EFBE ARTIS I

Congrats @Mitya its super cool, looks antique elegant and space age at that same time. Like the style of back to the future’s delorean in airbrush form. Enjoy!
Thanks Theron :) , yes I really like it as if it is at the meeting of two eras. How are your EFBEs brushes doing you managed to do a paint atomization test?

Here is a quick, little test sheet. In defense of the brush - I have been working on custom springs and seals for a host of airbrushes that turn the trigger action into butter - super soft, and smooth. The trigger on this Artis is like pressing against a log - VERY stiff trigger spring. If I worked with it for another half hour or so to acclimate, I am sure the brush would net better spray results. Brush seems to prefer higher air pressure, too.

DSC_3808.jpg

Slightly off topic, but, does the cutway handle idea pre-dates the T&C Vegas of the '80s-'90s?
I seem to remember Iwata offered a cut out handle especially on the Eclipse BCS - The main focus was the t-shirt industry, so quick tip clearing by yanking on the chucking nut. I think Badger held a patent on the bit that was accessible at the rear of the handle to pull back the needle without the trigger. Iwata introduced the "Deluxe" double cut out handle, which used a piece set screwed to the back of the needle - Iwata stopped selling it after Badger either threatened or initiated a law suit (although I doubt they actually had an International patent) - but, the Japanese brands still had the single cut out handles. "Peak" airbrush, another fuso seiki branded brush continued importing the double cut out Iwata dropped into the USA anyway...
iwata-hpa-1.jpgdeluxe-handle5.jpgdeluxe-handle2.jpg

Thanks Theron :) , yes I really like it as if it is at the meeting of two eras. How are your EFBEs brushes doing you managed to do a paint atomization test?
Not yet, I’m sloooooow 😄 I’ll try and catch up actually putting some paint through some of the brushes I bought soon though.

I seem to remember Iwata offered a cut out handle especially on the Eclipse BCS - The main focus was the t-shirt industry, so quick tip clearing by yanking on the chucking nut. I think Badger held a patent on the bit that was accessible at the rear of the handle to pull back the needle without the trigger. Iwata introduced the "Deluxe" double cut out handle, which used a piece set screwed to the back of the needle - Iwata stopped selling it after Badger either threatened or initiated a law suit (although I doubt they actually had an International patent) - but, the Japanese brands still had the single cut out handles. "Peak" airbrush, another fuso seiki branded brush continued importing the double cut out Iwata dropped into the USA anyway...
View attachment 88710View attachment 88711View attachment 88712
I do like that handle! :)

Here is a quick, little test sheet. In defense of the brush - I have been working on custom springs and seals for a host of airbrushes that turn the trigger action into butter - super soft, and smooth. The trigger on this Artis is like pressing against a log - VERY stiff trigger spring. If I worked with it for another half hour or so to acclimate, I am sure the brush would net better spray results. Brush seems to prefer higher air pressure, too.

View attachment 88709
Very good atomisation results, but apparently the dotted lines indicate the limits of this brush's ability to create fine lines. Yes it needs an optimal selection of pressure and paint dilution. The springs are really tight, also an interesting air valve mechanism with a metal ball inside.

Interesting fact. I really like this kind of handle on a Sotar for example, it is handy for cleaning the nozzle and needle while working. I also made something similar on my 771, namely on the tip of the needle I put a part made of aluminium, which extends the needle and makes it possible to grasp it without removing the rear handle. I will send you a photo tomorrow.

Back