G'day from Oz

knoath

Young Tutorling
G'day all, glad I found this site, I've been reading a fair bit already, time to introduce myself.
I'm in VIC, Australia.
I have recently gotten in to 3d resin printing so I can make things for my slot car track... figures, rubbish bins, tyre bundles etc. I decided to get an airbrush (it's in the mail) a USB rechargeable all in one type.
I need it to prime my prints, figures are being brush painted but I thought I could try painting a few cars as well as weathering. So a cheap all in one seemed the right way to start. The spray can priming is just too heavy and thick, losing the detail the 3d printer can offer.
I have a few Tamiya paints alredy and I've read that they can be used in the airbrush... any advice on reducing them and cleaning is welcomed as I'm definately a newbie....
Cheers,
Dick

Welcome to the forum. I've built scale models and I'm fairly certain Tamiya makes water based and solvent based paints. You don't specify which one you are using, or both.

I clean water based with either 91% isopropyl alcohol or airbrush cleaner. Solvent based I use lacquer thinner. You need to know the type seals your brush has as lacquer will damage o-rings.

And just a hunch, you may want to sign your name Richard if that is your name. The forum has a reset mode for some words which does appear to have affected your post.

Welcome to the forum. I've built scale models and I'm fairly certain Tamiya makes water based and solvent based paints. You don't specify which one you are using, or both.

I clean water based with either 91% isopropyl alcohol or airbrush cleaner. Solvent based I use lacquer thinner. You need to know the type seals your brush has as lacquer will damage o-rings.

And just a hunch, you may want to sign your name Richard if that is your name. The forum has a reset mode for some words which does appear to have affected your post.
Thanks for the info 2Diverse
"Richard" ;)

Welcome aboard 'Richard'. I have edited the word filter, I don't think anyone is offended by the word Dick anymore, so you can now sign off as Dick.
As soon as I saw 'knoath' appear on the approval list I knew you were an Aussie lol
Welcome from Adelaide, we're almost neighbours !

Last edited:
Cheers Jack Eb! I'm not far from Hanging Rock in the Macedon Ranges so buying anything locally is not an option. Amazon etc. for me, it makes it hard when getting in to a new hobby as I like to hold items, have a good look at them and be able to talk to people who know... you learn so much more that way.
Sorry 2Diverse, I didn't answer your Q about the Tamiya paints.
I have the Acrylic paints, I'm going to try IsoPropyl Alcohol as a reducer, I looked at Tamiya's reducer and it contains mostly IPA.

Cheers Jack Eb! I'm not far from Hanging Rock in the Macedon Ranges so buying anything locally is not an option. Amazon etc. for me, it makes it hard when getting in to a new hobby as I like to hold items, have a good look at them and be able to talk to people who know... you learn so much more that way.
Sorry 2Diverse, I didn't answer your Q about the Tamiya paints.
I have the Acrylic paints, I'm going to try IsoPropyl Alcohol as a reducer, I looked at Tamiya's reducer and it contains mostly IPA.
if you are using Iso, please make sure you mask up and have plenty of ventilation. IPA is flammable

Yes, I know... I use it at work and as such, I will never run out!!!
oh that's a relief. I see so many say they use ISO or others that will suggest using it without any idea of the health issues/dangers.
I do use it on occasion for painting, I use it in the workshop regularly for cleaning stuff

Back