Fancy exotic handle for the cheapest airbrush?

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

Just to be clear, I have never claimed to be normal. That out of the way... :)

My good friend 2Diverse sent me this Central Pneumatics #6131 airbrush. This is another Harbor Freight cheap offering. This time, it looks like a knockoff of the Badger 350, which in itself seems to be based on the Paasche H layout. It even has Badger threads. I believe these were less than $20 when new. The gun seems complete except for the handle.
Literature says Made in Taiwan. That hints me this should have been made probably in the late 1990s or early 2000s. In the late 90's the US foreign policy changed and that helped open the flood gates for factories to move to China within a few years.
2v2ec8RKVxJ21ND.jpg

Looks like either it has seen little use, or has been properly cleaned and taken care of. I don't care if it is the most expensive exotic airbrush or the cheapest knockoff, a clean airbrush always wins.
2v2ec8RwgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8Rf4xJ21ND.jpg

So, I took it apart and polished every part.
2v2ec8R6SxJ21ND.jpg

And then.....
2v2ec8RaDxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RZmxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RQTxJ21ND.jpg

I machined an aluminum handle for it! Keep in mind, I have no formal machining training. Just going by instinct and logic. I machine simple parts for my scale models. A true machinist will tell you how much smoother and shinier it should have been. But I like it. And by the way, took me like 3 nights to do. A true machinist will probably do this in less than an hour.
The plastic airbrush body has a trace of what once was (or tried to be) a thread. I did the handle to simply be press fit.
2v2ec8RPWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RRLxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RYhxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8R4VxJ21ND.jpg

Feels really nice and balanced.
2v2ec8RSLxJ21ND.jpg

Of course, like in a busy airport, it is #4 to takeoff for a test flight. Hope I can test it soon.
I plan to create a sticker or something with my name to cover the CENTRAL logo on the body.
So there you have it. A very nice and exotic, one of a kind aluminum handle on the cheapest airbrush.
Told you I was not normal... :)

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

Just to be clear, I have never claimed to be normal. That out of the way... :)

My good friend 2Diverse sent me this Central Pneumatics #6131 airbrush. This is another Harbor Freight cheap offering. This time, it looks like a knockoff of the Badger 350, which in itself seems to be based on the Paasche H layout. It even has Badger threads. I believe these were less than $20 when new. The gun seems complete except for the handle.
Literature says Made in Taiwan. That hints me this should have been made probably in the late 1990s or early 2000s. In the late 90's the US foreign policy changed and that helped open the flood gates for factories to move to China within a few years.
2v2ec8RKVxJ21ND.jpg

Looks like either it has seen little use, or has been properly cleaned and taken care of. I don't care if it is the most expensive exotic airbrush or the cheapest knockoff, a clean airbrush always wins.
2v2ec8RwgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8Rf4xJ21ND.jpg

So, I took it apart and polished every part.
2v2ec8R6SxJ21ND.jpg

And then.....
2v2ec8RaDxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RZmxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RQTxJ21ND.jpg

I machined an aluminum handle for it! Keep in mind, I have no formal machining training. Just going by instinct and logic. I machine simple parts for my scale models. A true machinist will tell you how much smoother and shinier it should have been. But I like it. And by the way, took me like 3 nights to do. A true machinist will probably do this in less than an hour.
The plastic airbrush body has a trace of what once was (or tried to be) a thread. I did the handle to simply be press fit.
2v2ec8RPWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RRLxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8RYhxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ec8R4VxJ21ND.jpg

Feels really nice and balanced.
2v2ec8RSLxJ21ND.jpg

Of course, like in a busy airport, it is #4 to takeoff for a test flight. Hope I can test it soon.
I plan to create a sticker or something with my name to cover the CENTRAL logo on the body.
So there you have it. A very nice and exotic, one of a kind aluminum handle on the cheapest airbrush.
Told you I was not normal... :)

Thanks,
Ismael
So cool! Looks like a Tatooine star fighter.

Nice job,,, doing long tapers by hand without a compound slide is not easy
A good lubricant for ally is Tallow wax it is a refined bovine fat. Unsented pure soap is a second choice just rub it onto the ally and start machining, drilling, reaming and rub it on grinding wheels or cutting disc's. It will be the best tip you will ever get for working ally

Back