Do It Yourself Spray-out/Cleaning Pot with filter

S

slipery

I'm sure I'm not the only person to think of something like this, but I havn't seen it here so I'll post it, I'm sure no one wants to pay an average of $25 for one, so heres how you can make one for about 50 cents from stuff laying around the house.

You will need……. IMG_0323.JPG
Exacto knife
Masking Tape
One 15 cent Dust Mask
One 1kg/2lb plastic yogurt container (empty & washed)

STEP 1
Remove the lid from the container and cut a round hole in the centre slightly smaller than the body of your airbrush, then draw a circle with lines as shown below and cut along the lines from the centre to the outer circle.

IMG_0323-1.JPG

STEP 2
Cut a hole three quarters up the side of the container as shown below. This provides a place for the air going in to escape and not blow back out the same hole.

IMG_0324.jpg

STEP 3
On the outside of the container position the dusk mask over the escape hole, you may have to trim the mask a little so it fits nicely on the side. Then with the masking tape, seal the sides of the mask, place the lid on and there you have it.

IMG_0327.jpg

It’s not pretty but for a few cents who cares

Last edited by a moderator:
There are more here on the forum, this one is mine, I tried to make it look as professional as possible, it's made of a simple glass sugar or coffee storage jar with aluminium lid which cost me one dollar, on the lid I put 2 pieces of black plastic with holes drilled and piece of yellow duster in between to catch fumes, the little hole for the airbrush is an old guitar cable grommet the top of which is rubber and as such every size airbrush fits snugly into it, since it's totally rigid it's very easy to clean, it cost 30 cents more than yours but it looks like it too, lol

View attachment 5875

I made this about 3 or 4 months ago but I didn't put it up because there were a couple of others at the time.

There are more here on the forum, this one is mine, I tried to make it look as professional as possible, it's made of a simple glass sugar or coffee storage jar with aluminium lid which cost me one dollar, on the lid I put 2 pieces of black plastic with holes drilled and piece of yellow duster in between to catch fumes, the little hole for the airbrush is an old guitar cable grommet the top of which is rubber and as such every size airbrush fits snugly into it, since it's totally rigid it's very easy to clean, it cost 30 cents more than yours but it looks like it too, lol

View attachment 5875

I made this about 3 or 4 months ago but I didn't put it up because there were a couple of others at the time.

I had the cost factor in mind......:)....I always see people complaining how expensive airbrushing is, so I thought I would post something that cost under a dollar and could be made with something everyone has laying around...:)....and it takes ten minutes to make...:)....but if you want we can Have a reproductive organ measuring contest too...lol

I had the cost factor in mind......:)....I always see people complaining how expensive airbrushing is, so I thought I would post something that cost under a dollar and could be made with something everyone has laying around...:)....and it takes ten minutes to make...:)....but if you want we can Have a reproductive organ measuring contest too...lol

I'll sit the reproductive organ contest out if you don't mind, I know I have no chance, lol

Seriously, like I said I've seen others here, and I believe they all do what they are expected to do, so at the end of the day all it comes down to is if you can save your self some cash and create something that does a simple job like cleaning just as good, then it's silly to waste money that could buy you a couple of bottles of paint.

Except for your your airbrush, your paint, your compressor, your water traps and your canvas/paper, the prices for all the other little sundries are way over the top, at my supplier I saw a 2 airbrush stand for €35, I got the same item free with my evolution, but if I hadn't I would simply sit it on a rolled up towel in which case it would still be free.

The jar I used for my cleaning station happened to be in a shop where I was actually looking for something else, it was sitting loose out of a normal set of three and it was the last in the shop, the set would have cost around €12 but because it was the last in the shop I offered €1 and they accepted.

P.S. mine also only took ten minutes, but I think that's because I didn't use masking tape, lol

Man, you guys/gals were way more creative than myself on my cleaning station. Once I finished my 2 liter Pepsi, I cut a hole in the middle of it big enough for my airbrush to fit in. I took the lid off and used a rubber band to hold the coffee filter (that I doubled over the top of the Pepsi bottle) to filter the fumes. Worked like a charm. I have since bought a cheap cleaning station from an online store that my boys or the cat knocked off into the floor. It didnt shatter (its glass) but i has a huge crack all along the bottom and is leaking now, so back to the Pepsi bottle I go, lol

Man, you guys/gals were way more creative than myself on my cleaning station. Once I finished my 2 liter Pepsi, I cut a hole in the middle of it big enough for my airbrush to fit in. I took the lid off and used a rubber band to hold the coffee filter (that I doubled over the top of the Pepsi bottle) to filter the fumes. Worked like a charm. I have since bought a cheap cleaning station from an online store that my boys or the cat knocked off into the floor. It didnt shatter (its glass) but i has a huge crack all along the bottom and is leaking now, so back to the Pepsi bottle I go, lol

Like I said if it works and it saves you money, it can't be wrong.

If the main part/lid of your bought one is still intact you can easily find a glass or plastic jar that it fits on, I'm sure even your pepsi bottle could be made to fit it.

P.S. if the crack is only on the bottom, you could simply apply a piece of masking tape to the underside of the glass (temporary) and then pour in some polyester or epoxy resin inside to around 2 or 3 millimetres, let this dry and pull the tape off and your jar is once again sealed, the polyester/epoxy will withstand anything you need to clean in it.

I thought I'd go big or go home I use a 5 gallon bucket

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I thought I'd go big or go home I use a 5 gallon bucket

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

LOL, I did too at first, but my wife demanded it back, so to avoid a painful smack in the teeth, I decided to make one, lol

Awesome, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try that!! About to make a new Pepsi one until I get some epoxy resin! Yup, the tops still good on the glass one, its all plastic on top

thanks for the idea slipery, great idea and under a buck . when we are just starting out every dollar counts

great idea, yeah i saw cleaning stations posted on here before too but i like this one and it's a nice clear detailed tute on how to do it. should make my own.

I also made my own but seeing the glass bottle one I think I will redo mine. That will last a lifetime.

Here is mine made out of an energy supplement bottle, some dish cloth, a piece of garden hose and two zip ties.

cleaning_station_01.jpg

I also made my own but seeing the glass bottle one I think I will redo mine. That will last a lifetime.

Here is mine made out of an energy supplement bottle, some dish cloth, a piece of garden hose and two zip ties.

View attachment 5895

I'm sure you posted this a while back and you will probably notice how similar mine to yours, I only chose glass so I could see when it was getting full, my own idea was based mostly on yours because I instantly found it to be practical, all I changed was the glass and the filter, when I take the lid of the filter remains in place and I can easily replace the filter by removing 3 small screws on top.

I saw one also with airbrush holders around it, although the idea is good. you'de need to take all the airbrushes off of it to clean it.

Since this thread sort of turned into a show your home made cleaning pot, here is my set up.
Made of pvc pipe, wire, silicone tubing and a gas filter (gas as aposed to liquid ) Tubing connected to the bottom goes into a 2 gallon jug.
In the picture, you can also see my little home made sink, it drains into that same jug. And since you see my sink, I had to show you my water and cleaning solution resevoir. As you can tell, I like to tinker. Just call me tinkerbill. LOL

Attachments

• cleaningst3F.jpg
    cleaningst3F.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 44
  • cleaningst1F.jpg
    cleaningst1F.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 40
  • cleaningst2F.jpg
    cleaningst2F.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 39
Pardon my ignorance but what are these things for?

For cleaning your airbrush safely and odour free, you simply spray your airbrush cleaning fluid into these to avoid breathing in the chemicals your cleaning fluid may contain.

I've just been spraying into a paper towel. Never thought about making something to contain the spray.

Back