do you really need best airbrush for airbrushing

T

topangler81

hello all,
do you really need best airbrush for airbrushing, since some great airbrusher only use cheap one.

Topangler,,some people catch fish with a tin can for a reel What have you paid for a reel? Some of us just like owning fine things I dont own many but my airbrushes IMO are pretty freakin nice. That said, No you dont but a good brush makes it easier to get consistantly good results Just my 2 cents

Topangler,,some people catch fish with a tin can for a reel What have you paid for a reel? Some of us just like owning fine things I dont own many but my airbrushes IMO are pretty freakin nice. That said, No you dont but a good brush makes it easier to get consistantly good results Just my 2 cents

Have to agree with ko. You don't need one to start out with, bit it's sure less frustrating, at least with a quality brand name airbrush, you don't have to wonder if it's the brush causing you issues while learning. A Badger Patriot can be had for reasonable money, is a great beginner brush, and many of us use them regularly , when not needing a detail brush.

Have to agree with ko. You don't need one to start out with, bit it's sure less frustrating, at least with a quality brand name airbrush, you don't have to wonder if it's the brush causing you issues while learning. A Badger Patriot can be had for reasonable money, is a great beginner brush, and many of us use them regularly , when not needing a detail brush.

i only have iwata eclips HP-CS to do all my airbrush work.

The eclipse CS is high quality brush where you see the use of a higher end brush (which doesn't always mean a higher price) is after a while you are looking for the right tool for the right job. Such as extreme detail also you will enjoy some of the features that the more expensive brush has. The eclipse was my second AB and it was a great AB hands down could do some pretty amazing stuff. I believe what it really comes down to is the Artist themselves. Control and other factors play into this. Another thing that also plays into the airbrush quality is the atomization factor and the surface you are painting on. If you are painting hard surfaces with highly over reduced paint to achieve great detail for example you have your pressure turned down real low to prevent spidering some AB's excellerate at having good atomization at these psi levels. The micron, krome, high performance series, infinity for examples. So do you need the best NO but what you need is a brush designed for your application and ability to use the brush for it's intended purpose.

the best airbrush is not how much it cost. Its more on what you want to do with it. For me I wanted to do free hand so I picked up the badger Renegade Velocity

An artist is only as good as his tools he uses. The most important thing is quality in the product. The cheaper it is usually means the lower the quality and the more headaches it will cause. My best suggestion would be a Iwata HP-CS. It is an excellent airbrush and has two different needle sizes available.

As everyone else has stated , The better the tools you use the happier you will be.
Just like a mechanic is only as good as the tools he has . Iwata CS is a great brush you can also look at Badger , H&S , Paasche. All are good brushes.
Being I do not know what country you are located in... Which would help with giving you things like suggestion on where and how to buy.I can only tell you when I bought my first IWATA CS it was from Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon , saved me a lot of money and made the brush cost less than a china made knock off.

I do believe there is this obsession with fine lines and detail in airbrushing. From an artistic point of view, broadly sprayed areas of tone are just as important in the overall picture as super fine detailing. Not all airbrush art is made up of micro thin line work...

just a thought guys

It all comes down to what you consider "The best" LOL..Everyone has their own idea's of what the best is..Don't relate "The Best" to the most expensive..Agree with pretty much what everyone else has already mentioned..I'm pretty sure the artists you mention using a "cheap one" are still likely using a branded brush..A cheap one to me is a chinese knock-off and yer they can produce good work, once or maybe even twice but they do fail in many cases mechanically..A good low end branded brush will likely be what you see creating some good work as most of them can as thats what there designed for..As danair said, its not all about super fine detail so many brushes will achieve what you basically need as a beginner.Good luck :)

It all comes down to what you consider "The best" LOL..Everyone has their own idea's of what the best is..Don't relate "The Best" to the most expensive..Agree with pretty much what everyone else has already mentioned..I'm pretty sure the artists you mention using a "cheap one" are still likely using a branded brush..A cheap one to me is a chinese knock-off and yer they can produce good work, once or maybe even twice but they do fail in many cases mechanically..A good low end branded brush will likely be what you see creating some good work as most of them can as thats what there designed for..As danair said, its not all about super fine detail so many brushes will achieve what you basically need as a beginner.Good luck :)

You can't go wrong with the Iwata hp-cs, it's the only brush I use, it's so versatile, and I can get really fine lines from it, as well as cover larger areas.. I do want a micron, because I think it will help me increase my skill level, but I can't see a time I will ever not grab my hp-cs and have it as my main brush.

hey Top and Squishy You have one of the finest airbrushes in the game right now IMO The thing about a Micron for me is the fact that you can not only do ultra fine detail but crank up the air a little and you can get great coverage also, do to the way they atomize Just super smooth not grainy at all. But again The CS is an XLNT all around brush There is very little you cannot do with them. I still use mine (suction and gravity) with the .5 set up when I need to blast or for T's ps I do not use a can for a reel when fishing LOL but i have seen it done with some amazing results in Mexico

04072012036.jpg
my large thumb!!

with some practice and iwata HP-CS. do i really need an micron airbrush?

with some practice and iwata HP-CS. do i really need an micron airbrush?

Ummm read all the posts m8 LOL...but short story........No :) But if you do want a great brush (From others comments on em).....Buy one..

Do you need expensive, no. Do you need quality, yes. Don't be fooled by the people saying that all airbrushes come out of the same factory. If they do, then all the rejects come out as rebranded items. Any Badger double action is better then any of the Chinese no-name brand stuff.

You have to ask the question, what do I want to do. If you want to do detail, you will need a good gun. If you just want to do poster size jobs then you will never need anything finer then a .35 even a .5.

Topangler, no you do not, but it is easier. With the CS you need to thin paint more and reduce air more and work slower. With a Micron it is fine all the time.

you dont need best brushes but i really like different brushes so i had to buy new every now or then just for fun and to try out i use velocity and krome but iwata micro is just amaizing

never use any micron ab before..... think want to use it, he guys anyone have an extra micron airbrush? may be i can borrow it LOL:welcoming:

no one has mentioned the infinity 2 in 1 by harder and steenbeck? does that count as a brush that is overpriced? I am seriously eyeing it and considering the exchange rate here in South Africa it isn't too bad a price.

when i started i bought a chinese ab where the retailer had branded with his name , when i asked the owner what was the diference between his brand and for example paasche he yelled at me that all airbrushes where the same and that paasche,aztek and all other brands where a bunch of robbers, so i bought it.long story short i finished buying a paasche talon(cheaper than his socalled brand) by the internet and yelling the guy that he could stick his brand of chinese abs through his...i expended twice the money for nothing.because the chinese here was more expensive than the talon.

well what you need is to have the best ab for what you want to do. for example i can do with a talon what an infinity can do, but the talon is not as consistent like the infinity.also other aspects like design, not how it looks which for me is "finished", im talking about the engineering invested in it,take for instance:balance,the infinity i can place it between my index finger and my thumb and it will stay put,while the talon wont.but as as working horse the talon for me is far better than the infinity.

i don´t think that the inifinity is over priced,neither the talon, the krome well i don´t know since i haven´t tried, the masters or other chinese, don´t, in the name of what you care the most, buy it.

in the end you are paying for some extra values,casing, presentation,reputation, but above all engineering

so to start you need something that is consistent,reliable at the right price for you.

Back