First portrait

sweet are you going again this year??

You bet !
I'm going to make absolutely sure that nothing prevents me from going.
For me this is the "must go to" show of the year :encouragement:
Pinstriping and airbrushing under one roof. It doesn't get any better !
Well, there's also the burlesque :love_heart:

inked_swagga, Graywolf, Strictly and Norm, thank you for your comments and encouragement.
It's much appreciated.
I tried the same portrait again and it was awful. I just couldn't get the mouth right and my airbrush was stuttering and spitting....
What a downer.
I worked on the airbrush first by getting the paint mix and pressure to a point where I was getting more consistent results. Yes, it was back to the lines and dots, etc.
I had another go at the portrait and concentrated solely on the mouth. I think I ended up doing this 10 times before i got a reasonable result.
Then I did the whole portrait again and I'm on my fifth attempt.
I think I'm getting there now so should be posting a follow-up picture soon.

looks good! you seem to know what to do to make it better next go around, so there is no critic from me!! thats great that you understand what needs to be done, that is always a hard thing to get at first.

Thank you, Seamonkey and topangler81. Your comments are much appreciated.

OK, I thought it was about time for an update.
This is the fifth portrait attempt and it's the first one that I've felt I'm actually starting to get somewhere.
It's not finished which at least shows I didn't go too dark straight away !
I think the paint may have been too thin this time so I'll try a little less reducer next time.
The white in the hair is reflection from the camera flash due to my poor photographic skills. It's not white paint .... honest !
Anyway, for better or for worse here it is ....

portrait2_zpsd6c7a555.jpg

Wow Stevie what a great improvement to an already great first try. I like that you c&c yourself it will help me a lot now that I am about to start trying the portrait also. So thanks for posting all that you have done. What's the white stuff in her hair.... I'm just kidding great job.

That is a great improvement Stevie, what paint mix did you use? It's a lot lighter and more subtle around the face this time. Keep on going, take your time and you will see your results improve even more.

Thanks again for sharing.

Lee

It's really cool reading this as I am just now working on Cameron as well. And reading what went well for you and where you encountered difficulties definitely helps!
I think your work looks really great - keep it up!

That is a great improvement Stevie, what paint mix did you use? It's a lot lighter and more subtle around the face this time. Keep on going, take your time and you will see your results improve even more.

Thanks again for sharing.

Lee

Thanks, Lee. Paint mix was 10 drops Createx transparent, 3 drops Createx opaque black and 10 drops reducer (water). Air pressure was about 30 psi. The paint was just a little too thin. I think this was because the drops of water were a bit larger than the drops of paint so the water content was probably more equivalent to 15 paint-sized drops. I'm going to try again with less water.

Thank you, all, for the kind and encouraging comments.

I'm glad that my humble efforts are of some use to my fellow newbies :eek:

Hi Stevie
Great first attempt Buddy.
And the fifth portrait attempt is amazing
This is proof that "Practice makes perfect":applause:
Keep em coming
Regards
Keefy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back