Feedback wanted, please.

Matwes

The Analog Kid
I have done a personal version of a drawn skull I found on the internet.

Please leave feedback on this beginners work. I've been painting for three weeks so I know there's a lot of errors. But if anyone can give me some advice on where I've gone right and where I've gone wrong I would be very happy. The cross bones are horrible.. I know. ;)

Thanks.

Reference:
pirate_skull_by_sirayachin-d3alhbp.jpg

Day 1:
10349943_937674346258092_7816300985118755061_n.jpg

Day 2:
10458558_938441199514740_3798248355536390947_n.jpg

Day 3 finished
10590411_939044079454452_4480125959085789828_n.jpg

For three weeks I would say you are doing well.
I would like to say a few things which might help you.
Your brush control is good for someone so new to the game but you don't need to rush things, be patient and build up the darker areas slowly. many light passes are better than one full coat.
Try and pick your reference pictures that show clean art work, this example is a bit tatty and you are not giving your self a good start trying to copy something which is not great to start with.
Often less is more. we all get a bit trigger happy sometimes and you have to exercise self discipline to not over do the intensity. You can always add more if it's needed.
Overall this is a great effort and I would say that I think your picture is better than your reference. well done :)

I agree Oddball.
You can do a much better picture than reference:). Try to avoid straight thick black shadow drawing a round the round object. This little mistake is already in the reference, and it seems a little unreal behavior of light. (teeth)
Your work is once again better than the reference. Next, try to use a photo as a reference for

Edit* BTW cool signature =)

Excellent work :) the only advice i'd give is to push yourself to move closer to the paper in certain areas to achieve sharper edges. When i look at the pointing i'm looking at the variation of your edges :)

I think it's fab for 3 weeks! You've definitely got it going on! As mentioned above I would avoid outlining as it can make things look a bit cartoony (unless of course that's what you want :) ). And I notice some overspray, I don't know what paint ratio you are using, but if you maybe reduce it slightly more so you can turn down the pressure, it may help, and also angle the brush to deflect the overspray inside the area you are painting. Thinner paint will also allow you to build up more slowly, you will have to make more passes, but you will get more control, and more subtle blends etc.

I wish I was this good when I started, you're storming it.

Excellent work :) the only advice i'd give is to push yourself to move closer to the paper in certain areas to achieve sharper edges. When i look at the pointing i'm looking at the variation of your edges :)

I agree with Mitch. The first thing I noticed were the soft edges everywhere. Some freehand shields would have done you wonders and made the edges pop.

Nicely done. I agree with all the comments. Reduction, spraying closer to artwork and some freehand shields. After that you'll find yourself staring at a masterpiece :)

Yeah reference is key. All that you have show us so far for reference have bad values for airbrushing. Not very many soft edges to work with and all sketchy hard lines. Just get a really good high quality photo of a skull and paint it. You will really see a difference.

Thank you very much all for your kind comments and feedback. :thumbsup::)

I became aware of the bad idea to choose a pretty badly drawn image as a reference as I was painting.. My intention with this painting was to use all the Airbrushtutor-effects I've been training a lot for the last three weeks. Perfection does not come over night and the only way to move forward is to practice a lot. I try to practice painting between 1 and 2 hrs every day alternating between dots/daggers/lines/shades and actual painting.

I will try to take your good advice into my work. Going closer to the object is like stepping into the lions den, my trigger skills are not that good yet and I'm scared of ruin the piece by spraying to much in a particular spot. But, I will step out of my comfort zone and do it!

I'm using Wicked Detail and I'm reducing it 1/3, pressure is 20PSI and lower. I'll reduce the paint a little more next time. And choose a photo as reference. I have an idea for my next painting already and will start a new thread in a little while. I would be very glad if I could get some help on how to take on that one as well.

And hey.. my profile says I'm a double actioner now. I guess I'll have to live up to that! :)

@NaamaEnkeli: My signature... A dear friend of mine commented on it earlier today.. "Nice signature Buddy, a heart and a nut bag". Gonna kick his bag... lol

I use wicked, @ around 20psi and I find I hsve to reduce the black a bit more. I use a 1/3 reducer mix too as a base, but some of the colours perform slightly differently, and the weather/humidity can affect, and so adjust reducer to suit. You know it's good when there is minimal overspray. and it goes on satiny smooth. FYI, the detail paints in particular benefit from being filtered, panty hose works just fine.

Thanks Michele! :thumbsup:

@Squishi. Thanks for the heads up! I'm getting good results on the details with the Wicked Detail Black at a ratio from 1:3 all the way down to 1:8. I like it best at 1:6 for light passes. I believe that when I get better I will be able to spray with a little less reducer.

Hi, Matwes.
This game is all about CONTROL, yes control.
You seem to have developed well with the basics, and as all of the above have already given much sage advice for you to ponder,
all i'll add is that the errors being made are small and will be overcome in a short time.
I would not be at all disappointed with the outcome of this effort.
Well done.

Hi spalsha,

Thanks a lot! :)
Control comes with practicing, and I practice a lot. It's not always fun to exercise but it always pays off in the end.

Thats cool, I'm amazed at you fades. you are coming on in leaps and bounds, well done

I'm glad you like it Marty, thanks! :thumbsup:
Three colors in the fades, bright yellow, orange and bright red with a couple of light passes with reduced black on top.

Just a tip, if you use transparent paint you can achieve a blend from red through orange to yellow by just using red and yellow and starting each from the opposite end. Oh and paint the lighter colour first and the blend will happen where the one colour overlaps the other. Simple :)

Back