First Time Airbrush ... Crikey!

busanga

Double Actioner
so tried my first airbrushing today... crikey! you guys make it look easy.. but am getting the hand of the double action, still occasionally let the air off at end of dot or line instead of follow through. i shoot target rifles and when i tried shotgun clay pidgeon, i had same issue ..is a follow through , but i will get there, only had a couple hours today, like i say , first time.

which leads me to a weird question... are there any dry run excercises to practice , without actual painting.. basically sofa training exercises, sounds odd, but like training for form with archery, do hours without actually firing arrow, practicing form... i have been playing with the airgun , just working the trigger , double action, while am sitting around, trying to build muscle memory, but not sure if that is a good thing or not..

to get the feel for the trigger you need air pressure so you can practice without using any paint by just listen to the air and if you want to see what happens when you pull the trigger you could use water and watch the spray pattern but in my opinion it is always best to play around with some paint I never did any dots , lines or dagger practice but went in the deep end by just playing around

yeah practicng with paint is the best way , will have to buy more black when i am back in UK,,, i can see myself going through a lot of that :)

another thing i noticed, is that was difficult removing the paint from the bowl which had dried ( the original line where paint was filled to). I guess this had been there awhile while i was practicing.

i ended up having to use a bit of thinners on a paper towel to remove it (i didnt put thinners in the bowl , just on a paper towel and wiped) the medea would not move it , at least not without a lot of rubbing. thiners moved it right off. then i wiped over with medea... i did not allow any thinners into the airbrush. is this ok ?

practise is something we all have to do, it can be structured like the common dots/daggers type of thing or just finding some paper and painting whatever you feel like doing.
the structured style of practice will get you to learn consistency and accuracy a little faster.
the common exercises are good to do at the beginning of a painting session so you can test how well your paint is spraying, and yes, it can differ each day depending on the weather they are also handy if you have weeks between painting.

What paint are you using?

Using Wicked Opaque, 4011 reducer and medea airbrush cleaner, eventually will be used to paint lures, once i know what i am doing . using in an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS 0.35 so am thining it down between 10 and 20% to see how it flows . i have a MAC valve so i set the regulator at 30 and adjust the flow rate down with the MAC if i am trying tiny dots and thin lnes etc.

main thing i see is getting that 'feel' for the trigger, when does the paint start to flow etc, how far back to pull . lke flying an RC Helicopter, got to feel the joy sticks, how they react.

Thinners/acetone/IPA are all useful for stubborn paint, just rinse well and your airbrush will be fine.
Personally I use Createx almost exclusively and find their “restorer” to be brilliant. Keep a little in an air tight jar (baby food size or smaller) and you can just dip a cotton tip in it as needed.

the only way to get a feel for the brush is to have the air connected.
in one of the threads there’s a ‘paint on glass‘ thread, I’ll find it and link it

Thinners/acetone/IPA are all useful for stubborn paint, just rinse well and your airbrush will be fine.
Personally I use Createx almost exclusively and find their “restorer” to be brilliant. Keep a little in an air tight jar (baby food size or smaller) and you can just dip a cotton tip in it as needed.

the only way to get a feel for the brush is to have the air connected.
in one of the threads there’s a ‘paint on glass‘ thread, I’ll find it and link it
yes i have air connected while playing with it, just dont always have time to do the actual paint, so play with water or dry (with air) , will check out the restorer. Thanks for that link will give that a try , got a few picture frames lying around the missus may not miss ... :)...if you dont see me on here for awhile...she missed them hahaha

Here's an Amazon link to a cloth you spray on with water and when it's dry it's ready to reuse.
Kind of like the idea of the ones that have the caligrapy printed on so can try following the lines and fillng the spaces as an excercise too.. AND is suitable for 3 year olds so i should be good ...hopefully.

Kind of like the idea of the ones that have the caligrapy printed on so can try following the lines and fillng the spaces as an excercise too.. AND is suitable for 3 year olds so i should be good ...hopefully.

Good old fashion kids coloring books are great for practise too. Most ‘dollar’ shops have them or you could download/print off the internet and stick that under glass to practise

If it's paint you are short of you can practice using food colouring, has the bonus of being a bit healthier too. Of course it will only work on paper or card (or cakes lol )

so tried my first airbrushing today... crikey! you guys make it look easy.. but am getting the hand of the double action, still occasionally let the air off at end of dot or line instead of follow through. i shoot target rifles and when i tried shotgun clay pidgeon, i had same issue ..is a follow through , but i will get there, only had a couple hours today, like i say , first time.

which leads me to a weird question... are there any dry run excercises to practice , without actual painting.. basically sofa training exercises, sounds odd, but like training for form with archery, do hours without actually firing arrow, practicing form... i have been playing with the airgun , just working the trigger , double action, while am sitting around, trying to build muscle memory, but not sure if that is a good thing or not..

I don’t know if there’s any kind of “dry firing” techniques that one can do with an airbrush. Practice pretty much has to be done with the airbrush loaded with paint. You can work on basic strokes and handling. Another thing is using basic masks to paint spheres, cubes, tubes, etc. It’s a good way to gain a lot of practice, and learn how to use an airbrush to simulate lighting, and other effects on an object as well as texture and shadowing. Another technique that’s really helpful for practice are coloring books. You can buy a pack of 10 of them from a dollar store, then use them for practice at home. It’s a good way to figure out how to airbrush images without the extra hassle of how to draw them to start with.

Back