Fine line problems with an Infinity

Electric Cat Dude

Needle-chuck Ninja
Recently I bought a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CR plus airbrush. But I’ve been having some problems getting consistent fine lines with the brush. I’m using the Createx illustration colors and Createx reducer mixing about a 4:1 ratio of reducer to paint as the paint is really too thick to spray direct from the bottle. Well the brush can achieve hairlines, it cannot achieve a long, continuous spray of a fine line without tip build up and clogging quickly. I may only get two or three passes with the brush on the worksurface, before I have to clean off the needle tip. This is the first time I’ve ever used Createx illustration colors, maybe it has to do with the medium. I’d like to try something like PH Martin’s watercolor dyes or watercolors through it just for comparison. I also find I’m getting tip build up problems when using Com Art opaque colors through it. Anybody have similar experiences with the Infinity as well?

I have a H&S infinity, i cant get createx (any series) to play nice with it so i dont. Etac EFX seems to be its happy place :)

In my environment i have found the more i use reducer the more i get tip dry. Ive now switched to reducing pigment load with transparent base and then just enough reducer to make it flow well. A 10 minute wait time after reducing seems To help but im not that patient :)

Recently I bought a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CR plus airbrush. But I’ve been having some problems getting consistent fine lines with the brush. I’m using the Createx illustration colors and Createx reducer mixing about a 4:1 ratio of reducer to paint as the paint is really too thick to spray direct from the bottle. Well the brush can achieve hairlines, it cannot achieve a long, continuous spray of a fine line without tip build up and clogging quickly. I may only get two or three passes with the brush on the worksurface, before I have to clean off the needle tip. This is the first time I’ve ever used Createx illustration colors, maybe it has to do with the medium. I’d like to try something like PH Martin’s watercolor dyes or watercolors through it just for comparison. I also find I’m getting tip build up problems when using Com Art opaque colors through it. Anybody have similar experiences with the Infinity as well?
I have one and honestly haven't had any problems. I do keep my pressure down and over-reduce my paints with 4011. In fact, I find that I can get hair lines without stuttering better than my cm-c (but not my cm-b).

It is a 0.15 needle tho so it prefers a very thin paint.

One thing that has caused me some issue is not properly tightening the needle cap. I'm using an older model, and the needle cap has to be on tight to prevent air blowing back up the paint channel. The newer cap is a bit more forgiving but I felt like the lines weren't as crisp.

If you stick with CI, try a drop of liquitex flow improver in your mix. It all but eliminates tip dry.

I did find that golden high flow did work better in it than createx.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I haven't had issue with flow on my infinity.I use wisked and golden high flow. While it is not my go to brush I do take it out and paint with it. I usually have the compressor sitting at about 10 psi when I use it.

After having two Infiniti's and several Grafo brushes, I have basically given up on the .15 needle/nozzle combo. I find that I spend more time fighting with it, than accomplishing something with it. Better using E'tac, but still fight with this setup more than any brush I own. I switched my brushes to the new V2 needle and nozzle combo, and have not looked back.

Like JackEb, I have also started leaving my CI much thicker than looks possible, and only reducing the smallest amount to keep things flowing. If I reduce a lot, all I get is tip dry city. I prefer the new 4013 over the past offerings.

One thing I have noted about the Infinity is that performance seems to improve with more use. I suspect it is the natural polishing of the nozzle throat and needle tip during use. But it does really acquire a lot of tip buildup, more than the ICMs do. That’s a pity as it’s a very innovative design.

Now I recently tried the golden high flow colors through the airbrush, and it has really improved its performance. I also wonder if, in this age of ultra waterproof coatings, if applying such a fine coat over the needle tip would reduce tip build up. I’m not sure but it would be an interesting try.

Now I recently tried the golden high flow colors through the airbrush, and it has really improved its performance. I also wonder if, in this age of ultra waterproof coatings, if applying such a fine coat over the needle tip would reduce tip build up. I’m not sure but it would be an interesting try.
likely any coating would abraid off very quickly as pigment rushes by it, and as you have to clean it.

I use a touch of fine metal polish on my needles to bring them to a mirror shine after I clean them. It really, really helps prevent tip dry with high pigment load paints. Also look into liquitex flow improver. You dilute it 20 to one, and then just use a drop or two in your paint mix. Even witj golden's white, I can spray pretty much constantly for over an hour with no build up.

It also really helps with very fine brushes to develop the habit of having air always on, and just using the trigger back and forth to turn the paint flow on and off. It prevents build up having a chance to start in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Back