon!
For normal work in the studio when ABing cleaning pot is a must.
I wanted to buy factory made for several times I was at our airbrush supplies importer office, but the size of the filter stopped me:)

When I'm in the shop malls, I always watch around to find smth useful for ABing. So, once being to kitchen dept, I've found interesting pot and an idea strikes me there;)

Not to speak long, here's how my idea's come true:

P1011233.JPG P1011234.JPG

Random pot and AB Cleaning pot;)

P1011239.JPG
To make this you need:

Dremel tool with diamond bit (straight shape)
Pot
Electric cable seal
Used charcoal filter cartridges from the respirator

Caution! Be extremely careful when cutting the hole for the insert! Keep the tool straight! Wear safety goggles!!!

P1010972.JPG P1010997.JPG
There are several sizes of the cable sealers, so chose one to fit your AB dimensions.
Cable sealer allows to make the hole for AB head of different diameter by only screwing in/out it:

P1011237.JPG

... and to fit any airbrush:

P1010981.JPG

So, in the end we have good working result for ridiculous price, but what's the most important for me, with huge size of the filter, compared to those installed in factory made AB cleaning pots.
I've worked with similar and it works great.
To be continued.

There are different designs of the pots and cartridges, so the end result is different.
In some I needed only to sand down the sides of cartridge body to fit the pot, in some the size of the cartridge is too big to come inside, so I could only cut the mesh and it's the thing needed to hold the filters in place. But with whole cartridge installed it looks more solid.

The filter material is air filter for the spray booth. I believe, fall/winter clothes lining would also work, as it's similar to air filter but only of less density. A few layers would work good, I think. Such type of the air filter is widely used in ventilation.

P1011238.JPG P1011241.JPG

Here's how the filter looks like after some use. First layer stops most of the aerosols sprayed inside the pot, other layers are only contaminated with finest spray particles.
BTW, I use urethane paint.

P1011229.JPG

I've bought several sizes of the pots. They're also have different lids.
Those smaller size pots are of bigger volume than factory made I've seen. But what matters more - the size of the filter.
The big size is going to be used on the AB station table top for cleaning and colourmatching and smaller size I intend to use at the painting area.

P1011230.JPG

I ordered some teflon inserts, one of which you can see installed in the right pot. Haven't had time to experiment with others, this one works good.

You can see the crack in the glass near the insert. It's the reason why I've told to keep rotary tool strait when cutting the hole for the insert. I've moved the tool to the side and got a crack.
But even lightly cracked the pot works great.

P1011245.JPG

Generally speaking, it's the ideas to make your own, if you have a wish to spend some cash and time:)
Though, factory made is not that expensive. Only disadvantage they have is small filter. I wonder how often do you change them...
Those I've made are convenient and work great.

Respirator cartridges and pots are of different sizes, so I wouldn't expect that anything would fit. These are just general ideas for making your own.
When you'll make yours, show it!:)

Back