DVD's

R

rab3rd

I have a question regarding airbrushing DVD's. I have purchased two different ones now and have to say Im not really all that impressed with either as a teaching device.

The first one was "Medical Expenses" by Lorenzo Sperlonga, and the most recent was "How to create killer zombies" by Gary Worthington. Now let me say right off hand that I am VERY impressed with their work, of course I am why else would I drop 30 bucks on their DVD, right? Right.

On the Medical Expenses DVD it was more like a "here watch me paint as I kinda tell you what I am doing but I wont talk in about half of the DVD" thing. With the Zombies DVD I thought I was going to be getting a process of here is how you go about drawing a zombie, now here is how you paint this portion, etc. A kind of step by step of an entire process if you will. But instead I get "ok find a zombie someone already drew and trace it, now watch me paint it in all black and white, then watch me lay candies all over it while I talk about how badass wicked paints are...

So am I expecting too much out of these "instructional" DVD's, or is the standard way they are put together. Id like to buy one on portrait painting but not if its going to be like these two were.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want " instructional" DVD's look into the Daniel Powers DVD's. Most are like what you saw. Some are better than others. None compare to the Powers series 1&2.

Yeah Rob those are not very good beginner dvd's. I started out on dvd's and I have almost everyone of them. Craig Fraser's intro to airbrushing is what got me kickstarted. It's your basic dots, daggers and shading but it shows you the right way and exercises to practice. All of Craigs dvd's are great. Cory St Clair has a power portraits dvd he airbrushes Morton Downey Jr. which shows you how to achieve super detail work which I like too. You can go to smartflix and rent these same dvd's for $9.99 instead of buying them also.

If your looking for portrait DVD, you can check out Steve Driscoll's DVDs, he has from basic to advanced portrait techniques DVDs, and he takes time to explain everything he does and why, and gives lots of tips, you can check on youtube too he has a couple of clips and DVD previews.

Hope it helps :)

I dare say that some of the free youtube vids have given me more than what you seem to have gotten Rob. I am seriously hoping that Mitch's dvds will be exactly what you are after. I did buy a DVD set that was made by wicked and I was pleasantly surprised by terry hill's vids (as I was only expecting to be told how to use wicked). Other than that I cant help , sorry Rob

Thanks all, thats a great help. Fly, the DVD's arent "bad" just not what I was expecting. I picked up a few things from each but it wasnt because they instructed it, it was because picked up on it... As was stated I guess those arent really aimed at someone with my vast inexperience and abilities. I have gotten some great stuff from the free youtube vids, some very instructional and some that are just time lapse of a painting being done.

I know from watching previews of portrait vids that the entire thing is a process with certain steps coming before others and for that you really need instruction, not just observation...

If I could add. .... Stay tuned for mitches premium videos. ....I have had a preview of a couple of sections and it looks excellent. .... glossy and informative

If your looking for portrait DVD, you can check out Steve Driscoll's DVDs, he has from basic to advanced portrait techniques DVDs, and he takes time to explain everything he does and why, and gives lots of tips, you can check on youtube too he has a couple of clips and DVD previews.

I have portraits beginner and advanced in my Amazon cart... ;-)

If I could add. .... Stay tuned for mitches premium videos. ....I have had a preview of a couple of sections and it looks excellent. .... glossy and informative

Based on previous videos, I have been waiting on pins and needles...

Im certain in time I will have my own techniques but it would be better to learn and established way then develop my own...

When are they coming? He has been gone long enough he should have a life time of Vids done...:hopelessness:

DVD's I really like Cross-eye stencil tech and his creating the dragon He explains how he goes about customizing skulls and making them into stencil and then how he designs his dragons and where he look for different textures he uses.
Dan Powers series is a great series
Kiwi Terry Chrome is another goo one because he explain on how to view chrome and paint it .
Most of the portrait one I do learn something from but none of them are an end all be all that I have watched so far.
Mainly I do have a large dvd collection but some I found at yard sales and some I order from Coast Airbrush TV . But for the most part I have learned something from them all.

If you want " instructional" DVD's look into the Daniel Powers DVD's. Most are like what you saw. Some are better than others. None compare to the Powers series 1&2.

I agree with Wayne. The Power Series is probably the best instructional DVD's out there. They teach you how to airbrush, not just a specific subject.

The Driscoll and Soto portrait method are damn near identical.

To tell you the truth, all the answers you are looking for are made daily on this forum. I started to realize it once I did my Photorealism course last year. Putting it all together is a totally different ball game. I did understand more of what everyone was saying after a formal class.

Unfortunately most of them are " watch me paint " dvd's there are only a few that actually help you get along, As its already been said the dan powers ones are quite good but apart from that you might as well watch a cartoon. If you can afford it I would suggest going on an instructional course. I got more out of it than any dvd ive watched. I know its a lot of money but its money well spent.

Lee

Thats the thing of it Jeff, putting it all together. Its like saying there are 10 pots of gold on this 50,000 acre plot of land, good luck. Or there are 10 pots of gold on this 50,000 acre plot of land, here is a map. Good luck.

Unfortunately most of them are " watch me paint " dvd's there are only a few that actually help you get along, As its already been said the dan powers ones are quite good but apart from that you might as well watch a cartoon. If you can afford it I would suggest going on an instructional course. I got more out of it than any dvd ive watched. I know its a lot of money but its money well spent.

Lee

I agree and when I find a reasonably price one I'll likely take it. Or if I feel strongly enough about an over priced one to take it, Ill take it. For now Im trying to learn as much as I can for the least amount of cost. Lets face it, the more you already know before you take a class, the more you get out of the class. If you are overwhelmed by the basics then the more advanced stuff will be lost...

You will be amazed eventually how much you pick up from vids and here reading all the posts. I know I am. I seem to forget more than half when it comes time to paint though. Someday it will be second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back