First ever strokes and dots...

M

Michael Wieczynski

These are my first ever dots and lines. since then I've been doing blending dots and lines...however, and this really scares me, I cannot seem to grasp dagger strokes at all..ill try again and throw up another update...

Daggers are a pain to learn, you're not alone, I'm still trying to get the hang of them but I manage to get a picture done.

Don't worry about the dagger strokes. It's a pretty specific technique and as such you won't need it that much when starting out (its nice to have mastered it when doing fur though.. on the other hand fur is a nice way to master the dagger stroke :p).

The problem with the dagger stroke is that it more or less combines a lot of techniques (line, fade, in/decreasing paint, in/de creasing distance). As such it's a excelent practice method to get trigger control but I wouldn't start with it till you have a firm grasp of putting down lines consistently (as in have them start where you want them and them having the width you want them to have). When you have a decent control of that the dagger strokes are the next step.

Don't try to learn everything at once as that will soon become frustrating. the order which I generaly advice:
-Fades in a square (horizontaly, verticaly, diagonaly)
-Fades on a ball (changing the light source a couple of times)
this should give you a feel for the amount of paint and spray pattern at a distance

-Dots
Learning to aim

-Fade on dot (make it a little star)
Learns distance and in or decreasing the amount of paint

-Lines
When does the paint start what effect has speed, distance and the amount of paint

-Lines that follow a scribled line
General control

-Dagger strokes
Combination of most of the above

Last edited:
Like Haasje said on daggers, they take a ton of practice.
Reductions need to be much more reduced to get a consistent spray pattern. Reduction will reduce graininess and it will force you to go over the same line quite a few times building consistency in your technique. Try 10 drops reducer 1 drop paint, it sounds like a lot of reduction, but its really not, especially with Createx.

A previous thread (somewhere on here) suggested that you try LONG daggers at first until you get it down. The longer line gives you time to react until it becomes memory. What i found helpful was snapping off. Instead of merely letting go of your trigger or releasing the pressure, you actually PUSH it off. Talk to yourself while doing it. Talk your ways through the steps. Air on/ Paint / line / speed up and snap off. Sooner or later you won't have to talk it out. It will come natural. I bet I've painted 200 sheets of paper with Dagger on them going all directions. I'm still not 100% consistent. It takes much practice. Keep it up!

Really good for first attempt!! Dager strokes, they will soon come to ya. Follow Haasjes advice, and patience! ! :)

Back