For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Flaked Panel, Skullz and Old School Flames.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by SiRoxx, Sep 6, 2019.

1. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Thank you Good Buddy. Yes, my Nephew was really excited to hold the water sprayer and help wet sand. Mainly because he decided to shoot my feet with water while I was sanding lol.
    jord001 and Mr.Micron like this.
  2. Woodpecker

Woodpecker Double Actioner

Nice effect. Flakes are quite large.
    When I purchased my first good spray gun, it was a devilbiss lvhp suction fed with a 1 litre pot. Got it in the early 80's when I started working for different body shops each week, instead of staying in 1 shop. Cost me around 200-250£. A week's wage back then!

Fantastic gun, perfect atomisation, well balanced when painting roofs, bonnets. Never leaked paint from the lid thanks to the plastic inner lid. The clear coat back then was thicker and required 15% thinner, but was still thicker than todays clear. High pressure needed to get the right atomisation. Loads of overspray of course, and if the oven fan was crap you had trouble seeing anything in front of you.....and some so-called bodyshops were just crap.

As time progressed, the paint became thinner with less pigment, thanks to h&s. New guns were brought in to compensate, the gravity hvlp, with a half litre pot. Nozzle sizes remained similar. On certain paints they just did not work, on the newer paints it was adequate. The build of paint was not similar, the new paints had less build but came out good, but the depth of colour was not as good.

A gun finish, to me, was a job that was like glass...no orange peel, no dirt, no polishing needed.

With the advent of water-based paints the hvlp gravity became the norm. Reasons given are not completely true. In the 80's and 90's paint was dearer than it is now. 5litres of top quality clear was around 120, you can get 5 litres of clear now for less, and 120 then is probably 300 now. It is thinner, and requires a different application, and with less air pressure...less atomisation, less waste, and a smaller pot needed, plus very few full resprays are done now, back in my day we did full spray jobs constantly.

So I succumbed to the use of the hvlp guns. Yes, you use less paint/clear, the finish can be good if done right, but the guns themselves make no difference. I have used very expensive guns, and cheap Lidl/Aldi ones, or ones off eBay for around 30 notes. I found absolutely no difference in the end result using either. I can get a perfect gun finish with any of them. I have cheap ones here that I have had for years, they still work fine, and I have painted full repaints on motorbike plastics/tanks/car panels, and various other items using them. Rarely do I ever need to flat and polish.

I know to some people a brand name speaks volumes, but to me something either works or it does not. The paint we spray today can be sprayed through virtually any gun that works normally. The spray fan width is the same with them all, as is the amount of fluid allowed in via the control valve, this is all set by ourselves before painting commences. The difference between a £500 gun and a £30 gun?.....the name.

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk
  3. Woodpecker

Just looking through my hard drive and found these 3 pics.
    First is my old mk4 cortina and my fzr1000 exup I repainted.
    Second is my Plymouth Barracuda I rebuilt when I co-owned a bodyshop.
    Lastly an Astin Martin I repainted while working for someone.
    Never really took pics of jobs I did........otherwise I would have thousands!

Attached Files:

jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  4. SiRoxx

Yes sir, I agree that a skilled painter can achieve excellent results with any tool. Neither of my guns are expensive really, but they’re nice quality and as a beginner I find them quite forgiving. Which is great as it helps to boost confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 likes this.
  5. SiRoxx

Very nice photos. Those are some interesting machines to be painting too. I always dig the Aston V8.

jord001 likes this.
  6. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Very nice board!:thumbsup:
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  7. Woodpecker

I was no different when I started painting. Gaining confidence is very important, and will make all the difference. I could fill a book with stories about bodyshops and the people that worked in them, and the owners.

The shortest job I had was 3 hours...lol. I started at 8am and by 11 I had enough. I told the boss to stick his job up his proverbial....what a joke the place was. You had to go to some ahole sitting behind a sectioned off area, which resembled a security area where they sit behind a gridded steel fence.....just to get some 600 flatting paper, and you were only allowed 1 sheet!!

Man,....I do not have the patience for that kind of bs.

8. Woodpecker

I painted some very nice machines in my years. I also painted some right pieces of crap for unscrupulous car dealers. Restorations of collectables is my forte, especially the American muscle cars...of which I owned a few.
    I said to my wife the other week that if I had put all the cars I had owned in a warehouse I would be worth a few million. Cars which we picked up for peanuts are now worth thousands......instead I became a car refinisher! I changed my cars as often as I changed jobs, usually weekly. It's the same still today, car painters are always in demand.

9. SiRoxx

Thank you Micha, I’m pretty pleased how it turned out. Fingers crossed the clear coat process goes smoothly.

jord001 and Micha der Wolf like this.
  10. SiRoxx

I love Muscle cars. I’ve never owned one, but would love a 68/69 Camaro to paint one day. Or a 69 Chevelle SS. Something that sounds just nasty.

jord001 likes this.
  11. Woodpecker

Funnily enough that is the car I picked for my practice in fusion 360. I am into car design, but rodded. So I found a blueprint of the camaro to practice on. Only recently started, so nowhere near completed, but I hope to get some sort of decent job done. I then intend to print it out as a miniature on the resin printer I ordered.
    Might all work out....might not, but a good learning curve will be gained either way.

Between my friend and myself we owned quite a few muscle cars. Yes, the roar of the engine is something else, and coupled with a decent exhaust system there is no sound like a thumping v8.
  12. SiRoxx

That sounds really cool. Make sure you keep us updated in the forums!

jord001 likes this.
  13. Woodpecker

Very difficult to mold the car to my preferences........especially being so new to fusion 360. Anyhow, I have a shape....:poo:...lol, it is based on the Camaro, but more modern. I had to take a few screenshots so I can put it into sketchbook to start working on detail.......lights, vents, windows, trim, etc. So you may as well see it so far, in its crudest form. The wheels are there, but not detailed yet.
    I won't bother starting a new thread as I doubt many would be interested in my pastimes.

Attached Files:

bad65, jord001, SiRoxx and 1 other person like this.
  14. SiRoxx

Looks good so far. You might be surprised how many people are interested. I know there are a few other members into 3d printing and similar.

Woodpecker likes this.
  15. Woodpecker

TBH....this forum is supposed to be the most active on the net. Most of the activity is from well established artists that do it for a living. I looked at a few and went to their web page and they had pretty much the same posts as they put up here.

It is the same with most forums that involve an activity where money can be earnt. You get all the ones that in reality are advertising themselves. They rarely partake in conversation with other threads. The few such as us are generally ignored...... probably because we are not elite enough...lol

Over the course of a few years I had the odd notification of posts in certain threads, that's why I never bothered coming on here til recently.

The members that join just to get help with a certain aspect because they are new to ab, generally are never heard from again, once they get their answer, and rarely say thanks.

So I guess it is time for me to disappear again, I'm not going to put up posts that are simply ignored, waste of time in my opinion....or have 1 or 2 short replies.

So good luck in your painting, hope all works out well for you.

16. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Wow....with that said, I guess we should have jumped at the chance to reply to you....NOT
    Just my personal opinion....see ya
    SiRoxx likes this.
  17. Woodpecker

Peculiar how criticism always gets a reply....even when the post was obviously for 1 person. Who are "we"? You mean all 2/3 of you lol

Too many influencers and commercial artists does not make a good forum. Likes being handed out constantly does not make a good forum. In my world conversation rules, but alas, the webs world is one of emojis, critics', advertising, and those that promote their services.

Don't take it so personal, it is what it is, nothing will change....it hasn't in the few years I kept away. If you had digested my previous post correctly, I was not aiming it at any 1 person, and certainly not those that actually reply with more than 3 words.

Getting defensive, or shirty/annoyed, is simply proving my post had reason....why else would you reply in the fashion you did?

At least when I reply I give a good account of myself, not a couple of words, or a brief sentence.

18. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

If you feel the need to disappear again, why did you post an announcement on someone else's thread?
    I am really sorry you feel this way, but your comments about the artists here was uncalled for. This is not anywhere near what happens on, oh lets say, Facebook. Sure, some artists make a living airbrushing, and are members here, and they also help others with the knowledge and experience they have worked hard to achieve. No where in the rules does it say everyone has to reply with a small novel...lol...I have been a member for years and have not seen anyone "pushing product"or themselves. Just because they state what they use, does not mean they are trying to sell you something or when they show there technique, they are not asking for you to become a customer.
    I do not understand your expectations when posting. Most members contribute what they can to help and are not here just for the attention. Going by what you posted, it seems you are after the latter. I guess you need to go and stick with social media like Facebook.
    I am not being defensive or am I annoyed...I just do not like it when members, who have become friends, are attacked. We have seen people come and go, so if you find the need to move on, then so be it. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Cheers
    jord001 and doc1 like this.
  19. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Very nice work Si, @SiRoxx , the candies have come out really nicely. It should really pop when you get some clear coat on it.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  20. SiRoxx

Sorry you feel that way Woodpecker. Thanks for the well wishes.