Frisket and masking paper

Ricktarsprayer75

Mac-Valve Maestro!
1st time on here for 6 month, been resurfacing britains roads and now have 5 month off. Ive been stocking up on paint, materials and a new bambi compressor. Ive also built a workshop and bench and painted it" light jasmine". ITS NOT WHITE....inside. i have everything i need apart from masking material. I know airbrushing is suited to hard smooth mediums but im wondering about using paper as i have a couple of a2 size pads. I also have bristol board for serious stuff. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldnt mind answering. What is the difference between matte and gloss frisket and what would be their application? Can i use it on paper or is it too tacky? I have heavy and fine grain paper. What can i use to mask over paper? Ive used decorators masking tape and took off the tack by repeatedly sticking it to my arm( NO FUN AT ALL). It still pulled the paper. Should i just avoid paper ? I will try different tapes and experiment anyway but a nod in the right direction would be helpful. The gloss/matte frisket thing is puzzling me though. Cheers

OK first rule with frisket, DE TACK IT heaps before you use it. Depends on what you are doing. I use paper stencils a whole heap, position them with magnets. I use frisket occasionally but generally I find it is more of a hassle. I wouldn't use it on paper.

I will try the magnet route, cheers. Ive never tried putting a background in anything ive sprayed so i was thinkink about how to mask the fore ground and vice versa. Ive only sprayed onto paper and wood so im interested to know what other mediums people use. Im looking forward to using the bristol board.

I remember that one Mark.
I have used frisket in the past but not that often. Usually paper stencils or application tape as its a lot less hassle for me. I also found that it's not the best for us on paper and some card. Not had any issue on canvas or hard surfaces.

Lee

I remember that one Mark.
I have used frisket in the past but not that often. Usually paper stencils or application tape as its a lot less hassle for me. I also found that it's not the best for us on paper and some card. Not had any issue on canvas or hard surfaces.

Lee

I stick to the loose shields and magnets, I have a full roll of frisket minus enough for one failed project but I keep this just for waxing my nuts before I go cycling and maybe grooming neighbor's dogs that do my face in, thanks to this infernal stuff one dog is actually still in therapy:)

I think ill give the frisket a miss for a while. Im going to be spraying onto paper for now so im going to persevere with loose stuff. Can only learn from experience i suppose. Thanks for the advice boys

I think ill give the frisket a miss for a while. Im going to be spraying onto paper for now so im going to persevere with loose stuff. Can only learn from experience i suppose. Thanks for the advice boys

If you get yourself a cheap magnetic white board or some kind of flat flat ferrous metal sheet like the side of an old fridge or such, you can hold loose shields and stencils in place with simple magnets leaving you both your hands free to work as already mentioned, the problem with frisket is that it can leave a sticky residue which can be very hard to remove, and working on paper or boards the frisket can lift parts of your artwork, the headaches it can cause are just not worth the risk, it's probably fine for motorbike parts and cars but on paper it's tricky stuff, even if you detack it, too high a pressure would blow it away causing even more problems, frisket free is carefree:thumbsup:

I stick to the loose shields and magnets, I have a full roll of frisket minus enough for one failed project but I keep this just for waxing my nuts before I go cycling and maybe grooming neighbor's dogs that do my face in, thanks to this infernal stuff one dog is actually still in therapy:)

Lmao thank god I saw this post. It's confirmed my second thoughts about buying it as I can see how it can be a hassle just by imagining it lol funny post though!!

I will try the magnet route, cheers. Ive never tried putting a background in anything ive sprayed so i was thinkink about how to mask the fore ground and vice versa. Ive only sprayed onto paper and wood so im interested to know what other mediums people use. Im looking forward to using the bristol board.

How does wood treat you vs paper?? I'm still beginning so I've only tried paper and construction paper. The regular paper seems to get too wet and never recovers no matter how light the coat is. And the construction paper seems to absorb too much if the paint is too thin. But my wooden table I use could use some more paint on it. ;)

Ive not sprayed any detail on wood but ive sprayed flags such as st george and union jack onto pine and olive wood. I found that the wood just sucked the pigment out of the paint and it appeared transparent. I resolved this by building up a white base first or an undercoat which gave the colour a solid base. Opaque paint stayed opaque with a white base. I have bought some bristol board to try and it is really smooth and stiff. I imagine i will have to be more careful about spiders and skating than when i use standard heavy paper but i also imagine the artwork will not be as wishy washy and blurred looking. I want to try spraying on board but am not sure where to get some from? The bristol board may work out but i can only find pads of a3 size., no bigger. Ive also been practising on the back of old wallpaper.... cheap and as a way of trying large artworks ideal.

Attachments

• 20151012_170230.jpg
    20151012_170230.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20151012_170336.jpg
    20151012_170336.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 12
I do a lot of painting on wood and use a sealer for all my lures(I soak them in it). That keeps the water out and lets the paint have a good base to stick to.
and being Its a sanding sealer you can also stain over it!

Back