Frisket -vs- Glad (brand) Press and Seal wrap...

D

Dart Vader

Has anyone ever tried using Glad (brand) Press and Seal wrap in place of frisket?
I realize that the width of Press and Seal is much less than that of some rolls of frisket, but saving the cash would be great. Here in the states a standard roll of Blick frisket, at 18" x 20', is nearly $30 USD. The Glad Press and Seal is only around 12" wide x 40', but the cost is less than $5 USD.
I am on a very limited budget for creative/recreational activities. If anyone has tried this material in the manner which I am requesting then I would really love to hear about your own personal results.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the overwhelming response... I'm gonna venture a guess and say nobody here has tried it...lol. I think the problem you'll run into is the press and seal type wraps you're talking about have a tendency to cling to themselves quite well, but not so much on other things. I would think a little bit of air pressure will probably blow it right off the canvas, or at the least move it around too much. Either way, I predict it will cause more frustration.

Do you have a particular project in mind that needs to be masked off? If so, give us an idea of what you want to do and maybe we can give you some other cost effective ideas to get the job done...

Ok, I tried the glad and it is a hassle!i use clear drawer liner. A lottle more than glad but works better! The glad kept un sticking so I had to tape the edges down then re draw my design over the tape and cut it out again. It works ok if you have to tape off large areas for over spray abd tape all edges down but besides that mot worth it! Hope that helps.

Ok, I tried the glad and it is a hassle!i use clear drawer liner. A lottle more than glad but works better! The glad kept un sticking so I had to tape the edges down then re draw my design over the tape and cut it out again. It works ok if you have to tape off large areas for over spray abd tape all edges down but besides that mot worth it! Hope that helps.

Ouch,
Thanks for giving that idea a trial run. The wife saw this thread because it was her initiative to try the Press-n-Seal.
Considering your experiment and description of the results I am going to give it a try when painting on a piece of plate glass that I found discarded near a garbage dumpster. May also work fairly well on the hard case that holds my bass guitar. I intend to run the Ibanez logo across the entire face of that case. The details of that logo I have not yet decided. May be my attempt at true flames, or some biomech design. Also considered doing the Chicago skyline inside lettering of that logo.
I'm off to the local market to get me some Press-n-Seal. Have an entire day without anything that requires shooting so its time to play...

So I did the experiment myself as well.
The only problem here is that I do not have the official "control" for this experiment because I have never used frisket. Therefore I have no experience on which to base my "findings".
For my experiment I referenced an extremely simple, very old outline of a rose which I once used in a larger tattoo pattern.
The Press-n-Seal did adhere to the paper fairly well, and I did experience some minor difficulties in keeping it flush with the paper.
Need more practice in cutting away the sections which are no longer required. In the image you can see where I cut too deeply and white paper is exposed.
Overall though I am rather pleased with the results of this experiment. This is the first flower I have attempted to airbrush, and the first colorful piece attempted as well. My color mixing skills leave much to be desired...
But, for those of us who are chea... I mean working on a tight budget, then Press-n-Seal may be a viable, albeit slightly frustrating, alternative.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/members/darrenday-albums-experimental-stuff-picture9241-rose-1.html

I decided to start a new painting yesterday involving the use of a lot of frisket (The real brand name stuff) after trying to remove some and replace it I lost half of the work underneath, at this point I immediately lost my temper and lobbed the whole lot canvas and frisket over my 5 story balcony, my neighbour was walking her dog at the time and everything landed conveniently on the dog, fortunately the canvas behaves like a parachute in these circumstances and dog wasn't harmed, however it has no hair left on it's back after the neighbour rather vigorously removed the frisket.

The moral of this story is all friskit is good for is giving your self a good waxing before you go on a long cycling journey.

I started another painting today to cheer myself up, I won't say what it is, but it definitely won't make picture of the month but it will get a few laughs and anyone who feels a little inadequate thanks to Josh and VR will instantly have their spirits lifted.

I did the same thing madbrush and and a 14 dollar roll of frisket went back to hobby lobby THank god they are close. I havn'[t found a mask or a stencil that doesn' look like one. what do you do to fade the hard line. bentoad

I have used it but then I stopped because I noticed it leaving glue behind on my illustration board.But it might work well on other surfaces

Back