Fumes

LadyCharlie

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Soooo......I would like an education on fumes, please! My studio is a on the main floor of my house. Today I fired up my airbrush...(yes....I have finally kicked it in gear) and did a lot of experimenting. I was using Wicked and High Performance Reducer. I noticed heavy fumes. I have exotic birds - Macaws and a Cockatoo. Not a good combination. Do I need a filtration system? Use a different paint for experimenting? Too heavy on the Reducer? Please please don't tell me I have to move my studio into my garage. :cry:

Are the birds in the same room as you are airbrushing in ?
Rig up a spray booth so as you spraying paint all the over spray and fumes get sucked in and go through a filter system.
The paint you're using is fine as well as the 4012 what PSI are you spraying at ?

I would just get a cheap hobby spray booth or a cheap window exhaust fan anyhow.
Like this
https://www.amazon.com/COSTWAY-2-Speed-Setting-Reversible-Removable/dp/B07CVSSQG1/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542164174&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=window fan&psc=1

The paint is extremely mild but birds are very sensitive.

By fumes I'm guessing you are more referring to the dust cloud than the smell as wicked should only give a mild window cleaner smell.
I was unaware of any smells until I went outside and came back in. Honestly not being a smart a$$, I'm still learning to maneuver the airbrush.... I'm not creating dust clouds....yet!

I was unaware of any smells until I went outside and came back in. Honestly not being a smart a$$, I'm still learning to maneuver the airbrush.... I'm not creating dust clouds....yet!

You'll be surprised at just how much of a cloud there is, even at low pressure.
I also have birds so I appreciate your concern and its nice to see a responsible animal owner :)

If you have the ability to vent it externally then that would be the ultimate choice.
a good extraction fan is the key.

You'll be surprised at just how much of a cloud there is, even at low pressure.
I also have birds so I appreciate your concern and its nice to see a responsible animal owner :)

If you have the ability to vent it externally then that would be the ultimate choice.
a good extraction fan is the key.
After seeing Mr. Micron's post, I was thinking a good extraction fan installed in dryer venting right out the window. It's 25 degrees out here right now and Winter easily brings -25 degrees with the wind chill. While Robbyrockett2's idea was very good, I'd freeze my knuckles. Your thoughts?

After seeing Mr. Micron's post, I was thinking a good extraction fan installed in dryer venting right out the window. It's 25 degrees out here right now and Winter easily brings -25 degrees with the wind chill. While Robbyrockett2's idea was very good, I'd freeze my knuckles. Your thoughts?
I think you're dryer hose thing with one of these would be great
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inli...ocphy=9010174&hvtargid=pla-314983957332&psc=1

Use a piece of pink rigid foam insulation with a hole for a window plate.

Rubber band a filter over it to catch solids and bam.

make sure its a 'good' extraction fan, with a high CFM (moves lots of air ) , IF down the track you spray something a little more volitile then something that is designed for bathrooms etc will eliminate any spark hazard, although i doubt you'd spray anything more toxic that what you are already using if you have birds...... I wont spray insect spray, air fresheners or burn candles since i've got the birds.

I like Robbies last suggestion too

make sure its a 'good' extracion fan, with a high CFM (moves lots of air ) , IF down the track you spray something a little more volitile then something that is designed for bathrooms etc will eliminate any spark hazard, although i doubt you'd spray anything more toxic that what you are already using if you have birds...... I wont spray insect spray, air fresheners or burn candles since i've got the birds.

I like Robbies last suggestion too
I shall investigate further and get an ok before I start purchasing parts. Ditto on the candles, air freshener, Teflon pans, etc., Because of the birds. What kind of feathered critters do you share your home with?

I shall investigate further and get an ok before I start purchasing parts. Ditto on the candles, air freshener, Teflon pans, etc., Because of the birds. What kind of feathered critters do you share your home with?

Teflon is actually ok unless you have a habit of walking away and forgetting about it or have the heat way to high and it overheats.... if your pan is smoking then you have the heat WAY to high, but having said that I only use teflon for my eggs, everything else is cast iron

I have a pair of Eclectus........ and to save everyone googling....... this is what they look like, this is a google image not my actual pair (I'm at work lol )

upload_2018-11-14_14-29-6.png

You can get a regular box fan and get some thick filter and tape it to the backside(someone gave me a big role of air conditioning filter), you can double it up too, then put the fan (pointing away) close to where you are spraying and it should suck up your overspray you'll see it in the filter, it's an option if you don't want to blow your heat out the door.

Back