Eraser technique

T

troppo

G`day guys
I`d love it if someone could do a vid tute or even just a print tute on using an eraser for highlights, most of the ones i`ve seen seem to contradict each other or just skim over its use.
Thanks in advance folks
Troppo

Hi Troppo, first of all, ideally you need a paint that's erasable, you also should work in light coats of paint so that there isn't much paint to erase.

There isn't much to erasing to be honest but its wickedly effective, giving great effects.
I use several things to erase. I have an electric eraser which I use for harsh highlights like the eye highlight, it also is good for skin texture, you have to sort of dab it on the painting as if you we're doing dots. It can be used for lines too. I use fine scotchbrite for skin texture and also to lighten areas in general.
Pencil erasers are good because you can sharpen them you can do fine highlights, and because they are double ended you have a hard and soft option. Normal erasers are also good to use, any type, just try it and see how it erases.
I also use a rounded scalpel blade for skin textures and wrinkles, it can be used to do anything though not just skin. I use it a lot.
Basically anything that can rub your paint out you can use to erase.

I hope that this helps a little.

Lee

Since cordyk recommended them to me I have found the putty/kneadable eraser a fantastic tool also, you can use a pencil eraser to create a dark/light highlight then the putty to blend away from it creating smooth curves (great for boobs)

I use 2 battery erasers, 1 hard and 1 soft. Then I have a hard pencil eraser and an ink eraser. Then I also have #11 Exacto blades for scraping. The trick is that the paint must be applied in thin layers and the board must also not absorb the paint. You can't erase the paint if it absorbed in the fibers of the paper.

Thanks heaps for the replies folks, you`ve given me much food for thoughy.
Cheers
Troppo

No doubt VR has produced something down these lines m8, I know he made a little demo vid of the basics idea, perhaps ask him directly mate and he'll do something up a little more detailed on the idea's..Also research some drawing videos on the tube mate as this technique has just been borrowed from that arena and there could be some awesome demos showing the basic idea amongst such...GL

Thanks for that reb, i`ll have another look. I never bothered looking at erasing on drawings as i figured we are working in a different medium and the techniques would be different

They are a bit different m8 but basically the same principle, found VR's vid, ya may have seen it already but here it is if ya haven't, shows the basic process well..[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/QkcdRn2E8HA[/video]

Cheers Reb, will watch it now

Thanks for that Reb and VR, that was exactly the sort of thing i was looking for,explained it nicely. Now i just got to wrap my old brain around it all lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Troppo, first of all, ideally you need a paint that's erasable, you also should work in light coats of paint so that there isn't much paint to erase.

I was wondering this for quite some time... So it is not possible to use eraser in automotive work, cause they don't use Ci for example. Right? Am I right?

So what are automotive technique called which produce similar results? Texture,hair,fur and so on?

I was wondering this for quite some time... So it is not possible to use eraser in automotive work, cause they don't use Ci for example. Right? Am I right?

So what are automotive technique called which produce similar results? Texture,hair,fur and so on?

They use CI. Cory St.Claire does all kinds of erasing in automotive. He may even be using solvents.

I think Clive has already provided the answer to that question.
I use all the above erasers, and on solvents on hard surfaces, but as has been said, light layers of paint!

you could always grab a scrap piece of steel and try it. The 'licence tags' are good for practice, or old appliances like fridges/washing machines...... a car scrapyard for small car panels

Hey, thanks girls & guys for answering this necro. I was planning to do some alu panels in the future and I was wondering if I am missing something.

Last edited:
Back