Fixing rattling Silentaire compressor suspension springs

Drastion

Double Actioner
I have an old Silentaire compressor. The problem is the suspension springs have gotten worn and now do not hold the pump in place properly. So now it seems like the pump is hitting the supports inside the casing. Now my silent compressor is louder than an oil free diaphragm compressor.

Does anyone know of a tool you can use to draw the suspension springs out a bit? That way the spring will be taught again and keep the pump in place.

Not sure if something like that is out there. But they must have used something to install the springs at the factory. In my mind I am picturing some kind of wine cork puller device. But I have no idea how to describe it properly for Google to give me helpful results.

I got a battery powered compressor to keep going. It works surprisingly well with a inline MAC valve even with a Passive AB. It would just be nice to get the old bird quietly humming again.

you can try and pull up on it a bit and wedge something in between,
It may stiffen it up enough to help

If you can remove the spring you can go to the your local hardware store and find one to replace it. Keep in mind that old spring has stretched over the years so shoot for on 1/4 inch short.
I replace the ones on my neighbors silent air and it is all good now.

If you can remove the spring you can go to the your local hardware store and find one to replace it. Keep in mind that old spring has stretched over the years so shoot for on 1/4 inch short.
I replace the ones on my neighbors silent air and it is all good now.
How were you able to remove them and put them back in?

I am now a bit worried I may mess up whatever is holding the spring in place if I just force it out.

You could maybe try something like this tool, only with the metal parts swapped around so they stretch rather than compress!

View attachment 89287
I have been trying to figure out a tool. Since there is so little room in there not much will work.

Was thinking of threading a bolt into the spring with a nut on the end. Then sliding a notched piece of metal into one of the coils. Then tightening it with some spring cup parts to draw the spring upwards.

you can try and pull up on it a bit and wedge something in between,
It may stiffen it up enough to help
That is an idea. Something to lock it in place to keep it from drawing back down.

Starting to think the springs were to long to start with. They are not really stretched out more of buckled. The coils look like a stack of coins if you slid the top half over a bit.

Back