Evolution finally wants to do it

M

Madbrush

A lot of the longer term members will remember that I bought myself a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution silverline 2 in 1 with 0.2 nozzle (fitted) and 0.4 nozzle in the case, which I was totally in love with until I attempted to use it, then it all went pair shaped, I tried it with the 0.4 nozzle and even that did nothing.

A short time ago I noticed that Bad65 used the evolution on one of his paintings, I asked at the time what paint he used and what ratios, he kindly informed that he used Schminke aerocolor and thinned 20:1, I promptly tried that and still got nothing.

However, today because there was only kiddie stuff on telly and because I was jealous of Seamonkey's present of a full set of Badgers and basically anyone else who got a new airbrush for Christmas, I decided to give it one last try before I sell it to someone I really hate for a song.

Here's what I did, I first mixed a magic potion of Schminke black and other colours to make a sepia colour, I then added water to get a 25:1 mix, I then added 5 drops of wicked reducer, only because I had it.

I then turned my compressor on and turned the knob to 10 psi (8 at the brush) and set about some serious practice doing lines, dots, daggers and all kinds of lovely shapes and to my absolute amazement the evolution performed outstandingly, all the previous problems I had are now history and I can finally get down to some serious airbrushing (since it's rotten weather for flying) I plan to paint something with lots of fur, I haven't decided yet what, but it will most likely be my sister in law whom I can only describe as looking like cousin IT with warts.

And one last revelation, for anyone who isn't sure about Schminke aerocolor, you will be totally blown away, you will be stunned, you will be gob-smacked and you just will not believe how well it covers with this amount of thinning, and it loses none of it's properties.

That's great news mate, it's about time you started giving us some more paintings to look at:). Get a few more dots in,get ya confidence up then knock one out......that last bit didn't quite sound right!!!

That's great news mate, it's about time you started giving us some more paintings to look at:). Get a few more dots in,get ya confidence up then knock one out......that last bit didn't quite sound right!!!

Thanks Kev, confidence wasn't the problem, I've been flying a lot and as you know designed my own indoor model and have been busy with that, but now the weather is rubbish I can spend more time in the studio, I can't wait to do something with the evo, I'm messing around with some refs in preparation.

Hey I forgot to add that I am also in possession on one of those after visiting an old mate who bought one after going on a AB course 2 years ago and it sat in his workshop draw brand new and unused!! So I commandeered it telling him its a disgrace....plus I would like to try it:). Hopefully he will remember in another couple of years that he used to own one! Must say its a well built and slick looking piece of kit, not sprayed much through it, used com-art and the atomisation was great. Very light trigger and lighter than my Iwata HPC+, nice little gun.

Glad you got it worked out harder steenbeck makes amazing AB's also aerocolors seem bright when ever I see them used in peoples art work very expensive here in the states $12.58 for the 28ml bottles which is just under one ounce. One of those things I wanna try but don't want to pay that kind of money for. Would be my luck would love the stuff and go broke buying it.

Last edited:
That's correct, I found the trigger too light and made a little stiffer, I also made the air valve spring stiffer to give me more control, some like it loose but not me.

I would say if you've got one use it, when it does work as mine now does, it's a real easy brush and performs excellent physically, it's a bit like holding an expensive pen.

Glad you got it worked out harder steenbeck makes amazing AB's also aerocolors seem bright when ever I see them used in peoples art work very expensive here in the states $12.58 for the 28ml bottles which is just under one ounce. One of those things I wanna try but don't want to pay that kind of money for. Would be my luck would love the stuff and go broke buying it.

That is damned expensive, I get 250ml bottles for under €20 which is about $24 I believe, we get the 28ml bottle for about $6, but think that's dearer because it's a glass bottle with dropper in the lid.

i found that a proper working gun will shoot about anything after my frustration with my 150 and 360 the velocity did some amazing shtuf until my problem with the needle bearing but sitting in my room like mad brush with everyone getting new ab's for Christmas but me i decided to order new nozzle& needle set for velocity i wood rely like to get a chrome but honestly i don't celebrate Christmas i am all alone in the world except for mama ferret in Florida and cant rely afford a new krome i think i want it more fore something new and exciting i just cleaned my velocity and it is effortlessly doing fine hairlines and super fine eyelashes on practice eyes my point you might want to check the needle bearing on that airbrush i think you can order the three piece needle bearing and screw from h&s in Florida oh and my other point i dont know if i should bother worrying about a krome the infinity is an awesome gun i should order a crplus reason is i use the .4mm setup and spater cap for portraits extra guns mean no more cleaaning anc changing nozzle sets every 15 minuets

Finally!!!!!! It's about time Madbrush!!! Get that sexy thing dirty (the brush, not your sister in law) LMAO!! If you need a reference with lots of fur I got some cool ones!!! Glad you got it going!! Applause!

Josh

Back