First attempt to hair

Ulli

Young Tutorling
Hey folks,

I just want to hear some hints and tipps of you.
Its my really first attempt to get some hair done. For me it is a bit too dark, but a lot went the wrong way :D.

I used createx classic black,
a H&S infinity .15
and I followed jackeb's suggestion to paint on photo paper, since I bought tons of it on a 70% discount.

Thank you in advance
Ulli

You did a good job on the hair, good move using your girlfriend as the reference.

Lee

hmpf :D thx a lot but that was not exactly what I was looking for.
Its my first artwork (idk if its worth to be called an artwork :D) and indeed I have a lot more to learn.
Yesterday I started my second project. I want to "copy" a Skull.
More or less I want to practise this "draw what you see" thingy ;D
Therefore I printed a Skull for reference and began to spray the deepest areas and its quite fun
to see how the Artwork slowly builds up with every layer.
Hopefully there will be more critism to learn some lessons from my mistakes :D
Stay tuned
Ulli

Well the only true way to get good pointers to where you need to improve is by showing the reference you used to paint from.
As far as hair goes it looks like hair, It has great depth in it and it shows how the hair flows . As far as being art it is .
But in the words of Craig Fraser it is all practice for the next piece.
If you make a mistake it is just changing directions LOL.
I am sure almost everyone will tell you that with each painting you do you will learn something new.
For me I learn not what to do more times then what to do .

With Mono coloured hair there isn’t a lot to critique, it’s all just well placed lines.
Personally I would have probably done a couple more layers for more depth, but other than that it has turned out well. You would have probably had more suggestion if you had created a colour piece.

Back