Evening all

Wishbone

Triple Actioner
Hello from sunny skegvegas uk I'm just starting my journey which I think is gonna be a long one.I have two children and a busy work life so airbrushing time is only 3 or 4 hours at the weekend. I started oct 19 with my first ever try1_P_20201019_073332.jpg

No laughing my heart sank I thought maybe this is not for me did a few more with similar results P_20201026_072803.jpg
Again not great but then I discovered mick neill's tutorial and on Nov 11th managed to do these P_20201109_072935.jpg
The first two were done with harder steenback ultra but couldn't get on with it so bit the bullet and got a hp cs .35
Createx wicked black on a4 printer paper go easy on me this is but the start!

Hello from sunny skegvegas uk I'm just starting my journey which I think is gonna be a long one.I have two children and a busy work life so airbrushing time is only 3 or 4 hours at the weekend. I started oct 19 with my first ever tryView attachment 65014

No laughing my heart sank I thought maybe this is not for me did a few more with similar results View attachment 65015
Again not great but then I discovered mick neill's tutorial and on Nov 11th managed to do these View attachment 65016
The first two were done with harder steenback ultra but couldn't get on with it so bit the bullet and got a hp cs .35
Createx wicked black on a4 printer paper go easy on me this is but the start!
Dude, this is definitely better than my first few go’s at a skull. You’re absolutely heading the right way. I get that printer paper seems like a good place to start, but it has a ha it of holding onto overspray and making things look blurry. Some synthetic papers are more expensive, but they allow for erasing techniques and are less absorbent.
Take a look at getting some transparent base for the wicked paints. It’s paint without the colour, so you can add drops to every 1 drop of Wicked Black to make the colour less intense. It makes it easier to have some soft blends from dark to medium, to light.
Honestly though, you’re doing great.

Thanks for the reply really appreciated I'm worried about the synthetic papers at this early stage as I know that I'm gonna get spiders
I get that, but it’s nothing really to worry about. If you’re getting nothing but spiders, lower the pressure a few lbs and go again. Use the first sheet to do dots, daggers and lines to get used to it. If you plan to paint on canvas, get some canvas and dive in. If you plan to paint on cars, grab a non porous surface and give it a whirl. If you’re working on a tight budget (which I have a lot of experience with), grab a cheap photo frame and paint in the glass. If you make a mess, clean is off and start again. You can always put a reference photo under the glass and paint on top. Can’t get cheaper than that, and it’ll help with learning control of the trigger and air pressure.

Excellent advise gratefully received I am planning to airbrush custom bikes in the distant future so practice on a shiny surface is probably what I need and will do it takes me all my time to keep the paint where I want it on an absorbent surface so a shiny one should prove fun.again your help is much appreciated

Excellent advise gratefully received I am planning to airbrush custom bikes in the distant future so practice on a shiny surface is probably what I need and will do it takes me all my time to keep the paint where I want it on an absorbent surface so a shiny one should prove fun.again your help is much appreciated
No problem Buddy. Just passing on the help and tips I received here when I started. I’m into the car, motorcycle painting side of things too. I love the whole concept of custom paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard,
I think we all had the 'maybe this isn't for me' moments when we first started, but with guidance and patience you will improve I promise.
Accept you are a learner and you'll be more comfortable, listen to the advise you are given, try it, if it works that's great, if it doesn't then try the next suggestion. We've all been learners and feel your pain but are happy to help you as you embark on your journey :)

Putting an outline (like a children's colouring book page) under a glass frame is a great way to learn control, especially if your goal is hard surfaces.

as for your achievements above... ... so far so good :)

Thankyou I've ordered some yupo paper would etac efx carbon black be a good choice to use? And do I reduced this or leave as is ?

Welcome! I started on printer paper too but moved to bristol paper and noticed a big difference for not much extra cost. Erasing becomes possible! And yes I second the suggestion on mixing transparent base in with your paint, I find that it makes my mistakes show up less because they are lighter, and I can cover them up with more light coats.

Thankyou I've ordered some yupo paper would etac efx carbon black be a good choice to use? And do I reduced this or leave as is ?
Etac has a lot of fans. I believe it may need a little reduction and I think water can be used. Distilled water is always best due to contaminants in tap water, but I’m going to tag in [mention]Ronald art [/mention], who I know has a ton of experience with Etac.

Welcome to the forum! No one here is going to laugh at your work. We were all in a very similar place once. Everyone here wants to see you succeed and is willing to help you do just that.

If your goal is to do custom work on motorcycles, I encourage you to do exactly that. I've been in the industry for nearly thirty years now. You are far better off practicing on hard surfaces now as @SiRoxx mentioned above. Absorbent surfaces are far more forgiving than motorcycle tins.

Thanks for your time again siroxx I'm taking it all onboard
That’s cool man. You don’t need to thank me, we’re all here for the same purpose and it wasn’t so long ago I was a new face around here. So you’re just allowing me to pay it back. Anytime you have any issue or problems you can’t figure out, make a post and you will get pointed in the right direction.

It’s not just because he’s here lol. But I can honestly say that [mention]wickedartstudio [/mention]has a ton of fantastic videos on his YouTube channel. The beginner series is outstanding and I have sent the links to a bunch of people already.
With regards to learning about reducing paint, I truly believe you can’t do much better than these couple videos.

Although it’s a different system to yours. The principles are the same.

Etac doesn’t erase very well. Createx is better if subtractive methods (erasing, scratching etc) are what you want to do.
Many great artists don’t erase (Gerald Mendez for example)

Back