Etac FX paint - Grex vs Marrissa - any experience?

That would be my guess crewchief,sometimes i get it with bottled water ,now i use distilled water as its about as pure as you will get

Thanks for the follow up. Puts my mind at ease.

Nothing like drinking bottled water that turns paint to sand.

I am no chemist but I think some companies use a touch of chlorine to get rid of some bugs in water. Maybe this or something like it is reacting with the paint. I use water collected by our dehumidifier, I know this stuff has no chemicals in it.

That would be my guess crewchief,sometimes i get it with bottled water ,now i use distilled water as its about as pure as you will get
I only use distilled water in my paint. Tap water for cleaning. It's been over a year and have not finished half a liter yet.

Andre,

I think the water from a dehumifier is essentially distilled as it takes the water vapour from the air. We use it in our iron as well, stops calcium and lime build-up.

I always use Bottled water but I will start buying better quality stuff instead of the Generic bottle. Thanks for the tip @crewchief227 The reason I use Bottled Water is because I read this in the Etac Information;

"We recommend using bottle water for this in most cases, because distilled water can create a negative effect on how your paint flows. We also recommend NOT to use tap water because often this contains contaminants that can affect performance or color purity."

I use tap water. My work area is usually too cluttered to keep a bottle, let alone full of water. Lol

I now use a small bottle left over from some trident paint I had. Now.my spills are minimal.

I've never had anything happen to my paints while using distilled water.
nor have I and for jus t a few dollars you get a gallon of it,that's not so with bottled water as its a dollar a bottle here for 10 oz, Might try the dehummifier water as it should be the same too

Last edited:
No problem Mel, Well so far so good no worries switching water. I used some FX today and had no issues. Man that stuff is worth it, as I have tried a lot and I think I finally have enough, see pics below lol

Attachments

• 2014-10-02 18.38.47.jpg
    2014-10-02 18.38.47.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 2014-10-02 18.39.26.jpg
    2014-10-02 18.39.26.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 2014-10-02 18.39.37.jpg
    2014-10-02 18.39.37.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 2014-10-02 18.39.47.jpg
    2014-10-02 18.39.47.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 42
Also I wanted to add a little about my experience with USAirbrush the US supplier for E'Tac. I don't know where they are located but I have ordered twice from them and both time the paint arrived in two days via USPS. Ordered on a Friday got it Monday, ordered again on Tuesday as I wanted a few more colors I forgot and it came today Thursday. I also find it funny that my order showed up in a USPS box and their packing materiel was junk newspaper ads LOL Love it

Yep... A lil town in Georgia I believe. When Chris calls back, it says Rome, Georgia on my call log.

No problem Mel, Well so far so good no worries switching water. I used some FX today and had no issues. Man that stuff is worth it, as I have tried a lot and I think I finally have enough, see pics below lol
Hey Chief!! That's brilliant, perhaps that is my problem too. I was thinking the lumps were actually being formed in the cup! So I'm off to buy posh water Ha Ha Ha!! But first I could try some Distilled Water cos I've got some in house already. If there is a difference, then it's the flaming water AAAaagh!

Well if it fixes my issue with my Etac Grex FX then I'll be well chuffed. Nice find my friend :D:thumbsup:

I was just coming in here to post that I am having the same issue... I sent an email this morning, and never heard anything back so I decided to call. I got Chris, and he said he must have missed the e-mail. He said call tomorrow around 9, and he'll just take the order over the phone.

here's the message I was getting

"We are unable to find a USPS shipping quote suitable for your mailing address and the shipping methods we typically use.
If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact us for assistance.
(Please check that your Zip Code is entered correctly.)"

I usually have the issue of clumping when paint dries to the side of the bottle, and when you shake it, it breaks off and makes the paint clumpy... That's my only issue so far.

OK, I not only contributed to this thread but followed it to the end and forgot everything I read.

So I mixed some Etac PS black and white in a small bottle. Put some in my brush and thinned with.. TAP WATER. Within minutes my brush was acting really weird. I dumped out the paint in the cup, and their were all these white balls in the bottom. I shoulda took a pic. It took me a minute to remember this thread.
So I dumped out the gray I had created in the little bottle just to see, and it was fine and smooth. I really never use Etac PS, as I know I've thinned my FX stuff with tap water.
So now it's Distilled water for everything.
I'm also gonna see how DW reacts with my Wicked paints, as I'm horribly un-impressed with my "high performance reducer".

Just wanted to say I tried Marissa Etac FX Carbon Black today reduced with Trident Reducer instead of Bottled Water and it worked great!! I finally got my CM-SB 0.18mm setup spraying like an angel :D with it. Once again thanks to @spazticchild for the tip about Trident Reducer because I'd never have tried it otherwise and I'm dead chuffed with the result.

I like the Trident Reducer better than using Bottled Water because it dries quicker (not as fast as Com-Art) so it has less chance of spidering. I still have to be careful to not build up the layers too quickly so that the air pushes the wet paint around but if I give it a few more seconds to dry it works great. Still not as good as Com-Art but Etac doesn't seperate in the bottle as fast as Com-Art does so they both have pro's and con's. It could be that once I get used to using Etac and adjust my painting technique to suit it then I'll be a convert. This mix gives a lovely smooth finish.:thumbsup:

Just wanted to say I tried Marissa Etac FX Carbon Black today reduced with Trident Reducer instead of Bottled Water and it worked great!! I finally got my CM-SB 0.18mm setup spraying like an angel :D with it. Once again thanks to @spazticchild for the tip about Trident Reducer because I'd never have tried it otherwise and I'm dead chuffed with the result.

I like the Trident Reducer better than using Bottled Water because it dries quicker (not as fast as Com-Art) so it has less chance of spidering. I still have to be careful to not build up the layers too quickly so that the air pushes the wet paint around but if I give it a few more seconds to dry it works great. Still not as good as Com-Art but Etac doesn't seperate in the bottle as fast as Com-Art does so they both have pro's and con's. It could be that once I get used to using Etac and adjust my painting technique to suit it then I'll be a convert. This mix gives a lovely smooth finish.:thumbsup:
Mel what is this magic elixir you speakith of...LOL. No but seriously tell me more. Where did you get it and so on. Thanks.

@crewchief227 I'm using the Trident Reducer from Trident Paints, I bought it from Lion-Art.nl

@spazticchild also said "if you have some createx wicked reducer or createx high performance reducer, or trident reducer, it will help minimize the tip dry as well as reduce it."

Because I already had Trident Reducer at home I used that and it worked very well. I'm still not sure if I like it better than the Com-Art paint though but I'm using it for the first time so it's too soon to tell. :)

Back