Extremely poor mans micron eclipse

Seamonkey

Air-Valve Autobot!
For all the people out there that want a micron so bad they can taste it, try this.

Ok I took my Iwata Kustom eclipse cs which is exact same as the Iwata eclipse hpcs and modified the nozzle to make it a mini micron and still using the .35 needle and packing nut, and I have test results to prove it works to get a little better lines, but the person holding the brush means more.
I had an extra .23 micron nozzle tip and swapped it on the normal eclipse nozzle (it just screws in). Here are some pictures of the nozzles, you can see the micron tip is a little bit longer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352206488.871863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352206507.630809.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352206543.749444.jpg

Josh

Here are the results. The sphere is to show shading and fades. The vertical lines on the left sides of the test are about 3/4 of an inch away from the paper to show the atomization differences. The horizontal lines at the top are fine detail/ hair lines about a 1/16 of an inch away from the paper.
All tests are done with wicked detail black.
First the regular stock eclipse.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352209975.443162.jpg
Next is the modified .23 nozzle eclipse
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352210067.354246.jpg
Next is the stock Kustom micron cm
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352210154.628606.jpg
Here they all are side by side.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352210286.894897.jpg

Everything was done the same on each paper, same distances and intensities to show the differences. Everything with the true micron is smoother and softer. The modified eclipse is better than the normal eclipse an it only cost $50 for the nozzle tip from the Kustom cm. these results were done in a hurry but there are results. I will keep going with this new setup and tell more further down the road. Please don't mind the squiggly lines and such, like I said I was in a hurry, lol!! Hope you like it so my time wasn't waisted to much. In my mind so far I like the setup.

Josh

Hey Josh. I see the gears are always turning! That is a pretty cool idea. Now you just used the nozzle from the micron? The needle is from the Eclipse? Might have to give this one a shot. I have the same set up minus the Kustom micron. Thanks for the tip.

Very interesting experiment, i would have not thought the .35 needle would work in the .23 nozzle though. Can you also use the .23 micron needle in the eclipse or is the diameter too small to
hold it in place of the eclpise ?

Hey Josh. I see the gears are always turning! That is a pretty cool idea. Now you just used the nozzle from the micron? The needle is from the Eclipse? Might have to give this one a shot. I have the same set up minus the Kustom micron. Thanks for the tip.

Yep, just the nozzle tip. It screws into the nozzle. I don't know if the other micron tips work. All I have is the .23 set up.

Josh

Very interesting experiment, i would have not thought the .35 needle would work in the .23 nozzle though. Can you also use the .23 micron needle in the eclipse or is the diameter too small to
hold it in place of the eclpise ?

You can not use the micron needle or packing nut. This is the only way it will work. If you think about it, the .35 needle still tapers all the way down to a point so it does fit, would be a ton better if the smaller needle work though, lol!

Josh

Josh! this is awesome mate. good find!
Normally you have to change the entire head assembly as heads/tips/needles are made for one size. I'm surprised that this actually worked?
Howcome the micron needle doesn't fit? is it something you could cut?

I didn't cut anything or do anything out of the ordinary, well maybe a little bit, lol. The micron needle won't fit because of the diameter of it is to small for the needle chuck to tighten down on it, also the packing nut is a different size. The .35 setup works just fine in it. It basically turns your eclipse into a micron, well more like a Khrome or velocity. It will just give you a smaller nozzle tip. I really like it so far and you can see it gets good fine lines and soft fades. I plan on making a video on it to really show what I'm doing. Glad you liked it!!

Josh

Cool idea m8, I have a lot of old airbrush bodies laying around and different head assembly's could be worth trying to mix and match to get another gun or two spraying for me. There not being used so nothing bad can happen LOL

I'm glad you posted this. I just like the way my eclipse CS feels in my hand as opposed to the smaller hpc+. I've already converted an hpc .3 to .2 mm and it works pretty well. I've been thinking I wish Iwata would make a .2 conversion for the eclipse CS. Now you've gone and done it! I think I have enough parts laying around to give it a go. Now we just need to figure out some softer springs for the trigger and air valve. Thanks Josh!!!

Great idea. I love Eclipse. So, I have a question. What size are the nozzle threads? I know hp-c has smaller threads than hp-c plus. Would the nozzle from a .2 hiline (hp-ah) screw in to Eclipse? Almost a $20 difference in price than a micron nozzle....

For all the people out there that want a micron so bad they can taste it, try this.

Ok I took my Iwata Kustom eclipse cs which is exact same as the Iwata eclipse hpcs and modified the nozzle to make it a mini micron and still using the .35 needle and packing nut, and I have test results to prove it works to get a little better lines, but the person holding the brush means more.
I had an extra .23 micron nozzle tip and swapped it on the normal eclipse nozzle (it just screws in). Here are some pictures of the nozzles, you can see the micron tip is a little bit longer.
View attachment 6191
View attachment 6192
View attachment 6193

Josh
NO lie, you probably won't believe me but 2 days ago I was gonna screw my hp-c nozzle into my hp-cs to try it. But I noticed the nozzle was longer so I didn't bother.

BUT I am gonna try it with the .23 nozzle and the .3 hp-c needle Great minds think alike

Alas Poor Seamonkey has not been on here in forever , Real life took over .
Down side to a poor mans Micron It is not a Micron . While you can get some super thing lines the atomizing you get with the real deal is not even close to being there.

Back