favorite paints

Waterbased: only brand i've used that works is createx. haven't used auto air.. want to try it.
Automotive: Protec (think its aussie brand) did the job just as well as PPG.

Much prefer to use automotive paints over water based thanks to the extra detail and fewer problems!
What do you like using?

My favorite is auto air cause i love their hot rod sparkle and candy and I use them for custom paint work like a charade that I am doing at the moment . It is a sound competition car that is primed in epitec high build 2 pack and will have a base coat of auto air base aluminium silver then grey scale airbrush work followed by their candy red and finally Upol 2 pack clear.
I found the Upol clear is nicer to work with than the Protec but The Protec 606 is a good base and solid color paint.
Dupont is awesome stuff but cost is high

When i first bought my airbrush kit and paint i chose Com-Art paint, it was the best choice i think for using to get started with. I had no problems at all with it, no need to thin down as it worked very well straight from the bottle and no tip dry to worry about.

Now i have decided to try different paint, after careful consideration and reading many reviews just last week i ordered some Wicked Detail colours, only used a couple of times but i must say they are great! Took a while to get to grips with reducing but they really are great paints, nice colours, sprays well and detail is good too.

I use a combination of Lechler HF waterbased series and Tetrosyl waterbased from my paint shop systems .The only issues have been that some of the aluminium /metallics need to be strained twice . Thinning i use the manufactures dilutants any ware between 10-50% .For clears i use Mipa cx-1 ,especially for motorcycles and helmets due to its fantastic high gloss gun finish .This dries very quickly .I try to keep solvent use to a minimum so tend to use solvent base coats when using marbalizers / crystal effects and candies with chrome effects .

Well being older thatn dirt I have shot it all , But not through an airbrush but a spray gun. But through an airbrush HOK , SEM and PPG are great, Water base side of it WICKED hands down beats both Autoair and Createx , Second is Autoair ....But I am saving up to give Trident a go , Hopefully the price will become more affordable here in the state for me to give it a go. I have seen some pretty awesome work from it.

I have tried Com-art had way to many issue with it being to thin straight out the bottle , Etac is by far the best for spraying But learning how to mix it up takes a bit of reading and thinking to get the same mixture every time.

I'm just trying Trident out now and so far I'm very impressed! I like the way it flows and the colours are very strong, it's the closest thing to a urathane you'll get, and don't have to pay dangerous goods shipping. In the solvent based range it's HOK hands down!!! athough I'm considering trying DNA's range of Candies and Basecoatz on an upcoming project. Is anybody out there using DNA custom paints???

My favourite is because of lack of choice here in South Africa. First it is Com-art and then Daler-Rowney FW. I can't wait for our local Schmincke dealer to start stocking Aero Color.

I used createx an mainly auto air paint been trying wicked paints really impressed they flow really well although takes a while to build up the detail white.......am I over reducing it?? Find if I reduce less get tip drying issues

Any tips guys air pressure / reducing ratios?? Ives been using it in a Iwata eclipse .35 and a badger renegade .21??

Wicked is awesome!!! Its acts like more of an automotive paint. It isnt as strong pigmented, need layers. Also the detail white is the transparent version, but they do have a opaque colors too. Hope this helped some what!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Also my favorite paints are house of color, kustom shop, wicked, and i have heard great things of sem!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I use Waterbased Com-art and i am satisfy. (I would not recommend using on the metal blanks) and not satisfied of jacquard for the begining. Next i'll try Protec Paints

White is the nastiest color to brush with... because of the calcium it tip dries verry fast, doesnt matter what brand you use. Just cleaning the needle with a paintbrush/your nails after every stop.

When I first started I used pretty much any acrylic laquer I could get my hands on, these spray well and clean up is easy. I really want to try House of Kolor one day too. Fumes etc are an issue though for general practice and day to day spraying at home.
I wanted to use a safer paint so I tried to thin down tubed acrylic artists paint, even bought some airbrush medium to help but couldn't get it to spray very well.
I then bit the bullet and bought some AutoAir, this made a huge difference, I could now get the airbrush to spray half decent although I still needed to customise it with all sorts of concoctions to get it to spray more like an acrylic, the Wicked and newer lines are apparently a lot better.
I then stumbled onto E'tac and ordered some from the States, it was getting good wraps all over and I was keen to try it. I haven't looked back since, it sprayed great straight from the bottle although I now reduce it slightly with a bit of bottled water and a drop or two of Condition-Air. It's good stuff ;)

i enjoy using wicked i like the dropper bottle however i dont like using a special thinner although i found that using rubbing alcohol watered down a wee bit works well i think i will try etack just to let you know a fella in England did a bunch of videos on you tube called airbrushing fine detail with water base paints he uses 3 different airbrushes

My favourite is because of lack of choice here in South Africa. First it is Com-art and then Daler-Rowney FW. I can't wait for our local Schmincke dealer to start stocking Aero Color.

I'm sure when you start using Schmincke aero color you won't be dissapointed, as Mika said it is ideal on paper, but Schmincke also have an additive which converts it to fabric paint which makes it better if you want paint on canvas or even t shirts.

When I bought my first brush I knew nothing about what paint to use, so I started with acrylic artists paint from my local art store, which is more of a gel than a liquid, I noticed quickly that I had to thin it every 5 minutes and it clogged too often, so that was a stupid choice, I did a little research and came across Schmincke and some others, I chose Schmincke only because I could order online and have it the very next day, I was astounded with the difference and now I see no reason to change.

I would like to try automotive paints, but this impossible where I live, in a fifth floor flat.

I also discovered that Schmincke provide a sort of felt tip pen or marker with varying size tips for use with aero color, totally refillable, I've ordered a set of all sizes, because I can draw better than I can paint, I think this will make airbrushing easier for me.

yepp malky,
the Schmincke aero color is amazing on paper, they had a new mixture for the colors now.. works exelent..

My favourite paint is golden airbrush artist Colors, flows really nice and minimal tip dry, I use that in detail work, for bigger stuff such as helmets and bikes I use auto air.

Back