DIY Paint Booth did you make one lets see it.

Run a hose into a cutout hole in the lid of a five gallon bucket filled partially with water, but don’t submerge the hose. Airflow will force paint particles onto the water which will trap them. Drill a few smaller holes in the lid so air can escape so there will be airflow.

Seeing as there are minimal fumes and VOCs associated with water based acrylics not sure a carbon filter is necessary.
That sounds like a great idea. Also close to a cyclone separating particles from the air! Thanks Colin!

So think it belongs here; this is my current airbrush booth made of an old raised bed. Paint t is needed.

Problem to solve: acrylic paint without option to vent outside.

Idea is to create a side filterbox with particle filter - into - box with 500m3 radial fan -through - carbon filter as exhaust filter for final fumes & reduce speed.

Curious if I missed something?!?
A centrifugal fan is a good choice for carbon filters, due to there usally higher static air pressure than axial fans. An typicaly quiter. And I would mount the carbon filter on the out let of it. Don't get hung up on round ducting Or what it is made from, taped cardboard is fine indoors for ducting. And bigger square or rectanglar ducts, the better more efficent use of space.
Some things to keep in mind.
:Air will move to a low pressure area. I know it sound obvious
but think of your system, as a series of low pressure areas with each area dealing with different types of particals size wettness ect.
: A negative pressure system will have less intrusive leaks
: Use gravity to your advantage. Paint particals fall as soon as they leave the airbrush drawing from the bottom of the booth is offen overlooked and could be better than the end
Particals have a mass 100s to 1000s of times more than air. So take avantage of necessary 90 degree turns in your ducting the air will go around the corner the particals will want to travel straight ahead, smack into the duct wall and slide down hot gluing a jar lid with a hole in it. Under the outside corner of a 4 sided duct, then screwing a jar on will reduce partical load on filters
:The lower the air velosity through filters the more time the carbon has to catch those VOC's so bigger better
:The lower the air velocity in ducts the more time particals have to fall out of the air stream and clog filters. As well reduced friction losses so mount your fans draw at the top of ducts
:Air is sticky It wants to stay attached to the walls of the duct the faster the air velosity the thicker that layer gets
: What ever your fan is attached too. It will beat it like a base drum. Polyurathane Soft foam tape is your friend. Mounting directly to the booth usally guarantees an industrial orchestral painting environment.
Hope the tips help. You don't need to spend a fortune to have an efficient quite system

That sounds like a great idea. Also close to a cyclone separating particles from the air! Thanks Colin!
Earlier in this thread I think posted a YouTube link on my recent booth I made, its in 2 parts one part with me at a whiteboard waffling the 2nd of the booth itself and a old LCD tv with the screen removed as a light source
The inclusion of a 1D3D cyclone would increase the life span by 3 or 4 fold of most particulate filters but to build one is a pain and take up space
Looking at your work area I slide the table top out about 50 to 100mm leaveing a gap at the back wall with that sized fan. I would only have it a meter long to 1500mm if you go narrower, then I would use 2 layers of dressmaking wadding over light weight mesh like 600mm high. Leaning the top of the screen 150 to 200mm towards you will help even out the draw through the wadding at the top. To catch as many wet particals befor there injested by the duct, fan and motor. You will need at least a diameter around each side of the intakes. The upside is the air going into a centrifugal fan spins, another opportunity with housing design to remove particulates befor there injested by the fan there is always a compromise between price, practicality, and space. Dont under estimate large flat bottom ducts with low velocity air stream with humidity to remove particals. I paint fishing lures with DeBeer solvent and 2 pack urethane clears, time, not overspray is my concern with my booth then being gassed to death. And I cheap too 😂🤣😂
Ohhh The clip is on the first page

I do tend to be a little flippant and blarsay but painting in an enclosed room less than 48 cubic meters and relying on filters with out a way for outside air turn over 4 to 5 times an hour is dangerous. No matter what paint your using.....

I do tend to be a little flippant and blarsay but painting in an enclosed room less than 48 cubic meters and relying on filters with out a way for outside air turn over 4 to 5 times an hour is dangerous. No matter what paint your using.....
Yes so true. So I have two small passive (125mm/5inch) holes through a outside wall but first tests seems no effective movement of air to the outside. It also narrows down into a smaller square and not intended for active flow. Hence only acrylic paints and opted for the recirculation option to chose the least toxic solution.

Again good point, health first.

2 5 inch holes should do the trick if they are at the top of the wall, natural thermal syphoning should do the trick it is not much of a draft at those levels when you take into account how leaky houses are around doors, gaps in plastering, flooring and light fittings just opening a door displaces a fair volume so don't get to excited
You don't want to much ventilation you need your friends to savor a good Bottom burp😂🤣😂

This is a concept suggestion, of what I would do. It is in no way garantees a best solution but favors my priorities and assumptions of sizes, vacuume, pressures and air volumes. I have only done calcs in my head and my drawing is just "a thumbnail dipped tar". (Oz Poet Banjo Patterson)
I would only make the feather board if the upper draw was important to what you are painting. The more layers of wadding will induce a more even draw across the wadding filter. But each layer reduces air velocity into the wadding filter area. Just a warning about wadding it only filters wet particals and appropriately charged particals the spaces between fibers are random and way to large to filter but it is cheap and readily available in rolls and can be cleaned. Another material I would concider is plastic coreflute from old house for sale and political signs are a free source for duct and some good 50mm fabric wide gaffer tape.
Any questions welcomed

Attachments

• 20231001_120015.jpg
    20231001_120015.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes that is exactly the first idea. The only change I am considerin to extract to the side, this way I do not narrow the dept of my working table. This also is more easy in constructing since I have a empty space on my left side of the bench. Particle traps good point, will try if I can integrate them. So first I am gonna remove a bit of plaster around the two passive vents and insert a small tube-fan. Just to see if restrictions/friction is not to big.
If not then go for the best of the worst by prefilter and exit via a carbon filter.

Will give an update when time. First this week think of a AB project :)

Cheers and good to be here!

Roots

Bench space is a premium asset along leg space under it. The hours we spend are hard fought for. So we need to be comfy
I have to admit that the budget, location and 2nd hand parts I found,, dictated my final design
And the booth part is a mark 2 even still I only spent $175 Aud all up,, $80 was the 4.5M off 300 x450 of 2nd A/C hand duct
The original was a laundry tub base and I had a 2 foot led ceiling light inside. Buy having the light source so close made significant shadowing on my subjects. The LCD tv mounted 1.2M away with the display screen removed but with the furnal lens and difusers left In. Provides virtuality no shadowing.
I made some basic ergonomic mistakes like airbrush rack, air regulaters and hoses mounted on my left side for a right hander ment swapping the airbrushes from one hand to the other to hang them up with the hoses always hanging across the booth I also mounted the fan and light switches on the wrong side being right hander who has a free left hand.
Paint dust collecting on the bottom and corners of the booth did lead to me to curving the bottom of the wadding filter to horazontal and going full width.
The bonus of this was increasing the filter surface area reduced air speed through it decreasing loss to friction while increasing air speed into the booth opening.

All my benches where made mostly from old pallets the tops where new 16mm yellow tounge Flooring ( don't ask about the red tops I made a bone head mistake and it's a sage)
They are screwed together with 100mm long 6mm hex drive bugal head screws no glue
I am not much of a wood worker so no fancy jointing, but they are well optioned and sturdy as they had to carry lever hand presses fitted to them and pneumatic lure assembly jigs
I will post up some pics

The benchs are 3meters long 900mm deep and 870mm high
The bottom shelf is high enough for shallow storage tubs under it and adds ridgity to bench.
The shelf itself will fit 3 high storage tubs each end. In the middle 3 rows and 4 per row high of the 4 compartment storage tubs
The 16mm top overhangs the front 70x45 rails by 30mm for clamping
The rear of the bench top is flush with the rails for flush to wall
The legs are mounted inside the rail. So they don't hit skirting boards or stub your toes on.
It is all screwed together so it can be flat packed when moving.
Question away guys.

Attachments

• 20231003_131646.jpg
    20231003_131646.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231003_131600.jpg
    20231003_131600.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231003_131616.jpg
    20231003_131616.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231003_131630.jpg
    20231003_131630.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231003_131654.jpg
    20231003_131654.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 7
I rent the shed, it was a space for a break and earn a few bucks although the last few of years not to many of those.
I looked after my parents for the last 8 years
My dad had Parkinson's and my mother had Diementia
They both have passed my mother only 2 weeks ago
I miss them both,,, but l am lucky that we were very close I worked with them, nearly all my adult life.
My mother could no longer talk other than yes or no. 70% of the time she knew who I was . Jo was a feice woman so putting her into care was not, really an option without meds and I couldn't hold with that.
I have the greatest respect for Care workers, showering my folks I would talk to them about random stuff,,, as if it was like no big thing. The forum helped a lot with topics. Try coming up with stuff on the fly is not always easy.
So thanks everyone.
I should start a thankyou thread, have no idea what to put it under thou
Any suggestions JackEb

I wish you great strength Palk with the loss of your father and recently your mother. Difficult times especially being that close which you should cherish. As being new on this forum its good to read that this one keeps everybody upright and dialed in. All the best to you Palk and lets enjoy and celebrate life.

Thank you. RootsSmurf
When I first started A/Bing I looked at a few forums most where to specific or a little stuffy.
With this forum,,, it was ok to have an airbrush wether your an artist, collector, painted lures😂 No matter what you done no one judged,, what you do with it.
They just offered help and there oppion on solutions.
There are a lot of humble well accomplished painters and technicians and some who are both on here that's for sure.

My sympathies for the loss of Your Dad and Mum, Palk. My thoughts are with You and Your family! Stay strong Sir :)

My sympathies for the loss of Your Dad and Mum, Palk. My thoughts are with You and Your family! Stay strong Sir :)
Thank you
I have been lucky in a way, They where my best friends and have spent most time, than most with my folks
They both wanted to be at home and never wanted to go into care my father practically rebuilt his retirement home ,even installed a lift 15 years ago. He purchased the house in 1981 as a holiday house. So he was a man with a plan.

I rent the shed, it was a space for a break and earn a few bucks although the last few of years not to many of those.
I looked after my parents for the last 8 years
My dad had Parkinson's and my mother had Diementia
They both have passed my mother only 2 weeks ago
I miss them both,,, but l am lucky that we were very close I worked with them, nearly all my adult life.
My mother could no longer talk other than yes or no. 70% of the time she knew who I was . Jo was a feice woman so putting her into care was not, really an option without meds and I couldn't hold with that.
I have the greatest respect for Care workers, showering my folks I would talk to them about random stuff,,, as if it was like no big thing. The forum helped a lot with topics. Try coming up with stuff on the fly is not always easy.
So thanks everyone.
I should start a thankyou thread, have no idea what to put it under thou
Any suggestions JackEb
parenting our parents is never easy so well done to you for doing so well for both your parents.

You can post non airbrush related threads into the 'Open Bar' section :)

parenting our parents is never easy so well done to you for doing so well for both your parents.

You can post non airbrush related threads into the 'Open Bar' section :)
Thank you JackEb
For your kind words

Back