Don’t laugh..what is gesso

Joe T

Mac-Valve Maestro!
What is gesso and why would I use it? When I want to paint on a hard surface I just use primer from work. Looks like something for canvas maybe?

Sheeezzz so much to learn

Oh I googled it, but wasn’t sure what I would use it for. The video you linked helped a bit. I’ll stick to paper until I get better
yea, video is quite cool. 40 minutes of explanation. Bulletproof.

Went and got some gesso so I could play with an eraser on stuff. Also have a ton of MDF I could use. I wonder if I need to prime the mdf before I gesso it. I have a few cheap HVLP guns I can use to spray it.

Also got some acrylic black so I can tint it if I want to try that as well

Went and got some gesso so I could play with an eraser on stuff. Also have a ton of MDF I could use. I wonder if I need to prime the mdf before I gesso it. I have a few cheap HVLP guns I can use to spray it.

Also got some acrylic black so I can tint it if I want to try that as well
By the way, if you're using an acrylic Gesso, it has a TON of titanium dioxide in it. You'll need a lot of black if you don't want shades of gray. Want a black background to start, just lay the acrylic black down as a base after your Gesso priming of the MDF.

Awesome, I’ll check for th diy gesso.

HellBird, thanks for the tips. I’m gonna give it a go in the morning and see hw it goes. Good plan on the black.

By the way, if you're using an acrylic Gesso, it has a TON of titanium dioxide in it. You'll need a lot of black if you don't want shades of gray. Want a black background to start, just lay the acrylic black down as a base after your Gesso priming of the MDF.
If you paint the gesso with acrylic you loose the whole purpose of using a gesso surface in the first place. You do get black gesso that can be used instead.

Back