First impression procon boy ps-270 Mr. Hobby GSI Creos

So I know my next airbrush will be this one . My question is are you saying that you can use the the iwata parts on it? Meaning nozzles and needles? That could save a lot of time waiting for parts.
Many of the Iwata parts yes.
The 270 would use an HP-B+ nozzle and aircap. In order to use the HP-B+ needle (smaller diameter) you would need to also use the HP-B+ needle packing.
There may be an Iwata needle that can work directly without the seal change.... but i haven't found out yet.
The needle chuck has no problem grabbing the smaller diameter needles so no issue there.
There are other compatibilities as well.

Last edited:
So I know my next airbrush will be this one . My question is are you saying that you can use the the iwata parts on it? Meaning nozzles and needles? That could save a lot of time waiting for parts.
That would depend on your location with parts accessibility GSI don't seem to suffer in oceania from parts suppliers But I must say I can buy them from the USA cheaper As for interchangeability I would say DaveG would be your best shot ,, I believe his kitchen sinks tap has a micron head on it :D:D
DaveG has helped me a heap and is a straightforward and very knowledgeable

I just got a PS289, the .3mm variant of the PS270, and gave it a whirl. What a value per dollar. A true find. It's my new favorite under the Micron, which may be matched by the PS770, which I don't own.
I only re-read the first page. If any newbs looking for an airbrush stumble on this thread, you can NOT go wrong the GSI Creos line up. There's just no way. Spraygunner.com seems to have the best prices on the Mr. Hobby GSI Creos stuff.

I just got a PS289, the .3mm variant of the PS270, and gave it a whirl. What a value per dollar. A true find. It's my new favorite under the Micron, which may be matched by the PS770, which I don't own.
I only re-read the first page. If any newbs looking for an airbrush stumble on this thread, you can NOT go wrong the GSI Creos line up. There's just no way. Spraygunner.com seems to have the best prices on the Mr. Hobby GSI Creos stuff.
This is why I bring them up so much. Honestly the only downside compared to iwata is that they don't have as much selection. You're kind of stuck w a Mac valve for the 270 and 289 which I think are a bit higher end than the ones without, and your pretty much stuck w c cup gravity feed. All fine w me, but not some peoples cup of tea.

This is why I bring them up so much. Honestly the only downside compared to iwata is that they don't have as much selection. You're kind of stuck w a Mac valve for the 270 and 289 which I think are a bit higher end than the ones without, and your pretty much stuck w c cup gravity feed. All fine w me, but not some peoples cup of tea.

That's one of those things that make you go "hmmm???". Why don't they have ANY bottom or side feeds? Seems strange to me. Any chance Iwata does own some designs that nobody's allowed to remake?

I much much prefer to have a mac valve, though.

That's one of those things that make you go "hmmm???". Why don't they have ANY bottom or side feeds? Seems strange to me. Any chance Iwata does own some designs that nobody's allowed to remake?

From what I saw in the patent docs they don't own anything but the cap holder on the handle thing. That doesn't mean they don't have some kind of no compete agreement type thing going...idk.
My guess is that gsi simply buys models with the most popular options, BC that's what sells.
After all they are actually a material tech company specializing in nano fibers that bought gunze which had a hobby division....which airbrushing is only a small part of.
I think part of iwatas airbrush success is the iwata medea division which just focuses on airbrushes and art....so they are actually kind of trying at being an airbrush company.
That's my take anyhow.

And I think gunze sangyo actually used to do like groceries and all kinds of stuff....idk I can't recall exactly from when I looked into them.

It is not just Creos, Mr Hobby, or whatever, but a trend in Japanese airbrushing altogether to drop models in favor of the larger "C" cup gravity feeds. Side feeds have never shared the same popularity (as in sheer numbers) from any maker...

I found this thread really interesting, in that there are actually people (and knowledgeable ones), out there who have owned and used these
and say they are as good if not on par with Iwata HP-C's and Microns, and at a third of the price.
My only concern with any of this is that they seem to only in the USA. Not sure about Supplies of these, and more importantly, Spares parts
easily available in the UK (I need to do some checking on this yet).
Thus, if the items and spares are easily available in the UK then it could be a winner for me. Saying that, you all state that Original Iwata parts
fit, so besides their exorbitant pricing structure, I could buy and fit those I guess.

I bel
I found this thread really interesting, in that there are actually people (and knowledgeable ones), out there who have owned and used these
and say they are as good if not on par with Iwata HP-C's and Microns, and at a third of the price.
My only concern with any of this is that they seem to only in the USA. Not sure about Supplies of these, and more importantly, Spares parts
easily available in the UK (I need to do some checking on this yet).
Thus, if the items and spares are easily available in the UK then it could be a winner for me. Saying that, you all state that Original Iwata parts
fit, so besides their exorbitant pricing structure, I could buy and fit those I guess.
I believe air-craft.net carries the line in the UK. Mr.Hobby is the listing.

I bel

I believe air-craft.net carries the line in the UK. Mr.Hobby is the listing.

Thanks @DaveG, will have a good ganders at the site. And thanks for the detailed info on 'other' makes of brushes, if anything
it at least shows other people out there that there is more than 'one' decent brush that is probably more affordable.

You also have amazon,emodels,manmodels
And lion art in Holland is often raved about here. Air craft is the only one that lists parts, but I've seen it said that lion art may get them if asked.
Also AFAIK spraygunner here will ship there without going crazy on shipping and can sometimes be still cheaper than some local sources.
Of course, if youre looking at 770 than even if you had to get a head assembly from here it would still be far and away less pricey than a micron head.
All In all I've seen more people so far replacing iwata parts with gsi than the other way around though.

I'm gonna state something that may be kind of obvious, but maybe overlooked - as long as it fits, no matter what you strap a Micron head on, it will work like a Micron. The performance of a Micron starts at the point air enters the back of the head assembly, and travels forward from there... How it gets to the head is basically irrelevant. It is very cool that several of the Mr. Hobby/Creos brushes offer the exact same mount for a head that is used on the PS770, and the Microns.

You can have also used the front end off of the PS770...

can anybody translated those to iwata comparable, so I get the clue how much I would save? I would really appreciate.
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Mr-Hobby-Airbrushes.html
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Airbrushes.html

the reason is I am planning to move slowly up the ladder. I think it would be a real shame if I would waste money if there is no need .
pick one that has the features you like, and go from there. They are all quality, and they all work the way an airbrush is supposed to - it is kind of silly to compare it to an Iwata, simply because there is really no need - they are good airbrushes, period.

pick one that has the features you like, and go from there. They are all quality, and they all work the way an airbrush is supposed to - it is kind of silly to compare it to an Iwata, simply because there is really no need - they are good airbrushes, period.
thanks DaveG.

can anybody translated those to iwata comparable, so I get the clue how much I would save? I would really appreciate.
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Mr-Hobby-Airbrushes.html
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Airbrushes.html

the reason is I am planning to move slowly up the ladder. I think it would be a real shame if I would waste money if there is no need .
This is how I think of it,
Ps270/289 compares to HP b+ HP c+
Ps770 obviously cm-c+ with cmb+ needle , nozzle aircap.
PS 290 to hp-th
267 and 274 I'm not entirely sure....may compare more to revolution or more to plus series as well ... They use plus nozzles i think , but ....idk about the aircaps or as much detail on those.
Other than 770 and 290 none are direct comparisons.

This is how I think of it,
Ps270/289 compares to HP b+ HP c+
Ps770 obviously cm-c+ with cmb+ needle , nozzle aircap.
PS 290 to hp-th
267 and 274 I'm not entirely sure....may compare more to revolution or more to plus series as well ... They use plus nozzles i think , but ....idk about the aircaps or as much detail on those.
Other than 770 and 290 none are direct comparisons.
Thanks Robby.

Back