From oils to acrylics

T

traxx

Hi there,

I´m totally new to this forum and to airbrushing. I used to paint for many years with oils until I developed an allergy to linseed oil so I switched to acrylics.

With oils I could easily do very smooth gradations, as paint dried slowly, colors were very opaque and them didn't shift from wet to dry. I´m missing these qualities with acrylics and traditional brushes. That's why, I'm thinking about combining traditional brushes (for small subjects and details) + airbrush ( for sky gradiations, cloth folds, blurred backgrounds, etc.)

In a nutshell, I´m not planning to airbrush small details, but rather accurate, medium to big color gradations.

I´m not sure which airbrush should I get for my needs. Is perhaps an Iwata Eclipse HP CS a good choice?

I´d love to listen your thoughts and suggestions.

The CS is a work horse of an airbrush. What sized pieces will you be using it on?

You might be surprised at the incredibly small detail you will be able to get as well (have a look through the gallery). Combining different methods is pretty common though and you'll soon figure out What combinations will really suit your style. Many times Ive used combos of spraying and brushing on murals and scenery.
Anyway as you seem to have already figured, I think you'll love the range of things you can accomplish combining the two.

For the size you're working at and wanting mainly broader coverage just be sure not to get some pathetic little ninja jet compressor or something.

I recently fell off the oil wagon too, but exactly for the opposite reason. I got so tired of doing the smooth graduations, and I still felt that the end results somehow showed or implied brush strokes. Blending with airbrush is SOOOO much easier! I haven't missed oils for any minute at all since I switched. Yes, acrylic dries instantly, but it is also much easier to cover up with another go at it; something that was actually much harder for me with oil. Also, acrylics are less messy (provided you keep your spray vector in check). I guess acrylic has a certain stigma in the art world, and airbrushing is often frowned upon, of course. Using oils for painting may be the Rolls Royce, but using airbrush acrylics is the Tesla.

I agree with both Mr. Micron and RobbyRockett2's recommendations - get a big nozzle CS, and a real compressor with a tank.

Back