dye for fabric to airbrush?

T

topangler81

hi all,
can i use fabric ready to use dye to paint on fabric? and also how to thinned fabric dye?

Sorry, have not tried to do that, hope someone can help. Does it have to be dye? Could you not use an airbrush paint suitable for fabric and then heat set it?

hard to find airbrush paint in my hometown.... i only use 2k automotive paint and reducer for all my work....

Depending on what the type of fabric is would depend on what the dye is. Natural vegetable based or bast fabrics and on silk you would use a fiber reactive dye such as Procion MX from Jaquard. I use the Procion dyes and mix the setting agent in the dye before I spray and then I batch cure the fabrics. You will need to watch out for migration on your borders between dyes unless you use a resist or you cure the dye before dyeing the next color. As usual with dyes you need to test yoru fabrics and your technique. You might want to check with Dharma Trading (crap! I'm not allowed to post links so Google) to check out their lines of dyes and fabric paints. Dyes are very different than paint. The fiber reactive dyes form a molecular bond with bast fibers and silk while paints coat. Dyes are much more durable than paints but have their own unique needs. I hope this helps.
Regards, Charles

Can't see why not, I use screen printing paints and mix my own fabric paints from that goop, which I could find easier in a smaller town, as mentioned above it would just be a case of learning their ins and outs..GL

Back