Fake "Pin striping"

A

Acesneverwin

So I kind of wanted to stylize my stuff a little bit more. I really like cartoons and animation and at one time wanted to be an animator. I like cartoonish/stylized art and one thing that makes them really pop is thick black lines outlining the character. It makes it look clean and polished. One of the first things I airbrushed was a cartoon shark... I made a stencil to do the thick black lines around him and it really made him come to life... I hated making the stencil though and would have rather just painted the black lines myself with a brush. Using an airbrush to paint the lines with no stencil just wouldn't have the sharpness I'm after. I'd also like to highlight with with white lines cause that makes stylized cartoon looks really pop as well. I've seen airbrush artists incorporate real pin striping into their art but I'm not a striper and also... they always stripe on top off the clear. I wanted my lines to be in the art and under the clear. But I hear it's not cool to do that with real striping as it could get ruined when you clear it.

Tips or suggestions? By the way right now I'm doing a helmet and when I pulled off the tape, it gave the sharp edges a very jagged edge and I want to outline over it to make it smooth. Plus it would look cool anyway.

You could always just use paint markers like Poshca (check spelling) or Molotow to do the outlines. The clear over it. But you do get a 1shot medium so that you can clear after you striped.

You can always do the art do an inter coat clear, stripe, the do a final full clear to lock both in.

Just did a panel today that will probably go the the trash. I tried to stripe flames with a paint pen, for me it was an epic fail, too bad the rest of the piece was pretty good. I am thinking of plotting or hand cutting my flame layout with an extra cut line , so I can lay back in the flame cut out, then pull the stripe and paint with an airbrush or brush. Less chance of me screwing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recently suggested this on another thread. I can't stripe so I cheat. I paint the surface the colour I want the pinstripe to be, then use fine line tape to mask it out the "stripe". (I guess you could use a plotter if you had one, for more complicated shapes) Then I paint the basecolour (may take a few coats over black, I tend to use light colours for my "pinstripe" if I can), then airbrush the object such as a flame, lettering, carton character etc. Then lastly peel off the masking to reveal the "pinstripe". There may be a little ridge because of the different thicknesses of paint, but this will level out if being cleared. Works for me anyway.

I have done it that way to Squishy, the panel I was doing today was white, magenta pearl flame with purple , then fluorescent green striping. Might have been a pain in the butt to do any other way. So I think my Cameo will get a workout cutting a mask so I can do it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll have to try the paint markers... those sound fun ^_^ I'll be sure to do an inner coat clear first though. I never did those cause I was never sure what they used as an inner coat but then like two days ago, I was watching a video on youtube and it turns out you can use the transparent base as a inner coat... I've had a bottle of that for ages I got with a set I've never even opened. I wasn't sure what it was used for.

Oh and I've tried the thin tape base coat pin stripe trick before. That works well yeah for flames and stuff but, when I draw or sketch on paper, I ink it last in black and it really pops out. I wanted to go for that sharp, inked outline look and I can't really do that with tape... I guess I could but it would take FOREVER. A plotter is something I've been really interested in getting cause then I could just make a stencil outline and just airbrush the black lines... I've seen someone do this on youtube and it looked really cool. But he doesn't free hand at all... he just draws everything and then makes a bunch of stencils for the different layers with an outline stencil he uses to make the black line.

Acesneverwin - You will get just as sharp a result off the pinstriping brush in around 1/5th the time of stencilling! I'd say get yourself an Excaliber 000 brush and start practising. The most difficult thing with pin striping is learning how to create curves and it's just a matter of steadying yourself and twisting the brush as you move. You'll learn to predict how much pressure you need around corners, depending on how loaded your brush is and how nice your paint is flowing. You cannot beat pinstriping for borders, outlines etc. Get into it honestly.
Also - if it's a flame job or something like that - alot of the time people will clear/ rub it back, stripe/ clear again. When found this to be a waste of time so instead i'd carefully scratch off any paint edges and I would stripe directly over the base coat. When using One Shot enamels you can get a hardener additive so it's compatible for use under a 2K clear coat. Never had an issue with paints reacting and it just adds so much to your artwork. You can paint on top of it aswell if you want to do your highlights in that same layer!
:encouragement:

Hmm... I guess I could try real striping... Just I'm still kind of a airbrush newbie and pin striping seemed like a whole different ball park. I think I'm gonna use the paint markers to finish this particular project. It was a beat up old helmet someone wanted me to paint for their boy and give me some practice since he doesn't care how it comes out. I'd like to get it done xD But I'll get that brush and some paint and try it out in between airbrushing.

I have a question about the paint though... could I use a rattlecan clear over it? I'm still practicing and generally spray my stuff with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. I have some 2k but my projects are usually small stuff like mailboxes, PS3 tops, and parts of cars... and I wanna do my toilet seat top xD... Would that or some other rattlecan non 2k clear work for little practice projects? Just curious...

Back