Epic score, or massive fail?

S

smillman

Hi all. I will try to be concise.

Intro (background) thread here: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/airbrush-virgin.15454/

I want to know how much work, and potentially replacement parts I DEFINITELY have to look at.

I bought some second hand equipment... Iwata Revolution CR, Silver Jet IS50, and some misc opaque colours. $172.76 ($230 CAD). Not sure how happy I should be based on the state of the equipment, so I'm looking for any/all feedback regarding its condition and what it needs at this point.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Based on the above pictures, epic score or massive fail?

-Sm

It looks generally OK - needs a good clean. I would soak the parts in water for a start then start gently rubbing with a cloth or cotton bud. Avoid the cleaning kits they sell like the plague. A cheap paint brush will help as well. A small amount of acetone may assist moving the stubborn bits. Take care where the seals are, don't soak them in acetone but water is good. Do you have an illustrated parts breakdown?

I'm with Mark, good soak and go from there.
The "airbrush cleaning brushes" commonly sold to clean airbrushes are to be avoided.
Interdental brushes are better to use if you have to.
As long as the needle/nozzle are ok it should be ok to get you up and running.

What brand paint did you get ?

Com art / iwata.

Interdental eh... Going to google that.

Doublecheck... I can simply submerge the entire (dismantled) airbrush, including the handle that houses the main valve?

Thank you guys soooo much!

-Sm

Com art / iwata.

Interdental eh... Going to google that.

Doublecheck... I can simply submerge the entire (dismantled) airbrush, including the handle that houses the main valve?

Thank you guys soooo much!

-Sm
You could also put it in a sonic cleaner to help get the paint off

I don't have a sonic and I think that will be down the road pretty far. Good to know it can handle going under water though.

I bought it at a Tim Hortons (Dunkin Donuts kinda place) and managed to do a quick tear down, paper towel and water wipe, shot some water through it. All this while at the coffee/donut shop... Running the compressor off a wall outlet that the seller happened to find. Anyway, trigger action was crap before that tear down. Smooth after.

It seemed like I was getting some water coming through the brush with the trigger down, but forward all the way. Maybe I was too cautious with the needle and didn't seat it into the nozzle fully. Next and probably last question of the night.

Should the needle be pressed firmly to the nozzle? Meet it and be set with slight spring pressure? Just ever so gently contact the nozzle in resting position?

-Sm

Needle will protrude through the nozzle and poke out the end... Basically undo the needle chuck, push the needle firmly home, do up the needle chuck. If stuff is leaking through, you will need to clean the nozzle. start with a good soak...

Pull the needle and dunk the part before the trigger.
There's nothing 'behind' the trigger to get gunked up unless there had been a major paint overflow.

As Mark said, do you have the manual that shows the exploded view?

Once everything has soaked, clean out what you can, then put the needle in, you should feel when it's as far as it will go- don't force it obviously.
Interdental brushes can be found wherever good toothbrushes are sold

Tear down, soak, some rubbing alcohol wiping, rinse, dry, and reassembled.

First serious spray testing to come tomorrow.

10-4 on the needle installation description. It seems to have a more intuitive fully inserted limit now that the gunk is all gone. Have a great night!

-Sm

As long as the seals are good, after cleaning should perform well. Pay special, but gentle atention to the nozzle, and when it seems clean, clean again just to be sure. Any spongyness or slight sticking when putting in the needle is an indication of a dirty nozzle, as is an uneven spray pattern. If it isn't spraying well then a new needle and nozzle might be a good idea. Even if they look fine, not knowing how old they are, there could be some flaring or some wear.

Thanks Squishy. It helps to know what to look for.

So I did my first spraying tonight. Usually the girlfriend heads home or is in bed by 7pm... but she wouldn't leave me to my own devices tonight. I had the itch to do some spraying! So I just made a ghetto spray booth out of a hiking boots' box,some sliced up shopping bags, and a bit of tape. The GF was trying to pry me away all the while, and once I started talking about mixing some paints she basically took over.

She mixed up a reaaaaally nice basecoat of a flesh tone that impressed. I helped her rotate paint droppers and gave her about 7mL of ComArt acrylic Tr. Sienna Brown. The rest is all credit to her.

She was hovering around when I started spraying too and asked to put down some paint. She did about half the first coat. Pretttttty good time.

Hope you got a crapload of color ;)..Good little brush but even 10 year ago I think I paid about $140 out of the box for one brand new..but if you got a good box of paint also ad a compressor then prob can't complain..t is at times a gamble buying second hand brushes and would only do so if it was decently priced as most often it doesnt cost much to refurbish em..As long as your happy then thats all that matters and no doubt it will serve you well but yer a good deep clean then see what its doing...I'd guess it prob skips like a beast and will likley need a new needle at least but ya may get lucky :)

Looks like you'd better get your girlfriend her own airbrush, so that you'll get some time to spend with yours lol. Hope the brush is working ok.

So far so good. The only issues are with my lack of experience. I will eventually outgrow the compressor, but the brush is looking to be a long time work horse. I already posted it in my other thread, but I have 3 projects on the go. I've mentioned 2 so far... The second one here is a car!
image.jpeg

Back