For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Fell off the wagon

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by 2Diverse, Jun 19, 2022.

1. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

I measured a BUNCH of brushes to get an idea of what acceptable tolerances may be between manufacturers. I used test indicators, gauge blocks, gauge pins, micrometers, calipers, and a few other instruments to examine scores of parts. I don't think based on the results I found that I would draw that conclusion. It does sound really good, though.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    2Diverse likes this.
  2. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

I wouldn’t have been happy with that finish either Mate. I’d have done the same as you and agree that the response is a bit crappy.
    2Diverse likes this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

I’m guessing I think the same as you regarding those comments Dave. Seems a daft thing to say on a public forum.
    DaveG likes this.
  4. 2Diverse

2Diverse Almost Recovering Brushaholic lol Very Likeable!

I'm not certain but I think Ken was unaware that the Customer Service Rep CCd me on her email to him. I think his response was directed at her to tell her what to say. Just a guess.

I thanked him for explaining the chroming process, maybe a bit snide as I think I understand the correct way to do it. And asked how the Patriot and Krome weren't like the Vega I got. More speculation, the amount of Vega 1500s they sell in a year can't be too many, at least as compared to the Patriot and Krome.

I also introduced myself, gave some of my background and told him I owned around 35 Abs, most of which were T&C or Badger. I got no response.
  5. palk

palk Spider Splatterer

Well it is an age old argument do you want product that proforms like racecar but it looks like one on the inside and outside too. Or do you want a Rolls Royce graceful inside and elegant outside and proform's well. Then there are Lamborghini's beautiful inside, outside and as close to a road going racecar.
    It is a choice I have made many times as a manufacturer for customers, fuction over form has being my fall back.
    Ken was maybe thinking he was selling a racecar.
    That said I have 5 Chinese A/B none look like that vega cup attachment. They all came with 3 needles/nozzles and 2 caps each. By the time I finished playing musical needles ,nozzles and caps, they all work pretty well
  6. 2Diverse

I've read this a number of times and I'm not sure what you are saying. Does the Vega brush I received look acceptable to you?

I don't understand your race car analogy either. Most race cars I see are well finished. Only when you get down to the lower end (financially) of the sport do you see poor looking cars. If Badger were a race car team I would think they would be in the top tier. Their competition is and would be Iwata, H&S, Grex, Paasche, et al.

Take a Porsche entered in the next 24 hours of Le Mans. What would people say if it had runs and heavy orange peel in the paint? Would you be willing to buy a Rolls or Lamborghini with poor paint for the full price? I wouldn't want to buy a brand new low end Chevy that had bad paint.

I have searched both the Badger and USAAirbrush sites for the disclaimer DaveG posted. Nowhere can I find (to reparaphase Dave's paraphrase) "The airbrush you receive may look like a POS". If you can find it on either site I will change my tune. When I bought the Vega I thought I would get a well finished AB. There was no reason for me to think other-wise.

Just my opinion as far as Ken thinking he has a race car. He wants to sell airbrushes. The more the better. If they are substandard I doubt he cares. If they get a complaint they can just blow it off, as in my case. Perhaps if you jump up and down and kick and scream they might send a good replacement. I didn't do that. I took my business elsewhere.

:)
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  7. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

For a while there, Ken was doing a live feed on Sunday afternoons (I have no idea if they still do them). That is where/when I heard his comment(s) about the finish on some brushes.
    2Diverse likes this.
  8. 2Diverse

I'd be curious to know if he ever repeated it on a later broadcast.
  9. 2Diverse

On a different note, I usually frequent a pizza shop on Tuesdays. There is a young lady who works there and is usually the one who makes my food. When I was there Tuesday she said that she had put her notice in and Saturday would be her last day. I asked what her plans were. She said she was going to take some time off and then start college. I asked what she was going to study and she said a few things I wasn't clear on but graphic design was one and so was art.

I asked if she had an airbrush and she said no but she would like to try it. Today (Saturday).I gave her the Revell Flex that is the actual topic of this post. I do not have a spare compressor so I couldn't help her with that. I did give her a list of what she should look for in one and other things she will need to know. It will probably be a while before she uses it but she said she would send pics when she does.

I like to get newbies started:).
    erwin de pan and DaveG like this.
  10. Kingpin

Kingpin Needle-chuck Ninja

What a lovely gesture :thumbsup::)
    2Diverse likes this.
  11. 2Diverse

It's something I choose to do. When I find someone who I believe will get into the hobby I like to help them. This is my way of doing a "Pay it Forward".

It's not like I don't have enough of themlol.
    Kingpin likes this.