Extender as mate clear ?

Diegojavbau

Air-Valve Autobot!
In theory , acrilic extender must be the same as mate clear , is that correct ?
Can I use extender as a finishing matte clear ?

Ummm, that could be REALLY expensive... not sure but will be interested to know the answer... Might find it has some other "unintended" properties, especially if it shrinks when used in a large area without the paint...

Not really, extender is just propylene glycol ( I am assuming what you call extender is the same as what I call extender :))

Its used to slow drying time in acrylic paint for those who want to work the acrylic paint more like an oil paint, not as a clear. Though do you mean Transparent Base? If so different story...

Sorry for my mistake , here sellers call Extender to the acrilic transparent base ... used to make the paint more transparent without lose density like adding water

Only one way to find out... yes, the transparent is much different!! Not sure how hard it will form. At least it will remain flexible!

Sorry for my mistake , here sellers call Extender to the acrilic transparent base ... used to make the paint more transparent without lose density like adding water

Yer not sure why manufacturers do that LOL, but figured it was likely the other. All transparent base is, is a clearcoat essentially anyway...kind off, other stuff added in, though good for reducing but essentially not that different to adding water imho, only real difference it you can reduce it a lot more without potential binder breakdown when mixed with the actual paint,, besides that yer you can just use it as a matt clear but more just for protecting work or intercoats, it aint gonna protect quite as well as an actual true matt clear but that depends on surface needs to as it is good for protecting fabric stuff, on metal would choose other cheaper better alternatives...

Ah so here is a question, if you want to prevent bleed through of colours you could spray a layer of trans extender, let it dry then paint over...?

Ah so here is a question, if you want to prevent bleed through of colours you could spray a layer of trans extender, let it dry then paint over...?

its one of its uses m8 but are we still talking the same product because a transparent extender to me is another name for a reducer ie water is transparent extender LOLOL, but yer many use transparent base for that purpose, it helps close up the nap/weave of fabric, but saying that you can do the same thing by painting on better fabric. The higher the thread/weave count, the less the paint will bleed naturally, its mainly on cheaper shirts that its an issue but all material types paint different, personally I like the bleed aspect though as it can help create nice blends so personally I don't use base for that purpose..but kinda depends on what your after.

Last edited:
its one of its uses m8 but are we still talking the same product because a transparent extender to me is another name for a reducer ie water is transparent extender LOLOL, but yer many use transparent base for that purpose, it helps close up the nap/weave of fabric, but saying that you can do the same thing by painting on better fabric. The higher the thread/weave count, the less the paint will bleed naturally, its mainly on cheaper shirts that its an issue, personally I like the bleed aspect though as it can help create nice blends so personally I don't use base for that purpose..but kinda depends on what your after.
Cool, yes, looking for a method of doing effects like true fire without bleed... need to experiment!

Back