Equipment for spraying controllers

E

E.Z Solutions

I currently just opened up a business and part of our business allows us to airbrush xbox controllers.

I would like to know what are some good brands/models of Airbrush Tanks. If there are certain paints that work better for a particular airbrush. What makes a good airbrush system and how much they cost. Paint that sticks well to plastic. I would to know what i would need also to get it up and going.

Thank you.

first i wouldnt paint anything on the controller withought using adhesion promotor first then you can use almost any paint thats airbrush paint such as any urethane paint , wicked or createx, spectra-tex, com-art, etc.. any aircompressor will work and as far as airbrush cant go wrong with badger, iwata, H&S. as far as price it all ranges from cheap to expensive and you can check all of that out at coastairbrush.com or tcpglobal.com or chicagoairbrush.com. hope this helps and you find something that works for you, and when you paint some controllers show us some pic, lol!!

Not much to add over what Seamonkey has , A locations such as what country you are in helps a lot when asking questions like this. It allows people from that country to answer better than those who do not live there.
Pricing for parts , shipping ,Import tax.
Even an intro telling us more about yourself would be nice. Helps us get to know you. Plus being your asking all these questions I have to assume that you have never airbrush before which means you should also check out: Airbrush Tutor - For All Your Airbrush Needs to teach you the basics on how to use an airbrush.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fun endeavor. A lot of the info you're looking for has already been discussed in detail all around this forum, so you might get some pretty good ideas of what to look at from what other members have written. Then head to those web site that Seamonkey mentioned and you can start getting an idea of what kind of set-up you want and prices. Good luck, and stick around here. You'll gain a lot of knowledge.

I know this forum is all about sharing the love, but you are offering a service in a business that you have no clue how to do? The questions you are asking should have really been figured out, tried, tested, and damn near perfected before you started. Good luck.

I know this forum is all about sharing the love, but you are offering a service in a business that you have no clue how to do? The questions you are asking should have really been figured out, tried, tested, and damn near perfected before you started. Good luck.

I'm all about giving benefit of the doubt on this one, yes it should worked out but this might just be a option for him to add to his business. Also it kinda sounds like he may be a partner in the business and sounds like he wants to try it out for his self. I may be wrong but you never know.
I would really like to hear more of the specifics like Mr.Micron stated to really help out on this. But we don't know he may be a great artist and just never tried the airbrush yet....... That's how I got into this;)

Josh

Thank you guys for the reply and I will be checking those sites very soon since i will need to order the parts.

LoL. Er, Sorry. I have spray painted controllers before. Well one to be exact. It turned out great. It looks good but I would prefer it look professional. With all the proper equipment. I already adhesion promoter along with Krylon Paint as well as a Gloss Coat.
The reason im asking so many questions is that I want to do it properly. I'm painting these out of a spray can. I want to have something that will give me an even coat all around.

Apparently I can't post links or images until i've posted a few times?

Late introduction I suppose?

Well hello, I'm Peter. I've been working in a retail store with a friend for the past five years and we've been talking about opening up our own business together for a long time. After this September we decided to and one of the options I decided to bring on the table was having Custom airbrushed xbox controllers. I live in Canada, Niagara Falls and we have nothing close to that here. After watching a few videos on youtube i thought to myself, I could do this. It's not that hard. So I went out to Walmart, grabbed a couple spray paints, a controller, a mask, hobby knife and I was on my way. The first one I ever did also my only one. Turned out not too bad at all I got the designed down pat but I wanted to be able to paint my controllers in a more professional way. I've seen on Facebook/youtube and all across the internet on some of the high end companies that do this sort of work and they've turned out amazing! Hence why I wanted to know where I can purchase professional equipment.

Hope this helps a little..LoL...I'm horrible at explaining things in text. Hahaha

Also I would really like to know, what Spray Paint Gun/Compressor would you recommend for a beginner such as myself. If it's possible to post the link it would be appreciated.
The compressors, are they just regular air compressors? I own a air compressor for blowing out dust out of my computer. Would that work? But i'm thinking it may not since once all the air is gone, i'll need to wait until it fills up again unless these compressors i'm looking at give you a constant flow or air? Also, I'm looking for different types of nozzles on the spray gun if they exist. A mode that sprays blotches almost.

Welcome to the Forum...:)
The thing you have to consider with a compressor is where it's going to be used and how loud is it.......my suggestion would be to buy a starter set, they are not overly expensive and you will get an idea of what you will be able to do with an airbrush.......if bussiness is good then you can always upgrade, the good part about being a bussiness is everything you buy is tax deductable....:)......0.2 nozzle is a good size to start......take a look at the Airbrush Tutor videos on youtube, I'm sure they will help you with most question you may have...:)

A link to help http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/kits.html free shipping with orders over $99

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from Holland and the best of luck with the business. Controllers that are used often I wouldn't clear with Krylon if you want the design to last. Not sure if uro's are an option for you, but if it is check out the Alsa products too. They have regular paints, great effect paints, clears and effect masks that you just wrap around just about anything you want to apply it to.

Have to agree with you Mark, it's absolutely essential to have some knowledge of what your about long before setting up any kind of business, and not just how to do the job, but run the business at the same time without losing profits, benefit of the doubt is one thing, but the question it's self indicates that this person has little or no experience, when running a business all work and services provided have to be guaranteed and the proprietor must be able to find the solution when it goes wrong.

Painting X-boxes is a fantastic enterprise, it means you only have to work a couple days a year leaving you time for other things, like maybe a day job which you have some experience in, I my self have an X-box and Play-Station 3, these are encased in my television cabinet and I can only see the front of both, and I have noticed when I play any games I can't actually see either of them so I can understand why anyone would want to pay to have it painted.

My advice to E.Z. is to take a good long think about what your planning, starting a business requires a clear head and some market research, you need to be sure not only if there is a market for what you plan but also that there is a hole in the market that you can fit into, a business that goes tits up will usually cost you more than you wasted material but can also cost you the roof over your head, don't forget that every bank will throw money at you when you start, but only because they know they can ruin you when you fail.

At the end of the day it's your choice, and as harsh as this all sounds, I would rather save you the pain and suffering of unnecessary failure.

Have to agree with you Mark, it's absolutely essential to have some knowledge of what your about long before setting up any kind of business, and not just how to do the job, but run the business at the same time without losing profits, benefit of the doubt is one thing, but the question it's self indicates that this person has little or no experience, when running a business all work and services provided have to be guaranteed and the proprietor must be able to find the solution when it goes wrong.

Painting X-boxes is a fantastic enterprise, it means you only have to work a couple days a year leaving you time for other things, like maybe a day job which you have some experience in, I my self have an X-box and Play-Station 3, these are encased in my television cabinet and I can only see the front of both, and I have noticed when I play any games I can't actually see either of them so I can understand why anyone would want to pay to have it painted.

My advice to E.Z. is to take a good long think about what your planning, starting a business requires a clear head and some market research, you need to be sure not only if there is a market for what you plan but also that there is a hole in the market that you can fit into, a business that goes tits up will usually cost you more than you wasted material but can also cost you the roof over your head, don't forget that every bank will throw money at you when you start, but only because they know they can ruin you when you fail.

At the end of the day it's your choice, and as harsh as this all sounds, I would rather save you the pain and suffering of unnecessary failure.

Well thankfully im not the one putting up the money to open the business. My partner is opening the business and Im just in the backgrounds helping him out and putting forth whatever I can for his business. i keep saying it's my business because he keeps on insisting that we are the ones who founded it. hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thankfully im not the one putting up the money to open the business. My partner is opening the business and Im just in the backgrounds helping him out and putting forth whatever I can for his business.

In that case I apologise, but you stated in your opening question "I just started my own business", which implies that you already started. it doesn't really matter who's money it is, you or your partner have a lot to lose if it doesn't work out, and if your in the background just helping out, doesn't that make him the boss and you employee?

In answer too your initial question, I think your first tank should be the "think tank".

Just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, I lost my own business 3 years ago, with it I lost my house, my car/van and very nearly my wife, like I said business is cruel when you don't know what your up against.

We are all here to help each other and that is exactly what I'm trying to do here, I would rather have an extra friend on the forum than watch others suffer, so it is not a personal attack or criticism.

In that case I apologise, but you stated in your opening question "I just started my own business", which implies that you already started. it doesn't really matter who's money it is, you or your partner have a lot to lose if it doesn't work out, and if your in the background just helping out, doesn't that make him the boss and you employee?

In answer too your initial question, I think your first tank should be the "think tank".

Just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, I lost my own business 3 years ago, with it I lost my house, my car/van and very nearly my wife, like I said business is cruel when you don't know what your up against.

We are all here to help each other and that is exactly what I'm trying to do here, I would rather have an extra friend on the forum than watch others suffer, so it is not a personal attack or criticism.

Yeah sorry, Im horrible and clearly explaining everything. What do you mean by a think tank? Do you have any suggestions on models? Also airbrush painting isn't the main thing we do. The main thing we do is computer repairs. Airbrush painting is somewhat turning into a hobby for me.

Well thankfully im not the one putting up the money to open the business. My partner is opening the business and Im just in the backgrounds helping him out and putting forth whatever I can for his business. i keep saying it's my business because he keeps on insisting that we are the ones who founded it. hahaha

"Man, in tired of being right"
(Ace Ventura)
It's scary how good I am sometimes!!! But yet so bad at the same time, lol!!

Madbrush, every point you made is valid and spot on, I'm sure it's appreciated by E.Z as much as I do, because I also am trying to start something and I sure will take those tid bits of info and put them to use!!

Josh

Nice to meet you Peter,
As far as a affordable airbrush Iwata Eclipse CS is a great all around airbrush. Does the compressor you currently own go up to at least 40 PSI? If so that will work fine.
Now when you say spray gun are you talking about an good all around gun for base coats and clear coats ? Mini Sata touch up gun should be more than enough for as small as area as you are paint. But why stop at just the controllers paint up the entire Xbox,

But mainly Badger 105 , Iwata Eclipse CS H&S are all great beginner airbrushes ,
Next thing you have to think about is what paint system you are going to use. If this is going to be in a store environment than you will need at least a mini paint booth to suck all the fumes out of the area. The last thing a customer wants walking into a gaming store is to smell paint.http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=225-315 this one is sized good for doing game controllers or even the game system. Urethane paints are great but you have to have the proper safety equipment in place . IE...Spray booth , Spray mask and depending on type of urethane even a spray suit.
Wicked paint, Spectra-tex and AutoAir are all water based paints that work great on any surface, which do not require as much safety equipment to be in place to use.
Clear coat falls in suit with urethane paint .
But I suggest learning all you can from reading post here and seeking out some pro custom paint shops in your area and ask questions.

Been there done that the time and money you will have into the materials and painting them there is no room for a worth wild profit. Take into account what people are willing to pay for this service and it's not big bucks. Me and a friend of mind went down this road and I did like three cases and a few controllers. Not enough money in it to be worth wild at all. My suggestion make like 5 then try to sell them and keep track how much time and material you have in them.

I've heard alot of this adhesion promoter I've never used it what brand ans who sells it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bulldog adhesion promoter autobody supply shops they use it for bumpers and other plastic parts on cars stuff is awesome used when I painted my windscreen on my bike it held up.

Back