Does anyone else have issues with Createx White?

W

Wan2BCreative

I currently have a Badger 360. Recently purchased the fine needle parts. However, even when I use the medium point setup the Createx white paint quickly develops issues.
I get serious tip drying within a VERY short time of use. I keep a small camel hair paint brush in water at my side. This works great with colors but the Createx white dries within a few seconds of spraying.
I also experience frequent clogging. I usually clear this by increasing the pressure with the regulator and pulling the lever completely back while pressing down. This clearing does not last very long. I do have instances where I need to break down my AB for a thorough cleaning while in the middle of working on a piece.
I get intermittent "spotting" (if this is correct) where the paint will not flow smoothly and I get dotted lines, or visible droplets where a fine misty gradient should be.
I will definitely try working with other white paints, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced these issues.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I LOVE tech gadgets!

Ah, the dreaded white paint. I'm hearing great things about their newer Illustration white paint. People seem to love that. ;-)

Createx white is a pain but almost all white is a pain . Wicked is better , But learning reduction and air pressure is the main key factor .
Standard Createx is designed for T-shirts/ Textiles. It is designed to run through a .5 needle/nozzle set up at a high 60PSI to 80 PSI set up.
But start out with 10 drops reducer (or home brew which is 75% water mix to 25% alcohol(denature works best) and than add 1 drop of glycerin per ounce mixed so 10Oz =10 drops glycerin) to 1 drop of paint than you should be able to shoot at 30 PSI or lower.
The lower the air pressure the thinner the paint mix.

Hey Wan2, do you use reducer?

Yep.
I am still experimenting with the hope of discovering my "perfect recipe" for paint to reducer ratio. Maybe I can have better luck with a different paint.

I LOVE tech gadgets!

Wan2 have you tried illustration white? I shoot it through a .21 needle/nozzle reduced about 50/50 and have yet to have any dry tip. I usually shoot at 8-15 psi for detail.

Yep.
I am still experimenting with the hope of discovering my "perfect recipe" for paint to reducer ratio. Maybe I can have better luck with a different paint.

I LOVE tech gadgets!
The funny things is standard Createx is everywhere local art stores the internet, and it is probably one of the cheapest to buy. I like many have learned the hard way that that is not the paint to use when you start learning to AB. Unless you are doing T-Shirts (it is fine for T-Shirts) I would not recommend using standard Createx. I am still new myself learning and most of my frustration is self inflicted, not knowing what paints do what and which will do what I want. I would say for anyone just starting in your intro tell what you are going to paint what you would like to paint etc. Then someone can steer you to the correct paints and medium to paint on. Just a side note for practice dots daggers etc, I used newsprint paper and I started with water and food coloring. Then I painted shirts with Createx (needs reducing) and mostly now SpectraTex (use out of the bottle). If you want to practice erasing or scratching or some more detail stuff get some cheap foam board you can scratch and erase just about any paint on those. I have not completed anything that I would hang anywhere yet so I do not know if I would use the foam board for any more than practice. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Wicked Detail White is the real deal. Yeah, all white paint is a pain due to thick pigment and what not. Had the same battles with Createx white so dont get discouraged. Try the Wicked Detail White, reduce some and you should be good to go. Got a Titanium White by Golden also which I like a lot as well. No reduction with the Golden

Thanks everyone!
You have validated my suspicion that I simply need to purchase the appropriate paint for the type of work I am wanting to do.
I have experimented with some ComArt colors and love the control I have with them. Also have a couple of Wicked colors yet to try out.
Definitely time for me to move up to a higher grade white.
Thanks for the replies.

Createx white is a pain but almost all white is a pain . Wicked is better , But learning reduction and air pressure is the main key factor .
Standard Createx is designed for T-shirts/ Textiles. It is designed to run through a .5 needle/nozzle set up at a high 60PSI to 80 PSI set up.
But start out with 10 drops reducer (or home brew which is 75% water mix to 25% alcohol(denature works best) and than add 1 drop of glycerin per ounce mixed so 10Oz =10 drops glycerin) to 1 drop of paint than you should be able to shoot at 30 PSI or lower.
The lower the air pressure the thinner the paint mix.

AWESOME! A home recipe for me to work with. Thank you Mr. Micron!
Just one question...
I Googled denatured alcohol and part of the description states that it is a solvent. Shouldn't I avoid solvents in an airbrush that is not designed to work with solvent based materials?

AWESOME! A home recipe for me to work with. Thank you Mr. Micron!
Just one question...
I Googled denatured alcohol and part of the description states that it is a solvent. Shouldn't I avoid solvents in an airbrush that is not designed to work with solvent based materials?

While Denatured alcohol is considered a solvent it is diluted with water... I have been using this home brew pretty much since I started airbrushing.
Only time I use what ever brands reducer is when it is for a paying job. But all my practice pieces I use my home brew.. Cheaper works great and I can mix 32 oz for pennies on the dollar.

Oh Moonshine works great too but I would rather drink that
:D

Mr. Micron: "Oh Moonshine works great too but I would rather drink that"...

That stuff is not at all easy to find up here in Chicago. If you have access to it in Indiana then I may need to make a quick visit sometime...

Wan2BCreative (John)

Mr. Micron: "Oh Moonshine works great too but I would rather drink that"...

That stuff is not at all easy to find up here in Chicago. If you have access to it in Indiana then I may need to make a quick visit sometime...

Wan2BCreative (John)

We have shine makers here and I know of two in the Mattoon area closer to you:D

Back