Easels

R

Reddogwa

what is a good design for an easel? Do you use an easel or something else? Thanks

I uses to use a table top easel with a wooden board covered with a sheet of metal on it. Now I just use that wooden board raised one side with coffee cans.

Initially I used a table top easel that I made, but to be honest a found it too small and when it was near the edge of the table meant all the other stuff (paint, airbrush holder etc.) was to the side so I found it cramped and a bit awkward to use.

I built a large stand up easel from free plans I got on line which didn't cost much to make (essentially its like an 'A' with a leg at the back and I made the cross bit of the 'A' like a narrow shelf, two pieces of wood glued together to form an 'L' cross section, so I can fix the airbrush stand to it and put stuff down on it).

I find the stand up easel really useful because it can hold a big board with enough room to tape the reference next to the work. The board I use is actually a cheap white board so I can use tape or magnets to hold stuff down. As I'm painting against the whiteboard I don't have to worry (too much) about getting overspray on the furniture !!! The downside is the easel takes up more room than the table top one even when folded up.

I still need to do some stuff on a table top and just use a piece of plywood propped up a the back to give a slight angle.

Chris G

I uses to use a table top easel with a wooden board covered with a sheet of metal on it. Now I just use that wooden board raised one side with coffee cans.
now we know where Haasje's empty coffee cans went !

I've got a table top easel, but that will change soon

I use a lightweight wooden field easel. I have an A3 whiteboard or an A1 piece of ply I mount the work on. It's on the light side but is good. If you have room a drawing machine is good.

I took a tabletop music stand and screwed it to a 2x6. Works great. I'm very limited in space to paint.

Back