dry tip within 1 minute

rob12770

Young Tutorling
hi guys, total noob here, I just got iwata eclipse suction brush and smart jet pro compressor,
im currently mixing artists acrylics about 1 to 1 as I have no "proper" paint yet, but I know people use this mix, but am getting a dry tip in about a minute of painting ...im sure dry tips have been covered many times here but given my current paint circumstances I thought I would post for some help on how to resolve this..
many thanks Rob :)
oh and im at about 18 psi

Last edited:
Hey rob, I take it you are using water to thin down?, tip dry or "tip D"as its known hehe can be a problem no matter what circumstances you put in place, sure the tube type acrylics will do it more as they are not really designed with airbrush in mind, but this is common with all paints......just listen for when it starts to clog or dry, give it a full blast away from your page and then pick the crap off

When you do get some decent paint reduce the gel out of it then you don't get any tip dry ;o)

cheers pal, I know that it is a common issue but after only 1 minute ..every minute ?
i will order paint soon.. missus going daft as i keep buying stuff so il have to wait a bit...
i sometimes wonder if she thinks shes my mum :biggrin-new:

Tip dry in a minute? Dude, you're doin good!
If using waterbase media, it's a nature of the beast. As with solvent type paints the solvent in the paint "melts" off the accumulation that collects on the needle, so that's why no tip try with most solvent paints.
If you use waterbase paints, it just becomes second nature to pluck the tip every once in a while. Yeah, it's annoying, but you get used to it.

Tip dry in a minute? Dude, you're doin good!
If using waterbase media, it's a nature of the beast. As with solvent type paints the solvent in the paint "melts" off the accumulation that collects on the needle, so that's why no tip try with most solvent paints.
If you use waterbase paints, it just becomes second nature to pluck the tip every once in a while. Yeah, it's annoying, but you get used to it.
hmm, dont think il have my needle guard on much then lol.
thanks

Yeah, I have the paintpicker regulators on my krome and patriot, so I don't have to worry about trying to work around the prongs.
Iwatas you can take the needle cap off and it won't effect how you spray. Just gotta be careful and keep in mind that your needle is out there and vulnerable to getting bumped. Most peeps work without it on anyway.
Why I so LOVE LOVE LOVE those plastic covers that come with badgers.... kept my precious krome from getting totally ruined after dropping it from a scaffold.

You will always get some tip dry (especially with opaque whites) Further reduction of paint and pressure may alleviate this a bit but as Fezley said you will need to pick the tip (CAREFULLY!!! or you can bend the tip). You will need to remove the cap to do this. I cant stress enough watch that tip!

Yeah, I have the paintpicker regulators on my krome and patriot, so I don't have to worry about trying to work around the prongs.
Iwatas you can take the needle cap off and it won't effect how you spray. Just gotta be careful and keep in mind that your needle is out there and vulnerable to getting bumped. Most peeps work without it on anyway.
Why I so LOVE LOVE LOVE those plastic covers that come with badgers.... kept my precious krome from getting totally ruined after dropping it from a scaffold.
lol, I only understood some of that...im new to airbrushing . im sure it will make sence to me soon enough :playful:

You will always get some tip dry (especially with opaque whites) Further reduction of paint and pressure may alleviate this a bit but as Fezley said you will need to pick the tip (CAREFULLY!!! or you can bend the tip). You will need to remove the cap to do this. I cant stress enough watch that tip!
yes andy, I am very careful with it, I read how delicate they are mate,
chhers

cheers pal, I know that it is a common issue but after only 1 minute ..every minute ?
i will order paint soon.. missus going daft as i keep buying stuff so il have to wait a bit...
i sometimes wonder if she thinks shes my mum :biggrin-new:
And is your missus my missus's sister?

im going to get that iwata superlube stuff.. maybe... is it any good ?
More to lube the needle to keepp it running smooth, rather than prevent tip dry, just use ky

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers for the info but that was hard to watch, red paint splattered everywhere and he was sliding his brushes about in it aaggghhh lolI

Go to your local supermarket and get a small bottle of Glycerine add 3 drops to 120ml of water and mix your paint with it and it should help with the tip dry.

Lee

Back