Frisket/stencil adhesive suggestions

G

Gary Mills

Hi all - apologies, but it's been a long time since I last logged on here. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding frisket or adhesive tape they favour with stencilling...?

I only use airbrush as a small part of my artwork process (along with more extensive acrylic & coloured pencil work - have a look here: http://www.garymillsfineart.com/), and I paint onto line & wash board, sometimes primed, but most recently just onto the bare board. Where I want to cover large areas with hard edges, I'll use airbrush and stencil out the required shapes using heavy cartridge paper. I used to do this with tracing paper, but found it just too weak when wet. I've tried sheets of frisket, but couldn't get on with it at all.

To hold the stencil in place I use Scotch removable tape, which I swear by for various applications. However, I've noticed most recently (especially when I've not primed the board) just how much the adhesive residue hangs around. The gum from the tape appears to re-activate when it comes into contact with airbrush paint and becomes much more sticky, and is practically impossible to remove. I've actually more or less finished pieces and then noticed the gum - I can't get it all off, and everything I do seems to make it dirtier and more visible. All I can do is painstakingly paint over the affected areas.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a different brand of tape I could use that won't mix so badly with the paint (I'm using Com-Art opaque by the way)...? Any advice would be greatly received - many thanks in advance!

Most times I use ultra low tack vinyl designed for the scrapebookers . I also when possible put the adhesive side on my clothes to allow the lent make it even more low tack.
I also keep goo gone around for those times the vinyl wants to leave residue on the surface,
Your art work is fantastic by the way

Hi Gary. I’m pretty much the same as Mr.Micron, I use low tack masking tape and recently some 3mm vinyl fineline tape. Both seem to come off pretty well and I haven’t had any problems with residue. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most times I use ultra low tack vinyl designed for the scrapebookers . I also when possible put the adhesive side on my clothes to allow the lent make it even more low tack.
I also keep goo gone around for those times the vinyl wants to leave residue on the surface,
Your art work is fantastic by the way

Ok, thanks for this. What are 'scrapebookers' though? Cheers for the kind words! ;)

Hi Gary. I’m pretty much the same as Mr.Micron, I use low tack masking tape and recently some 3mm vinyl fineline tape. Both seem to come off pretty well and I haven’t had any problems with residue. Xx

Thanks - maybe I'll just switch to masking tape - is your low-tack stuff a specific brand?

I’m pretty sure it’s 3M brand. But I did get it a while ago.

Ok, thanks for this. What are 'scrapebookers' though? Cheers for the kind words! ;)
it is people who make family scrap books , We called them family albums back when I was young...
But it is a vinyl that is design to be able to be pulled up and then re-applied on types of paper which makes working on a hard surface a dream for me.

it is people who make family scrap books , We called them family albums back when I was young...
But it is a vinyl that is design to be able to be pulled up and then re-applied on types of paper which makes working on a hard surface a dream for me.

Oh sorry - yes, of course, I see what you mean now. Never considered that before - again, do you use a particular brand....?

Oh sorry - yes, of course, I see what you mean now. Never considered that before - again, do you use a particular brand....?
I will have to look at the brand name on it when I get home from work today being I think I have had the roll now for about 5 years (50 foot roll was 6 dollars US) I may have used 10 foot of it

I just use green painters tape made by 3M. Like Mr. Micron I also put it on my jeans so it is not as sticky when putting it over paint. I also use the transfer tape that is used to put on vinyl letters. I got a roll of 6" wide from mapleairbrush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Oracle 631 for my masking stencils that I cut on my Silhouette Cameo and for masking areas I use the green painters tape (Painters Mate). It comes in various widths.... You can get this at various builders stores, Walmart, Canadian Tire and even at dollar stores.
The longer you keep the tape on, the stickier it gets. I remove the tape and masks as soon as possible after painting.

I use what ever is handy, I have frisket, and application tape, masking tape, paper, and proper masking vinyl (oramask) when its going at a good price.

Lee

Back