End of the CM-SB

Electric Cat Dude

Needle-chuck Ninja
Dru Blair posted on FB saying that Iwata plans to discontinue production of the CM-SB. The rumor is that Iwata is going to replace it with a different type of brush which still utilized the Micron match head system.

https://www.facebook.com/604073520/posts/10159665176788521/?d=n

If so I will miss that brush. I bought mine in 1994 and it is still going strong. Of all the Microns I always thought it looked the sharpest. I guess I kind of understand why Iwata is going to cancel that brush. I would guess it’s probably the least purchased of all the Microns. It was really a product of 1980s frisket airbrush and photo retouching marketed toward American illustrators who preferred the side feed brushes while the rest of the world never objected to gravity feed designs. I’m guessing the HP-SB will join it shortly. Off with the Paasche AB and the dodo bird.....

Micron and Eclipse gets an update.
f167248dc6149292304016cbd72cb8e7.jpg

I will stick to my CM SB as I really like it with Creos head set soft springs and rocket needle :) but I must admit that new airbrush looks real good but I dont like the big side cup that comes standard with it

Micron and Eclipse gets an update.
f167248dc6149292304016cbd72cb8e7.jpg

So, more or less, Iwata really didn’t stop production of the CM-SB, they just fitted it with a new color cup, slapped a new name on it, then went right on selling it..........

Oh and the body was shortened slightly plus added the CM-C+ handle.

Oooookay.....whack-a-do-whack-a-do. And when are you going to return the HP-BE to production? How about a CM-A+ based on the Olympos MP-200A with an integral MAC valve?

You know....useful things people might be more excited about.

Last edited:
I know people are freaking out, but I really don't see what the big deal is. I personally will be looking for a few more of the smaller side feed cups that are current, as I hate the gravity feed style side cups - but, as for the brush body, shorter tip to trigger is better. I am actually more interested in the shorter Eclipse side feed ;).

I know people are freaking out, but I really don't see what the big deal is. I personally will be looking for a few more of the smaller side feed cups that are current, as I hate the gravity feed style side cups - but, as for the brush body, shorter tip to trigger is better. I am actually more interested in the shorter Eclipse side feed ;).

The lack of someone making an affordable metal side cup is a tragedy. They want like $40 for an Iwata side cup... INSANE. I use the Aztec side cups, but that plastic feels weird and don't engage the way the metal ones do.

I’m definitely intrigued to see what they come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if that is what they're replacing it with then that's disappointing,
I have small medium and large cups for my SB so getting one of the 'new' ones will be of no advantage to me.
'if it aint broke don't fix it' !

I think the wording used by those first post was very misleading. I also panicked and started counting my pennies to buy more spares. They should never have used the words "discontinued". It's an update. The same as V2 was an update.

I also think those cups will be messy. It's the design of the current cups that makes them so clean to use. No mess when changing cups with paint in. I know when I used some of my Aztek cups that the paint would run out because the the tube was right at the bottom. It's plain laws of physics.

Last edited:
I hoped more had changed.
The only plus I see is the compact body.
But My cm/b is also longer than my cm/sb +/- 5mm.
Can't say it's much of a difference to me .
If nothing has changed internally, I see no reason to order one .

(Maybe the reviews are so good that I can't contain myself.
We will see.:))

Interesting news!

From the pictures @huskystafford posted I wouldn't say Micron is changed much. If the body's been shortened, I'd like to try this one:)
Concerning that new cup, you know, it's not that good for the SB Micron. Who uses such size and shape cups with this AB?o_O I haven't seen such users.
I wonder what they will charge for a new version.

For the new Eclipse I'd say I'm interested, as even with regular length body, it's convenient brush. Maybe new design is going to be the workhorse for many airbrushers, it should be good to work with. Personally, I like Eclipse design bodies, they're convenient.
Besides, I'm much more interested in new design, as I have some thoughts about the Eclipses;)
So, new version is kinda HP-SB Plus length? Here are previous design bodies:

side feeds.jpg

Interesting news!

From the pictures @huskystafford posted I wouldn't say Micron is changed much. If the body's been shortened, I'd like to try this one:)

Have in mind I got that picture from some guy on facebook. He posted on that talk about Micron when Dru Blair announced. That link which Electric Cat provided. So I don't have a clue if that picture was a joke from some guy or official picture from somewhere.

Either way if that big size cup for Micron is true, I don't know why I can't lose feeling that Iwata is trying to copy cup size from Procon boy side feed :lipssealed:

So I don't have a clue if that picture was a joke from some guy or official picture from somewhere.

It looks like true picture. Or the guy has tons of free time to work with Photoshop and well think over the text:)

Either way if that big size cup for Micron is true, I don't know why I can't lose feeling that Iwata is trying to copy cup size from Procon boy side feed :lipssealed:

First thought that came into my mind was that Iwata bought H&S company, that's why this design of the cup appeared in Iwata's line of ABs.
To say the least, this cup looks strange on the side feed ABs, especially on the Micron SB:)

Back