From no air to non-stop air....

wyvern03

Young Tutorling
Picked up an old Olympos HP-18c single action side feel awhile back, finally had time to play with it. Got no air whatsoever. Took apart the air valve assembly, and ran a soft brush down through the two holes that surround the air valve hole. Now as soon as the compressor turns on air is blowing. Any ideas? I'm guessing I'll have to see if the Olympos site has parts... at least I think I must have figured out where the problem is.

Hello,

I'm not familiar with that model but I'd suspect either a missing or defective o-ring, or a missing or defective valve spring.

Thanks,
Ismael

What's interesting is that I take off the air valve housing, attach the hose, turn on the air---and nothing happens until I press down on the air valve. Wonder if I can find a drawing somewhere.....

I don't have a 18C Olympos, So I am extrapolating from some pictures
There usally are 2 "O" rings one in the the valve body and one in the body of the brush that seals the trigger/ push button. You may need to check where the hissing air is coming from the nozzle/aircap or around the trigger or both.
And it looks like, the spring in the valve body is pulling double duty of lifting the trigger as well as seating the "O"ring in the valve body.
Next,,,, it is possible to put the piston in some air valves upside down leaving them always on due to the different lengths of the rods on each end of the piston.

I don't have a 18C Olympos, So I am extrapolating from some pictures
There usally are 2 "O" rings one in the the valve body and one in the body of the brush that seals the trigger/ push button. You may need to check where the hissing air is coming from the nozzle/aircap or around the trigger or both.
And it looks like, the spring in the valve body is pulling double duty of lifting the trigger as well as seating the "O"ring in the valve body.
Next,,,, it is possible to put the piston in some air valves upside down leaving them always on due to the different lengths of the rods on each end of the piston.
That's a thought... I'll check when I get home. The Olympos site said they don't have parts, but I should just buy a new one, and they convert from Yen to about $57 US. I also thought of just doing that, disassembling the new one, and comparing to the old one to figure it out, as the site also doesn't have any drawings available. Hopefully you're on to something and it's a simple fix.

Back