[SOLVED] Ethanol Hell ;(

Mat

Double Actioner
Hi all sorry I haven't been around much but we had some very bad family news ;( ...But you have to carry on i guess,Well I have been looking into home made cleaners and today I tried getting hold of some Denatured Alcohol.............does the phrase rocking horse pooh ring a bell lol ;)

I been to about seven different places today aaaaaaand not a sausage ;( I have seen it online so I thought,well I will have to wait till I get home and get some off the worldi widei web ;) Then as luck would have it we had to got to Asda and while walking down the Outdoor isle "The one with the BBQ's etc ;)" and low and behold I saw a plastic bottle which said Bio Ethanol Fuel ;) So one had a butchers at it and on the back it says Contains denatured alcohol Ethanol (CAS 64-17-5)....So I looked like a kid a Christmas yaaaaaaaaaaaayyy i thought,but just incase i called the number on the back and the lovely lady said " It's 95% pure " I then told her what it was for and she said we can't tell you that's it's ok to use in the way you want......"ruddy hell I thought this may be it hahahah"

Now as per usual I'm second guessing if it's ok I tried asking ruddy mighty wise and wonderful GOOGLE but still couldn't get a straight answer lol aggggghhhhhhhhh lol Can anyone tell me if this stuff will work have put some pics on of the bottle front and back and as I was told off the lass from their end it's 95% pure and it onlycost £4 everywhere else online are asking between 8 and £10 so have i fell lucky or have i scored another ruddy home goal lol ;) Also they say to use Distilled water but some peeps have said it's ok to use De Ionised water is that ok or or does it have to be distilled as I have a fair bit of De ironosed stuff already for ones car battery etc ;)

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be very grateful Thank's for reading
http://

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to say that I was looking at home made reducer which is why I asked about the Distilled Water lol sorry brain id shot at the moment lol or senility is creeping in ........I'll go for the latter ;) hahahah

According to wikipedia, denatured alcohol is ethanol. The alcohol is denatured by adding a chemical that makes it poisonous and makes re-distillation impossible so people don't drink it.

Hi mat
I cant say much about your specific product, but I found a site somewhere that said some countries dye the denatured alcohol purple, in South Africa we get something called methylated spirits. Seems to do the trick .

According to wikipedia, denatured alcohol is ethanol. The alcohol is denatured by adding a chemical that makes it poisonous and makes re-distillation impossible so people don't drink it.
Sounds right - and the purple dye here in SA is for identification to not drink it. :)
Hope this helps

Cheers fly we have it dyed purple over here too but very few places if any stock the clear stuff which is why I jumped for joy when I saw this stuff in ASDA the problem is that itf this stuff isn't right I will have to get it off line even ruddy distilled water you can't even get that from anywhere over here this country has become a ruddy joke all the small shops have been swallowed up by big ruddy chains and they now sell nothing....I see peeps from the States saying you can pick this up from Wallmart they are sooooooooo lucky we can't get anything all we can get is what the Government want to LET you have it's become so screwed down now it's so hard to source stuff over here and if you order from outside GB we then get leathered with an import tax which ends ep costing more than what you have purchased ;(
Sounds right - and the purple dye here in SA is for identification to not drink it. :)
Hope this helps

Cheers Lowrider the tablets I'm on at the mo really mess with my head sometimes it's hard to process stuff Iv'e always been ok with buying stuff etc but all this cack I'm on now makes me second guess myself all the time it's really hard to read stuff then decide if what I need is right ;( can't wait to get my back sorted and get off this stuff :( It's a pain having to do stuff like this but I need to see it in black and white to know if it's ok......Got to love those Pharmaceutical companies for leaving one like a zombie hahaha ;)

Sounds sore mat - I hope you come right soon. I don't pretend to he any sort of expert, but I am getting reasonable results with the purple stuff, and on a side note here in SA you actually have/had to ask at the counter for the meths. Wasnt just available off the shelf.
Lol @ ur rant over gov interference :)

We can get it off the shelf over here but nowhere sells the clear stuff.....Not sure why the only thing is I can think of is that they don't want us to make anything different and we can't get a clear glass cleaner over hear othe r than auto stuff again the big wigs scared on missin out on VAT or another stealth tax hahahah ;) And now after reading that you use the purple stuff I feel a proper pillock as I thought that you needed the clear stuff for both hahahahah yup pop me in the corner with the dunce's cap on hahahhaha crickey ones melon is knackered lol so will use the purple peril stuff lol and for cleaning...and do you know the fun thing is I still aint put air to paint yest as waiting for my second trap to turn up my my youngest smashed my first one an hour before I was planning on starting for the first time ;( goto love ones offspring
Sounds sore mat - I hope you come right soon. I don't pretend to he any sort of expert, but I am getting reasonable results with the purple stuff, and on a side note here in SA you actually have/had to ask at the counter for the meths. Wasn't just available off the shelf.
Lol @ ur rant over gov interference :)

talking about offspring - my middle one managed to cut up a whole sofa back cushion with scissors before i noticed - and yes I was in the same room with her - while she was cutting AND while she left the room, climbed a table to get the scissors, came back and started her Edward scissor hands game. :O

edit - and you needn't sit in the corner - we are all learning stuff - and this is a good place to be learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
ethanol is considered drinkable (moonshine), But the foams you have shown make it more to the Denatured alcohol being you really do not want to drink it...

Depending on the proof or percentage of alcohol by volume, you may want to start out with 10% ethanol to 90% water. to see how it work. The more of it you add the faster the drying time should be.
[h=2][/h]

Cheers pal I was told it was 95% so will try 10% and fingers crossed Friday night pal you'll be seeing ones first steps into ABing hahahah had to get cash for another Regulator as Zach decided to try and move my tool box in the utility to reach something and bang crash regulator knackered and my spirit level got smacked into the plug socket which cracked so had to replace that as well and with all the other family stuff going on it's been a nightmare pal ;( but my new regulator will be here worst case Saturday, but expecting it Friday sometime then there's no stopping me hahaha so stay tuned lol ;) and than's again for the ratio's herb your a star ;)

And have some spare cash next week so my better half said the purse strings will stretch to some paint so that's a big plus will start using what eenesha so kindly gave me It may seem a tad sad but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas and hopefully Christmas is on Friday hahaha ;) Or Saturday morning lol ;)
ethanol is considered drinkable (moonshine), But the foams you have shown make it more to the Denatured alcohol being you really do not want to drink it...

Depending on the proof or percentage of alcohol by volume, you may want to start out with 10% ethanol to 90% water. to see how it work. The more of it you add the faster the drying time should be.

Is that why Grandparents are so happy to see them ??? As they know they can give them back ;) Ahhhhhhhhh the joy's of parenthood ;) At times I realise why some Animals eat their young hahahaha ;) And your right this is a great place to learn everyone here are so helpful as I hate asking questions but everyone gives advice so freely it's amazing as in some lines of work it's hard to get in as they play their cards close to their chests but this forum is the exact opposite ;) It's ruddy wonderful it truly is ;)
talking about offspring - my middle one managed to cut up a whole sofa back cushion with scissors before i noticed - and yes I was in the same room with her - while she was cutting AND while she left the room, climbed a table to get the scissors, came back and started her Edward scissor hands game. :O

edit - and you needn't sit in the corner - we are all learning stuff - and this is a good place to be learning.

Cheers pal I was told it was 95% so will try 10% and fingers crossed Friday night pal you'll be seeing ones first steps into ABing hahahah had to get cash for another Regulator as Zach decided to try and move my tool box in the utility to reach something and bang crash regulator knackered and my spirit level got smacked into the plug socket which cracked so had to replace that as well and with all the other family stuff going on it's been a nightmare pal ;( but my new regulator will be here worst case Saturday, but expecting it Friday sometime then there's no stopping me hahaha so stay tuned lol ;) and than's again for the ratio's herb your a star ;)

And have some spare cash next week so my better half said the purse strings will stretch to some paint so that's a big plus will start using what eenesha so kindly gave me It may seem a tad sad but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas and hopefully Christmas is on Friday hahaha ;) Or Saturday morning lol ;)

Well I know the feel the ignition lock went out on my truck and the house for it is toast so I have to buy the entire thing , When it rains it pours..LOL

But that is life take the good with the bad and keep moving forward.
Hope things start looking brighter for us all...

Back