First try with a photo reference, advice please.

Thanks guys! :)

I've put about five hours into this dog portrait and I guess I'll have to put at least another ten hours in it.

It's beginning to have a 3D feel now, it kinda pops out of the paper. I can tell I had a rush when I first realized that. unfortunately it doesn't really show in the photos.

I'm humbled by your comment sebastra.. :)
But I'm not the guy to make a tutorial. I'll have to focus 100% to get this thing sorted out. All I can say is that one need to be extremely delicate with the blade, not doing to many scratches at the same spot on each layer. Or else you will tare the paper apart. You also need a high quality paper made for airbrushing to get it right. I'm painting on Schoellershammer #4.

Here's where I call it a rap today.

4912d26a90c74f0c948d8622d1441bfd.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408571132.434247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408571132.434247.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
ha, you don't need hep at all! you're doing a fabulous job. i'm envious of your scratching technique. Can i bug you, or anyone looking at this thread for a good scratching technique tutorial? I cant for the life of me get the hang of it
I havnt really got enuff experience to give you a TUT, but as matwes says you need a decent surface to work on, i done a pic on card and it tore it up, also brand new blade helps i went thro quite a lot. I know haasje has a fur TUT on here there might be a bit about scratching in that. Oh and i found if i held the blade horizontally it was easier, but that might just be me. Sorry cant help anymore

One more hour on this one.. messed it up around the right eye, crap!
Does anyone have an idea on how to save this? Color is E'TAC transparent.

Please...

e61ec19b81adb65462bec32f1f9cfcaf.jpg

4518801b9e13f0346ea3e9d9e247a868.jpg

Might try eraseing it down and work it back up, Or try fading out from the eye and adding another layer without scratching quite so much letting it blend into the other layer,Then maybe adding another to the whole picture to blend everything together.(like doing a real flame job pushing it back then bringing it foward)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I let it sit over the night and tried to erase it now in the morning when it was all dried. Will erase some more when I get home from work later today. There might be a chance I can save it. I must say the Schoellershammer paper is very, very sturdy and can take a lot of punishment.. :p

That is looking fantastic. Tou are really doing your best friend justice.

Looking great m8, reminds me of one I did eons ago and one I always really liked (Used to own rotty's) more and more layers though, go mental with gradual color changes, a piece like that has lotsa colors and more and more layers helps achieve it, working with opaques, much can be fixed.Well done. Just keep building layers, ya doing well and finish strong LOL :) May the Force Be with You....

Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind comments! :thumbsup:

This is done with a transparent E'TAC Private Stock Sepia Smoke. I'm reducing the color 1:4:1 (color/Marissa FX reducer/distilled water) which gives a creamy and smooth color with almost no tip dry at all. Very nice to work with on low PSI.

Back