Firt project on wood and was not sure for the prep.

WhiteKnight

Code Dragon Slayer
Hi everyone,

I want to paint on a small wooden box and I want to keep the wood finish. At first I tough I would stain it and varnish it, then buff the area I will add my artwork on and then varnish it again. But now I'm not too sure if it's the best or if I can just paint on the stained wood and varnish after.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Than you in advance.

Hi everyone,

I want to paint on a small wooden box and I want to keep the wood finish. At first I tough I would stain it and varnish it, then buff the area I will add my artwork on and then varnish it again. But now I'm not too sure if it's the best or if I can just paint on the stained wood and varnish after.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Than you in advance.

Simply do exactly as you said, treat your would and finish it with your varnish, and then scuff it up a little with fine scotch brite where you want to paint, it would depend on which type of stain you used whether or not you can paint straight on top of it, some wood stains only color the wood and anything applied afterwards would also discolor the wood, so I would recommend varnish or clear coat in any case just to be sure.

great thread man!!!i was thinking in doing some thing similar in the near future!!!

Back