Fixing clearing

Diegojavbau

Air-Valve Autobot!
I know it can't be done , LOL.

I do some layers of clear on my skull over aluminium and the surface look rough , so I want to sand it a little to smooth the surface and the clear again trying to get a more even coat.

Any advice is welcome , including the grit to use , why no to do it , etc

Thx in advance

If it's going to be cleared again, use 600 grit wet sand paper , clean it off and clear again. You need 600-800 grit or the clear won't bind. If it just need a polish, orange peel is common, start with 1000-1500 depending how much clear is on it and how bad the peel is, again wet, wetting the paper often in a bucket of water or by spraying on the surface, then move in to 2000 and then polish.

I was thinking that the rest of the acrylic 1k laquer that I'm using maybe is not enough to finish the layer after sanding , so I went to the paint shop to buy some more ... and guess what ? factory is not delivering this kind since 2 months ago , so all the shops run out of it

I only can find here 2k acrilic laquer and 2k urethane , that I'm not think that will be a good idea to spray over the 1k acrylic laquer

I was thinking that the rest of the acrylic 1k laquer that I'm using maybe is not enough to finish the layer after sanding , so I went to the paint shop to buy some more ... and guess what ? factory is not delivering this kind since 2 months ago , so all the shops run out of it

I only can find here 2k acrilic laquer and 2k urethane , that I'm not think that will be a good idea to spray over the 1k acrylic laquer

If you wait 7-10 days and make sure the acrylic lacquer is fully cured, then wets and with 600 grit, you can then spray the 2k urethane on top. Even better might be to wet sand age lacquer now so it opens up the paint to cure more. I did my bike with lacquer first time around, realized it melted too easy with gas, so re cleared with urethane a few months later and it was good to go. Just watch the Underlying film thickness isn't to thick .

Back