DIY or Do it NOT yourself?

Johnny_mazzei

Young Tutorling
Hi people,
I'm looking to buy my starter gear for the airbrush and there are so many choices a i've been reading a lot about models and types:confused:. I'm a total begginer and first of all it is to be used/practice mostly in my appartement. I would like to know how to do some letterings are monochrome pictures. Not to much complicated stuff on helmets, bikes, cars. So I've start looking with what to start. My choice for the airbrush was for the hp-C plus from iwata. I guess it is good enough for the start and also after. Colors I found Schminke nearby, so that problem is also solved also :thumbsup:.

But now as my budget is almost invested in the gun, i was looking for a compressor around 150$/€.
So I started looking around and for something that make a constant line and under 50db it is difficult, and I saw that DIY compressor with fridge pump recycled from the dump/trash.

Is it a good way to saw money and get started or should i let my fingers away of that choice?
Did someone tried it an of course is it not much complicated to assemble?

Thank you very much for the help and tricks

are you looking for just an airbrush compressor or something that will also run a touch up gun?and will it have to be quite?

Hi people,
I'm looking to buy my starter gear for the airbrush and there are so many choices a i've been reading a lot about models and types:confused:. I'm a total begginer and first of all it is to be used/practice mostly in my appartement. I would like to know how to do some letterings are monochrome pictures. Not to much complicated stuff on helmets, bikes, cars. So I've start looking with what to start. My choice for the airbrush was for the hp-C plus from iwata. I guess it is good enough for the start and also after. Colors I found Schminke nearby, so that problem is also solved also :thumbsup:.

But now as my budget is almost invested in the gun, i was looking for a compressor around 150$/€.
So I started looking around and for something that make a constant line and under 50db it is difficult, and I saw that DIY compressor with fridge pump recycled from the dump/trash.

Is it a good way to saw money and get started or should i let my fingers away of that choice?
Did someone tried it an of course is it not much complicated to assemble?

Thank you very much for the help and tricks
One don't get caught cutting the refrigerator lines because it is against the law to let that refrigerant gas into the air. The California Air Tool compressor is right around that price and is pretty darn quiet in the demo.

Hp-c plus is an excellent brush for that type of work.
7e59354cb7ff7d02b65510e2c7cdd1d3.jpg
thats what I used on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Well it is for just airbrush use. Not a touch up gun. Noise is an important issue cause i am using it inside my apartment.
With the refrigerator i meant just the pump built on a broken compressor with tank. Without the whole gas system.
But I looked at the California Tool Mp100lf. It looks good, but how good is it? I just don't want to invest wrong

btw the picture looks very good and the iwata can manage also details. thats great

Thanks again guys for the help and tips

Last edited:
I also looked at the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution 2 in 1 Airbrush. Reviews are pro and against instead the iwata has just 100% good reviews

I've not used the California air tools gear but I've not heard no bad reports about their gear.

I've been around here a while and although there's a possibility of a fault in any product, I have to say that I could probably count on one hand issues with Iwata out of the box (Later through user error maybe more lol) and I see all the posts. It's why I'm a fan, they just work.

As for compressor, the California air mentioned above is a very popular choice. I think the db's are 60? (possibly lol) anyway, whatever it was is compared to normal conversation volume, so not louder than a tv. Plus you can deaden the noise by standing it on a rubber mat, and even making a box if that was too loud for you. Members here have converted to fridge motors in the past. If you use the search function you should be able to find posts about it. I guess it depends on your definition of complicated. If you are not phased by that kind of thing and know what you're doing then its do-able. Personally its not something I would attempt. For an easy life I opt for the california air. After the positive reviews I've seen here regarding performance and value for money, I would get one myself - sadly they are not available here.

I've been around here a while and although there's a possibility of a fault in any product, I have to say that I could probably count on one hand issues with Iwata out of the box (Later through user error maybe more lol) and I see all the posts. It's why I'm a fan, they just work.

As for compressor, the California air mentioned above is a very popular choice. I think the db's are 60? (possibly lol) anyway, whatever it was is compared to normal conversation volume, so not louder than a tv. Plus you can deaden the noise by standing it on a rubber mat, and even making a box if that was too loud for you. Members here have converted to fridge motors in the past. If you use the search function you should be able to find posts about it. I guess it depends on your definition of complicated. If you are not phased by that kind of thing and know what you're doing then its do-able. Personally its not something I would attempt. For an easy life I opt for the california air. After the positive reviews I've seen here regarding performance and value for money, I would get one myself - sadly they are not available here.

That's what i see to. The model i mentioned seems to be a good deal for the price and power. Unfortunately I'm also from Europe and they are not to get here. Even through ebay except you pay an expensive taxes and shipping

Check out spar max. They might have something in the right range. Speaking to fridge motor people the fridge compressors modifued don't last long as they are designed to pump liquid and are now pumping air. If you don't mind replacing the motor every so often as well that can certainly work. As long as you can get de gassed motors.

If you do the fridge motor you need a partial separator after the motor and before the tank then a moisture trap after the tank. It is best to build in a sight window to see the oil level and on the intake line a Air filter that can be removed so you can add oil. They do push oil with the air. You can mostly find 1/4 horse but there are 1/2 horses. I built one with a 1 horse air conditioner unit but it spit oil out of the back pressure valve in between cycles so I stopped using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

That doesn't sou'd really healthy.
I looked at the sparmax to. But they are expensive ass hell. A friend of mine bought an ac-100 from them for 180$ and that was for the cheap no tank compressor. and as I see on Ebay with other brand they are really expensive. Sadly as I told California Tool is hard to find in Europe :(

Sorry Johnny I thought you were in US. I am in UK so feel your pain. No silent cheap compressors here. Try searching Junair or Silair, you might find a good used one.

Hi together,
here a little update of the situation. With the Iwata hp-c + it went wrong and i might now buy a h&s evolution 2in1. Should be also good for the start and to improve. Still looking how it will evolve with the situation.

Well and for the compressor it will be do it NOT yourself. So I won't hae the trouble of the oil or other stuff in my paint or other problem that will make that I am more repairing my compressor instead of painting.
So I started to look on Ebay and stuff and I found some 3 interesting ones.

First one: Sil Air 20a 170€
2nd: HANSA Aero-pro 20a 200€
3rd: jun-air TROLL 230€

These 3 are not to expensive an I think they are also pretty good for inside my apartment. Has some of you worked with one of these or have some tipps to give. Cause for example I dont want to pay 60€ more for one that is nearly the same as the 170€ compressor. These could be the money that i could invest more on the airbrush itself or other things like colors.

Thank you very much again for all the infos and help that i can get. This forum is the only way to get right infos because all the shops here in the country (Luxembourg, EU) want to sell you the cheap no name stuff for 150$ and tells you that it is professional stuff XD.

What went wrong with the Iwata? Hope I didn't jinx it :-o, its very rare they have issues.

The first two compressors are pretty similar I believe, not sure about the Jun-air, but it is a good name and used a lot by dentists, though not sure about that particular model.

Back