Equipment so far

A

AlibiGirl

Ok just pulled out my Aldi special airbrush kit and set it up, I know nothing about airbrush gear but so far the compresser seems ok, quieter than I expected. The brush I'm not so fussed as the little metal bucket sits underneath rather than on top and feels like it will get in the way or even fall off.

What brand brushes are good in Australia?

The paint I have to practice with is only labeled airbrush paint, would I be safe to assume it is acrylic? Do I just thin it with water? What would I use to clean the brush, is just water ok?
e026b26639db5f90ef3a216ffd212884.jpg
c2a2cc47852c4f36d289fbf78769f89e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool cleaning pot! The paint - is it water based? Is it an airbrush paint? Water should be OK. The good brushes in Australia are the same as anywhere in teh world... :) Yay. Iwata is a good brand, H&S, Badger, the brush done by airbrushventuri is a good one as well. Quiet compressor is good! If the cup gets in teh way, move it somewhere else, one of the advantages of those cups!

Lol I guess I mean what's a good buy/brand of airbrush. I'll have a play with this one and might wait till I start the course to get another. Yeah the paint says airbrush paint but doesn't say much else, it was from Aldi so explains a lot I guess. I'm planning on using the cheap paint( was only $2) to play with and practice then get some good stuff when I get more confident.

Iwata eclipse, great all rounder... :) If the paint doesn't go well, spend a bit of coin and get a good paint. That will help reduce frustration... cheap paint + cheap brush+frequent frustration :)

Mark already named the "default" airbrush brands. They all have a wide selection of airbrushes in different price ranges so you should be able to find a gun that suits you and is in the desired price range. All are "A" brands so even the cheaper ones will be of good quality and should have spare parts readily avaliable.

The aldi guns are (for lack of a better word) crap so if you want to seriously get into this you will probably want to replace it. The learning curve on this is steep enough without being hold back by the airbrush itself (a good airbrusher will probably be able to work with a crap brush but when you start out you realy want to spare yourself the hassle)

The compressor is good (not alot that can go wrong it needs to produce air :)) for smaller stuff like illustrations for larger objects requiering bigger guns (carhood) it won't produce enough air.

The paint is almost certainly waterbased (99,9%) as else it would be requiered by law that there where warnings on the label. For cleaning just flush with water though I'd advice to get some airbrush cleaner and flush with that also when you are done painting. (lesson 1 keep that gun clean! :p)

When you get yourself a decent brush I'd also switch to another paint. Airbrush paint requiers a very fine pigment to get it through that minute hole and have a nice spray pattern, airbush paints are expensive for a reason so I'm not realy (realy not :D) trusting that paint. As with the airbrush it's not something you want to be fighting when starting out.

Check out this thread Bex,
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/where-to-buy-paint-in-australia.13582/#post-195454

You may be lucky and have a bricks and mortar store near you, but most Aussies buy online. Airbrush megastore is great price wise, just keep in mind the GST is applied at checkout. They also stock Iwata airbrushes and createx paints.
But as a newbie I'd recommend Com-art or Etac EFX for ease of use and cleaning

The Iwata Eclipse is a good all round brush.

I apologise in advance as this is longer than my normal. Good advice so far guys.

May I add that another issue with cheap paint is lumps or thick pigment. if you can get some automotive strainers they are pennies to buy you can use them to strain the paint to remove any lumps and when I say lumps they will be miniscule. Make sure you shake/mix your paint thoroughly. This will help.
Being you are a lady I assume you will have some old stockings, nylons or tights (in the uk). You can use them instead of the strainers at a push. This will iliminate another issue that will make you want to throw the airbrush out the window. I had issues with trident which is a premium brand so it's always a good thing to strain your paints. You may have to water the paints down too. The paint should be the consistency of skimimed milk. You will find a sweet spot with the paint thickness. This will come with experimentation and experience and depends on the airbrush too. We ALL go through this even as an experienced airbrusher when you get new paint or a new airbrush you go through the motions to get it just right. The compressor is ok too but try to keep it cool they tend to get a bit hot. Stop every 20 mins or so for 5 mins to give it a rest. If you have a fan aim it at the compressor while you work.

Airbrushes: Your airbrush is probably a 0.3 to 0.5 most likely a 0.5 setup I doubt if it's any smaller than a 0.3 and can cope with slightly thicker paint although can still easily get blocked by the dreaded clumps of paint or pigment.

I can recommend the iwata eclipse as a good starter brush. I started with an Astek 3000 and then had an Iwata HP b+ and have upgraded as I progressed but have used the eclipse to paint realistic fire with and its a great all rounder. Only had a badger sotar which is a detail brush and its good but not a starter brush. I can't comment about the renegade chrome only ever picked one up at a show. I've got a paasche talon which I like and 2 richpen which are good too. But for starters I would get the Iwata and look at some better paints in the very near future.

I think that's it. If I've missed anything I'm sure one of the lads n ladies will shout out. Good luck starting out. Unlike a lot of us when there wasn't things like the Internet to help, it was all experimentation, luckily you have us here to help you along if and when you fall over. Don't be scared to ask questions.

Lee

If you can, get a 60db aluminum compressor I paid $200 CAD for one at the Homedepot. It's so much better than the little ones which will overheat, and also cause a LOT of moisture buildup that could potentially ruin some work. With the added benefit of they are less noisy due to not consistently running

Again, I recommend the eclipse. I prefer the cs version, but if you are interested in a 'bucket' style, they have a side cup version as well, which some people prefer as you can have more cups, more colours on the go, then flush the gun out and swap them around, hasn't been an issue for me, and I don't like the balance of it myself. It's an awesome brush to learn on, and not something you will grow out of either, so a good investment. It's an all rounder, so can do fine line to an inch or so coverage. Then later you can splash the cash a bit and get a dedicated detail brush (micron is my pref) too if you want to. That's the set up I have and I can do anything and everything I need with it.

I'm really not sure of those paints. If you do the Venturi course, you will probably get shown how to use the paints they have. I would maybe try and find out what they use, and get some of those, even if its just one colour like sepia or something to practice with. Then after the course you can use what you've learnt with paints you are more familiar with. Aside from that however, if you are going to be wanting to concentrate on just fine art style airbrushing, then the best paints for that are probably E'tac or Createx Illustration.

Ok I've had time to have a play! Airbrush I an hating as the attached metal pot is a giant pain the arse! The stuiped thing gets in the way and at one point fell off splattering paint everywhere! Also I watered down my paint too much and got splatters:(.

I am definitely going with everyone's infinite wisdom and buying a iwanta eclipse with the bucket on top of the brush. The little compresser seems pretty good so far, very quiet, but then I have no comparison. When I order the airbrush was going to get some better paints to compare but will still for now practice with the cheap stuff I bought but may take some back.

Any brush but Aldi or Supermart LOL should be an improvement and to re-iterate, Bad Gun+Bad paint= Frustration. I'd strongly suggest going to an Airbrush Venturi course, specifically designed for those who have never even seen an airbrush or know what the little bucket is called LOL and within 2 months they will have you painting quite realistic portraits or at least impart the wisdom on some easy methods involved in portrait work..Highly recommend their course to all Beginners and how many units you do and what you spend is up to you and the money they will save you by wasting your time learning reading and making the same mistakes all self trained artists all do at the start, that may at least pay for the course LOL..but more so it will save you a lot of learning needs and more importantly will not teach the same bad habits some forums at times do..Good luck and hope you have fun with it..

Back